RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

Carbon frame Bottom Bracket: cable protection? and weird holes?

Simple question I think:

Do I need to protect my bottom bracket on my carbon frame from rubbing shifter wire (or protect the wire)?

I handed this bike over to my local shop to get it assembled and I took off the 'cockpit' with wiring before checking out how they routed the wire. It just never occurred to me. No 'plate' or cable guide was attached to protect the frame and I don't see how the wire would be routed except for along the seat tube between the chain stays (right?). And curiously the housing to the rear derailleur is longer... pic:

(bigger/wider pic: https://imgur.com/tcfLYaa)

More difficult question I think:

When I got my bike back from assembly, back in 2015 I think, I never checked the entire bike for any issues. Now that I'm putting drop bars and STi shifters on it I took a picture of the bottom bracket instead of turning the bike upside down, and found two holes. They are small and not symmetrically aligned.

What are they?
    Should I worry about them?

(bigger pic: https://imgur.com/ny8hHkh)

'brifter' is a lame word.
    My best guess would be that the lower cable in the photo (with the shorter orange liner) should be going into the small/lower hole. I have no idea why there is another hole like that right next to it...unless it's a drain hole for the chainstays. I'd have to see the frame to know for sure but it really looks like the front der cable would go through that one hole.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Thanks. I think you're right about that. There's a tiny hole behind the front derailleur on the seat stem and the cable now comes out of that hole. I hadn't seen it before it was so tiny.

So with that out of the way sort of - would you say I'd need something in either of the holes to protect the frame from the cable, or does it generally not really matter?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    On this frame I'd probably run a liner over the cable to protect both it AND the frame.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards