RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

which carbon handlebars have internal brake cable routing?

In preparation for build up of a new ride, I am looking for a carbon bar with internal cable routing. Other than the FSA K Wings (which I have on an existing bike) which carbon bars allow for internal routing? I like the K Wings, but the drops aren't comfortable for long periods.

I like wing shaped bars for climbing, but most are made to be wrapped from the drops to the bends above the hoods, and not all the way across the tops. If the bars do not have internal routing, do the brake cables dangle from out at the bends where the wrap is taped? Or do you need to tape them again closer to the center? Or run electrical tape along the length of the bottomside of the tops (and have the tape constantly falling off)?

(I know, I know. Totally ridiculous. Sorry. But these are the kinds of things you think about as you wait for a new frame to arrive...)
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

Old enough to know better
    I just got done doing like a two week research on basicly all the same bars your looking at, and finally made a purchase yesterday. The K-Wings were the only bar I came across that came right out and said the cables had to be run internaly. There were like 1 or 2 others out there that LOOKED like they did also but never said so I assumed they did not. I ended up going with these, http://www.velocarbon.com/hbar.html. On sale, Look awesome and Velo Carbon is super easy to deal with I certainly give them two thumbs up. One thing you ll want to make sure is that you have enough cable if you have to run the cable internaly. I ve read a few reviews on the FSAs where people literaly ran out of cable and had to go to the LBS mid project to buy more, just keep that in mind. I know I wasnt much help but the FSAs are one of a very few options you have.
    Good Luck
    Deastin

Get me to In&Out
    Cinelli RAM bars have the cable routed internally.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member

ControlTech Carbon Comp

They have dual internal cable routing.

DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Dirt Boy

I will assume that if the Dirt Boy speaks, then the Control Tech bars ain't going to be too heavy. Do you know how they compare to a pair of FSA K Wings?

Velo Carbon look awefully similar to Stella Azzurra's and a couple of other bars being sold direct via Ebay, which is not to say they are bad or too common, but I've also not seen a pair in my size (44 c-c) for sale anywhere. Add that I am able to get FSAs cheaply in Taiwan when I go there on business (not often, but soon enough), and it gets tough to beat the FSAs.

If only they would redsign the shape of the drops.....
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

RoadBikeReview Member

Well I have not weighed a set yet, but they are claimed @ 260g

for the 44cm and they are usally very close to claimed weights on thier new products. I have not tried the K-Wing yet so I can't comment.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin