RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Carbon paste and grease lifespan

I currently own a Cannondale Synapse. The carbon seatpost is held in place by two aluminum wedges tightened against each other by a stainless screw. As stated in the manual, I greased the screw threads and the faces of the wedges, so that any metal-on-metal is greased. I used carbon assembly paste on the post and seat tube and torqued everything to spec. Everything is holding firmly in place and it's now completely silent (was creaking a lot before using grease on the wedges faces).

I'm wondering if it's really worth it to disassemble all that, clean and regrease it from time to time? I unthighten the post and move it just a little from time to time to make sure it won't seize, but since I don't ride in the rain, I'm not sure there is a point to re-greasing static parts and re-applying carbon paste. As long as it's still quiet, I guess the grease is still doing a fine job, and without water there isn't any reason to worry about aluminum on carbon oxydation?

Forever a Student
    Stop untightening it and moving it just because.

Yes, you should mark the post with a piece of tape (height and orientation) and remove it every couple of years to replace the carbon paste. This is an every couple of years thing, not an every month thing. Once every couple of years is not too much to ask, and it should be done with everything on your bike that uses grease. Grease is a consumable.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Well I move it every six months or so. Haven't regreased it in 18 months. Maybe I'll do it before hitting the road this spring. Everything else on the bike has been regreased at the end of the season, I just asked my mechanic not to touch the seatpost during my year end maintenance.

By the way, I already use a piece of tape to mark height but for some reason I never thought of using it to mark orientation too. I always end up readjusting it two or three times before getting it right. I'm as awfull at doing it by eye as I am lining up my putts So thanks for the tip!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I have restored bikes from the Tucson area that had not been touched in many years, basically what we call barn finds, some left out in the weather. Even after many years in our dry climate with rusted chains and rock solid grease in BBs, hubs and headsets the posts will pull out with a tap or two on the saddle to get them moving. Every few years should be plenty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    remove it every couple of years to replace the carbon paste. This is an every couple of years thing, not an every month thing. Once every couple of years is not too much to ask, and it should be done with everything on your bike that uses grease. Grease is a consumable.
    This will vary widely with local climate, miles ridden, and weather conditions during those rides. I'm a "take it all apart, clean it, and grease it" once a year guy, but YMMV. Grease (and "carbon paste which is just grease with grit mixed in) are good for several years but a number of things can shorten that life span significantly.