Neophyte

Carbon seatpost rails, yay or definitely nay?

I've always avoided carbon rails because of cost and personal worries about durability... but there's a saddle I've been trying to get for some time and it's finally available but only with carbon rails.

I know my seatpost is okay for carbon rails, just hoping to get opinions from people who've actually ridden saddles with them... are my fears misplaced?

3/28 Edit: I know shape-wise the saddle will work for me, I have ridden same saddle with alloy rails for a long time but it was destroyed in a crash. It's taken a long time for me to find a replacement with the color scheme I wanted but I have only found that with carbon rails.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 03-28-2018 at 09:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    have a Selle Italia SLR w/ carbon rails...it's uber-light and fits my tush nicely.

have about 16K miles on it with no issues.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I've used carbon railed seats for a long time with no problem. My only advice is to get a seat post that has clamps that support the rails the full length of the clamp (both top and bottom) and not one that just pinches the rails in just a couple of places.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I've been using a "Specialized Romin" with carbon rails on one bike and with Ti rails on the other bike for about 4 years now. I've noticed no problems with either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    They're fine and are durable in normal use, but i've also seen them damaged in stupid freak accidents. I can't imagine getting very excited about a saddle i haven't put thousands of miles on, what's up with that?

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    They're fine and are durable in normal use, but i've also seen them damaged in stupid freak accidents. I can't imagine getting very excited about a saddle i haven't put thousands of miles on, what's up with that?
    I had the same saddle with alloy rails and put a lot of miles on it, liked it, but it got destroyed in a crash. It's taken me a while to find another with the proper color scheme, and now that I've found it, it's the carbon rail version.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you want a certain saddle for reasons of being comfortable and it's only available with carbon rails, I suppose that's a unique situation. (I doubt you know that's the case because you said 'finally available' but whatever).

But under normal circumstances I just don't see the point. You want to make sure you have an appropriate clamp that fits in the middle of the rails but I don't think there's much risk however I don't think there's any reward either so why bother taking any risk. But like I was saying if that's the only way you can get a saddle that would work well for you that's an exception to no reward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I've always avoided carbon rails because of cost and personal worries about durability... but there's a saddle I've been trying to get for some time and it's finally available but only with carbon rails.

I know my seatpost is okay for carbon rails, just hoping to get opinions from people who've actually ridden saddles with them... are my fears misplaced?

Edit: I know shape-wise the saddle will work for me, I have ridden same saddle with alloy rails for a long time but it was destroyed in a crash. It's taken a long time for me to find a replacement with the color scheme I wanted but I have only found that with carbon rails.
    Currently use both the Shimano Pro Stealth carbon rail and alloy. Previous to the Pro I used Specialized Romin carbon and alloy railed saddles...Durability has never been an issue for me. The main difference I have found with carbon rails v. alloy is the carbon railed saddles are less compliant/stiffer. Slightly less comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently switched from a Fizik Arione (Ti rails) to a Fizik Arione 00 (braided carbon rails). I'd guess I have 500 miles on the saddle... and can't tell the difference. I've heard the carbon rails take some of the vibration out. But, come on... just how sensitive are these guys' assess if that much carbon makes a difference? Maybe I'd feel it if ditched the chamois and aired up to 200 psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I recently switched from a Fizik Arione (Ti rails) to a Fizik Arione 00 (braided carbon rails). I'd guess I have 500 miles on the saddle... and can't tell the difference. I've heard the carbon rails take some of the vibration out. But, come on... just how sensitive are these guys' assess if that much carbon makes a difference? Maybe I'd feel it if ditched the chamois and aired up to 200 psi.
    Not sure if you are replying to my post but, to be clear I stated alloy was more comfortable...ime

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

3/28 Edit: I know shape-wise the saddle will work for me, I have ridden same saddle with alloy rails for a long time but it was destroyed in a crash. It's taken a long time for me to find a replacement with the color scheme I wanted but I have only found that with carbon rails.
    How much of you weigh? That would factor into the durability question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Your weight may factor into the durability. I'm a Clyde, right at 200 lbs, and wouldn't ride carbon rails. Reason? My riding partner, who is just under 200, maybe 190 or so, had a saddle with carbon rails. He was doing a hilly organized century and was about 2 miles from finishing when a rail broke suddenly causing him to crash. Broke his collarbone and have him a good case of road rash. Plus ruined his Orbea Spirit steel frame which he loved riding. We both vowed off carbon rails afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Not sure if you are replying to my post but, to be clear I stated alloy was more comfortable...ime
    Nah - just a general comment. I think the cost of carbon parts is often justified because it's "more comfortable" "takes some of the vibration out" etc. Ya hear this a lot with handle bars.

Full disclosure: I have have carbon handlebars, a carbon stem, carbon frame, carbon fork, carbon wheels, carbon seat, carbon cranks... carbon shoes. My bike soooo comfortable ;-)

Neophyte
    ~180 pounds

Right now I'm grappling with the high cost of the saddle...

Neophyte
    Decided to get it, here she is for the record:

Circa 2015-2016 Prologo Zero II PAS Nack

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Well on my 1st gen Foil whose frame was carved out of concrete (stiffness) I have felt saddles make a difference in bump absorption. The Charge Spoon (Cro-Mo rails) on it rides splendidly compared to to stock saddle. I could tell right away it rode smoother.

The question I have is, do carbon rails ride even better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Decided to get it, here she is for the record:
    Circa 2015-2016 Prologo Zero II PAS Nack
    I hope you have a full length clamp seat post. My Time NXS doesn't and Prologo was a no-go. They don't texture the rails like Fizik and Specialized do, and it makes a huge difference. I had to sell the Prologo and got a Fizik with braided carbon rails. The Prologo slipped with up to 8-Nm of torque on the bolts.