Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?

I thought it would be pretty easy to find a new carbon post that met the following criteria:
    Unidirectional matte finish with a clean overall look
    7x9mm carbon rail friendly clamp
    Reasonably lightweight
    Doesn't cost $600
    15-25mm offset
    Preferably a double bolt clamp that is easy to adjust
    250mm or more in length
    27.2mm diameter

I've done a lot of digging and I have not come up with many options. So far, the Easton EC 90 Offset looks like the one. Have I missed any seatposts that would meet the above specs?

Thanks
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach
    Cycle University

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 S-Works Tarmac SL4 Conador Edition Campy Super Record
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2012 S-Works Epic
    2009 Rodriguez Custom Steel Campy Super Record

Trigger Warning
    Jul 2010
    I bought a carbon seatpost directly from China. It's a clone. But for $46 I had it delivered.

<200grams, uncut 400mm

The one I bought isn't exactly what you're looking for but there are plenty of options on this website:
    Wholesale carbon seatpost - Buy Low Price carbon seatpost Lots on Aliexpress.com

metanoize
    I think this is the finest seatpost around! I have tried at least 10 seatposts in the last couple of years. This posts has slight flex which translates to incredible comfort. You can cut it too.

Syntace

This is the same seatpost but is from Niner Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost at BikeBling.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Fizik Cyrano carbon seatpost meets your criteria.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Other than the double bolt clamp, the Ritchey Superlogic fits the bill. Weight's about 150 g if I recall correctly. You'll have to buy a separate clamp for the 7 X 9 rails, which I did. I had my doubts initially, but the single bolt works well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Thanks for the help. I ruled out the Syntace because it is not offset. The Cyrano was initially at the top of my list, but I just can't get past the bronze tint which would look bad on my bike. I could maybe live with the bronze clamp, but my personal preference would be just plain flat black on the post itself.

The Ritchey was next on my list until someone on another forum posted that the clamp didn't work well with a 7x9 rail even after he bought the 7x9.6 clamp kit from Ritchey. I know that the Richey post is light and I love their stuff. What kind of saddle are you using with the Superlogic?

Thanks
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

Get me to In&Out
    I know itis a MTB post, but the RaceFace Next SL is awesome. I was looking for similar ofset and that is what I ended up with. Another was the Truvativ Noire. Look makes the Ergopost 4 that has great setback too. A more expensive option would be the Cinelli Ram.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Bronze? It is jet black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?-fizik-cyrano-carbon.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Name:  dorico_ltd_particolare.png
Views: 1454
Size:  56.0 KB

$250 from CC
    Last edited by TM-17; 10-23-2011 at 05:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    [The Ritchey was next on my list until someone on another forum posted that the clamp didn't work well with a 7x9 rail even after he bought the 7x9.6 clamp kit from Ritchey. I know that the Richey post is light and I love their stuff. What kind of saddle are you using with the Superlogic?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Using it with a fizik arione with kium rails. Aluminum bike now has much more supple feel over the rough.
    I read all kinds of complaints about set up. Mine took about 5 mins from box to bike . Another 30 secs to tweak after quick ride. Quiet and comfortable

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troda View Post
    Using it with a fizik arione with kium rails. Aluminum bike now has much more supple feel over the rough.
    I read all kinds of complaints about set up. Mine took about 5 mins from box to bike . Another 30 secs to tweak after quick ride. Quiet and comfortable
    I didn't thought the kium rails requires the 7x9 clamp, only the carbon braided rail does. Now I'm not so sure about that. If there are any doubts you could ask the Ritchey representative here.

I can recommend the Ritchey WCS UD Carbon Single Bolt seatpost which I'm using with a Fizik Aliante carbon braided saddle. It fits perfectly with the 7x9 WCS One-Bolt clamp kit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    How do you like the style of post - single bolt?

A weigh 220 lbs and i am 6ft 2in. I have been looking at these for awhile but kind of worried about seat tilt slippage.

I almost bought an FSA K-force light but it looks like the bolts will bottom out a flexy saddle like the Antares.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It looks very good to me and more important, it's very easy to adjust because it's stepless.
    I've just been using it for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any slippage, my weight is 165 lbs. I don't know why that should be any different from a double bolt system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Every picture I have seen of the Fizik post (including the one posted here) makes it look like the lettering on the seatpost is in a subtle shade of bronze. In fact, now that I look at it, the whole carbon post seems to be tinted compared to the black of the aluminum clamp, yielding a "two tone" kind of look.

You own one and you say the post is jet black, just the same as the clamp?

Regarding the S-Works Pave post, that is what I have on the bike right now, and it is not compatible with 7x9 carbon rails per Specialized. It's a great seatpost.
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Apexrider,

Thanks for the link to the Ritchey rep. The rep comments that the 7x9.9 kit works fine with the Specialized Romin saddle with 7x9 carbon rails, so it should work the same with the Toupe, as I imagine the rails are identical. The Superlogic may again be at the top of my list.

Can you confirm that the finish is matte and not glossy? Also, and I guess this is a question for the rep, I have seem the post listed with both 25mm and 30mm of offset. My saddle is perfectly mid-rail with 20; I can live with 25 but 30 would force me to move my saddle more forward than I want to.
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?-cyrano_carbon_verticale_width678_maxheight360.jpg

Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?-cyrano_carbon_width678_maxheight360.jpg

from the fizik website. best i could get with the color
    Last edited by TM-17; 10-24-2011 at 05:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    Can you confirm that the finish is matte and not glossy?
    Sorry I missed that, the Ritchey post has a glossy finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Yes, the Ritchey rep confirmed that the Superlogic has a gloss finish, but it does indeed work well with 7x9 rails. I was going to go with the Easton EC90 Offset until I checked with Easton. The EC90 post is compatible with 7x9 carbon rails, but not the EC 90 Offset! I may try the Fizik and if I don't like the way it looks, I'll send it back.

Has anyone tried the Crank Brothers Cobalt 11:

++ cobalt11 seatposts :: crankbrothers.com ++

Super light, matte and gloss finish, subdued graphics but with a flashy single bolt clamp. There is a 7x9 clamp kit available, but I am not sure how a rather short side clamp would treat a carbon rail.
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    Every picture I have seen of the Fizik post (including the one posted here) makes it look like the lettering on the seatpost is in a subtle shade of bronze. In fact, now that I look at it, the whole carbon post seems to be tinted compared to the black of the aluminum clamp, yielding a "two tone" kind of look.

You own one and you say the post is jet black, just the same as the clamp?

Regarding the S-Works Pave post, that is what I have on the bike right now, and it is not compatible with 7x9 carbon rails per Specialized. It's a great seatpost.
    Pics of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?-parts-021-972-x-648-.jpg   Carbon seatpost recommendation-what have I overlooked?-parts-019-972-x-648-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Thanks for the photos. Great looking post. It looks like everything is jet black except the bottom clamp and the small "Fizik" in the photos.
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

wing flex antares

I have to ask. How do you like the saddle?

I was going to get one but liked the Prologo Scratch. How does it compare to the regular antares?

can you post a pic of the antares/fizik post from the top down. like to compare it to the 3T doric where there have been complaints of the bottom bracket causing bib/short wear
    Last edited by TM-17; 10-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I wound up ordering the Crank Brothers Cobalt post with 20mm setback:

++ cobalt11 seatposts :: crankbrothers.com ++

I also ordered the 7x9 rail clamp which is black, not the gold of the standard clamp. The post has a stealthy look and weighs 150g for the 27.2x350, according to a Weight Weenies post.
    TOM
    Cycle University

2012 S-Works Epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by metanoize View Post
    I think this is the finest seatpost around! I have tried at least 10 seatposts in the last couple of years. This posts has slight flex which translates to incredible comfort. You can cut it too.

This is the same seatpost but is from Niner Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost at BikeBling.com[/url]
    How long have you been using this post? I like the idea, just concerned about durability.

metanoize
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
    How long have you been using this post? I like the idea, just concerned about durability.
    I've so far put 4000 miles on it. And I even cut mine to 280mm! I now have it on 3 other bikes. Syntace makes exceptional products. I've been using their older seatposts for 5 years with no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by metanoize; 10-30-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast