RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Carbon Ti titanium skewers,yay or nay ?

Yes,itís that time of the year again (birthday incoming) and wife told me ď ok what bike-ish present you need this year ? ď . So,I do like the idea of finally having those skewers but the more Iím aging the more iím becoming OCD about safety,thatís why I trust my brick like heavy Fulcrums QRs. Still,those Carbon Ti are sweet,been drooling at them for a while. Front one will go trough open/close quite often for bike loading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I've been using them for a few months and I don't have anything bad to say about them. They're so small they're a bit fiddly compared to sturdy skewers like Shimanos but that's expected. The rear one developed an annoying creak that was easily cured with grease. And the clamping force seems adequate enough. Now, are they worth the price? Probably not, but you can say this about many bike- related things

Sent from my LIFETAB_P970X using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    They have an external cam...bad. The skewer is Ti...bad. The lever is tiny...bad. Ever wonder why wheel companies like Zipp, Enve, and Bontrager don't supply super light skewers w/ their wheels? Waste your wife's money on something that won't possibly kill you if it fails.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spend your wife's money on a date night out at a restaurant. You'll get more joy that way and less frustration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    They have an external cam...bad. The skewer is Ti...bad. The lever is tiny...bad. Ever wonder why wheel companies like Zipp, Enve, and Bontrager don't supply super light skewers w/ their wheels? Waste your wife's money on something that won't possibly kill you if it fails.

M'kay,looks like she's gonna be massive facepalm over that Assos jersey price then..

RoadBikeReview Member
    How many grams do you think you will save with these skewers? Do you really think they will make you go any faster?

I agree with Kiwi. Peace at home is priceless.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Uh, yeah. That would be three strikes, and out!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Those are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by coresare View Post
    Those are fine.
    So we provide multiple reasons why they're not worth the money and this is your response? No personal experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I haven't had personal experience with those, but I know a shop owner who uses those with no issues. For me personally I'm using Tune DC skewers. Internal cam would obviously keep the mechanism cleaner, but my Zipps and Corima wheels both came with external cam and those seem fine too.

The levers on those skewers are not small either. I have opened and closed them. They provide enough leverage. More than many other weightweenie models.

The Corima wheels shipped with titanium skewers.. don't think there is a problem using this material. Enve and Zipp make titanium skewers also..
    Last edited by coresare; 05-23-2018 at 01:28 PM.

People have used tubular tape and survived...definitely doesn't mean I'm gonna take my chances w/ it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    People do lots of foolish things and usually they survive, but occasionally they don't.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'll second, or fifth, or whatever that skewers are a bad place to go stupid light. Titanium is brittle (there's a reason titanium spokes aren't popular, if they even make them anymore), external cams are inferior to internal cams (unfortunately the former is cheaper to manufacture and proliferates), tiny levers are hard to crank down tight. And all for what? maybe 25 grams?

I've got two bikes with horizontal drop outs and the rear wheel really has to get cranked on. I have old style Campy skewers on those bikes. Original perfection.

Get some fancy bottle cages.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Note that the SR-71 is 85% titanium and that design gos back to the early 60ís...
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Titanium is brittle
    This is false. Ti has a high modulus of elasticity which is part of the reason itís a great frame material.

I'll second, or fifth, or whatever that skewers are a bad place to go stupid light. Titanium is brittle (there's a reason titanium spokes aren't popular, if they even make them anymore), external cams are inferior to internal cams (unfortunately the former is cheaper to manufacture and proliferates), tiny levers are hard to crank down tight. And all for what? maybe 25 grams?

I've got two bikes with horizontal drop outs and the rear wheel really has to get cranked on. I have old style Campy skewers on those bikes. Original perfection.

Get some fancy bottle cages.
    Ti is NOT brittle and that's definitely not the reason Ti spokes aren't popular...quite the opposite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Note that the SR-71 is 85% titanium and that design gos back to the early 60ís...
    A large amount of titanium was rejected due to contamination while building these aircraft. Material handling was also paramount in keeping materials clean and contamination free. Really doubt they put any thought into this when churning out skewers.
    Having used Zipp titanium and Williams Carbon skewers, I came full circle and use Shimano Ultegra skewers and I will take the weight penalty. Seen some unfavorable results using titanium fasteners building 777ís, weight being extremely important in that applicationand Titanium fit the bill. Securing my wheels on my bike, I will pass.
    2014 Felt F2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    This is false. Ti has a high modulus of elasticity which is part of the reason itís a great frame material.
    Very true! It actually streatches and shears. 3T had problems with titanium fasteners as Iím sure others have as well snapping the cap head right off.
    2014 Felt F2

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll second, or fifth, or whatever that skewers are a bad place to go stupid light. Titanium is brittle (there's a reason titanium spokes aren't popular, if they even make them anymore), external cams are inferior to internal cams (unfortunately the former is cheaper to manufacture and proliferates),
    Nobody maufacturers ďtitaniumĒ skewers anyway. Itís alloyed. I generally agree that internal cam is best and it is in almost all cases. I have several pairs of Tune U21 skewers that would make u eat crow. However, they are sickeningly expensive. Lol. Definitely not the smart place to lose weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Zipp used to have those flimsy small external cam skewers.
    Enve used to have those flimsy Ti skewers that some people must have.
    Have these 2 companies switch over to Shimano-like skewers now??

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Zipp used to have those flimsy small external cam skewers.
    Enve used to have those flimsy Ti skewers that some people must have.
    Have these 2 companies switch over to Shimano-like skewers now??
    They're not as 'flimsy' at the ones the OP was talking about but I don't like either of the Zipp or the Enve skewers either. Shimano, Campy, Bontrager. Or never lay your bike down on the cam. Similar problem happens to the DT slow release...you crash or lay the bike down on the end of the skewer it gets damaged and you can't rotate the lever. I guess you can make external cam skewers really light and that's why so many are still made. Personally I'd sacrifice the tiny weight increase to have something less easily damaged and more durable long term.