RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

Cassette replacement

Needing to replace the cassette on my cross bike, what can I go with? Currently it has a Tiagra 12/30 running a 105 rear derailleur . Could I go bigger, a 32 or 34 max cassette and still have the 105 rear derailleur work ok? Not looking to change anything besides the cassette if I don't have to .

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwardo View Post
    Needing to replace the cassette on my cross bike, what can I go with? Currently it has a Tiagra 12/30 running a 105 rear derailleur . Could I go bigger, a 32 or 34 max cassette and still have the 105 rear derailleur work ok? Not looking to change anything besides the cassette if I don't have to .
    Which 105 rear derailleur? You can easily look up the max cog size by using the magic of google, too.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is your 105 rear derailleur a short-cage (SS) or a mid-cage (GS)? Or I should ask, how long is your rear derailleur cage?

If a short-cage, no-can-do, nada, sorry.

If a mid-cage, a 32T will work. A 34T or 36T will also work, but only if you get one of these:

Wolf Tooth Roadlink > Components > Frames > Frame Parts | Jenson USA

Compatibility:

• 10s Cassette Compatibility:
      • 11-32: Not Required (medium cage rear derailleur works)
      • 11-34: Single or Double Chainring
      • 11-36: Single or Double Chainring
      • 11-40: Single or Double Chainring (front rings can be no more than 14 teeth different e.g. 48-34)
      • 11-42: Not Supported

• 11s Cassette Compatibility:
      • 11-32: Not Required (medium cage rear derailleur works)
      • 11-36: Single or Double Chainring
      • 11-40: Single or Double Chainring (front rings can be no more than 14 teeth different e.g. 48-34)
      • 11-42: Not Supported
      • 10-42: Not Supported

• The RoadLink is compatible with ten- and eleven-speed Shimano road derailleurs and shifters.
    • The RoadLink mounts only to standard derailleur hangers.
    • Double chainrings are only supported with medium cage rear derailleurs
    • Triple chainrings are not supported (medium cage rear derailleurs cannot accommodate that big of a change)
    • Direct Mount-native frames and SRAM or Campagnolo drivetrains are not supported.
    • Due to the lack of a clutch mechanism on Shimano road derailleurs, secondary chain retention (front derailleur or chain device) may be needed, especially for rough- or off-road use.
    • Due to variations in derailleur hanger geometry, chainstay length, chainring size, B-screw adjustment, and suspension configuration, individual results will vary.
    • This 7.9mm max dimension is controlled by the Shimano spec, but a few derailleur hangers don't meet the spec. You can file a bit of the bottom "tang" of those derailleur hangers to install the RoadLink

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger