Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ceramic BB Bearings

3K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
I have an Ultegra BSA bottom bracket hosting a hollowtech crank. Does anyone know if I can replace just the bearings with ceramics? Or, do I have to go with an entirely new bottom bracket?

#3 ·
Sure, if you want to waste your money you can replace the bearings w/ ceramic.
^This.^

Is there anything wrong with your BB right now, or do you just have extra time and $$ on your hands?

A fool and his/her money are soon parted.

#4 ·
Well, I wasn't really asking whether or not ceramic bearings would do anything for me, and if they were worth the money. What I was asking is can I buy just the ceramic bearing cartridges to fit into the cups of the Shimano Ultegra Bottom Bracket, or do I have to buy a complete ceramic bearing bottom bracket?

As for efficacy, I have some first person reports that ceramic bearings for the derailleur pulleys and for the bottom bracket, do make a significant difference in drivetrain friction.

#5 ·
I *think* those bearing cartridges are replaceable, but you probably won't save much $ doing it that way either. Probably easier to just get the whole new BB. I too have first-hand observations about ceramic bearing/OSPW efficiency. The rear disk free-wheeling on my TT bike (ceramic BB and OPSWs) keeps the drive train turning for an insane amount of time. That wasn't the case with "regular" bearings/pulleys. Might only be a few watts, but I'll take them!

#7 ·
If they were the same price as good quality steel bearings I wouldn't buy them. As for putting them into Shimano cups, yes...it's possible. Done it w/ regular bearings dozens of times. You just have know someone that has the proper tools.

The ideal application(s) for ceramic bearings are:
High speed...thousands of rpm. Not something you'll ever encounter on a bicycle.
Pure radial load. Again, not a bottom bracket.
Clean working environment. You know what I'm gonna say.
High heat. Again...

#9 ·
There really isn't....and those people are wasting their income.

#20 ·
There's a market for $500 power cords and $1000 speaker cables, so if that's what you want no problem. For me, if I were spending money on ceramic bearings I would probably pop for the whole BB and not have to worry about making a mistake installing the bearing.

scott s.

#23 ·
The benefit isn't zero (unlike speaker cables) and I can prove it, everything costs something, value (or "worth it") is a personal decision. Some people just like to pimp their ride and/or want to have the most efficient (or lightest or most aero) bike possible. If you don't, that's fine too.

#34 ·
GKSki...I'm older now. I train to race because I love it and am ok at it for an old ****. I look for any advantage I can. More in how to train (sleep, nutrition etc...) but I do scrutinize equipment. My Factor came stock with Ceramic Speed bearings. UNless you have a huge amount of disposable $ to spend this is just not the logical place to spend it. They make virtually no difference in performance.

Not to be a hypocrite I spend a fair amount of money on clothes looking for free speed. Point is there are other places to save watts/gain speed before ceramics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.