RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Ceramic Wax Lube Application

Hey all:

Just started to use this stuff. The bottle says apply to clean chain, ride 1-2 times, then reapply. My question is: should the chain always be cleaned prior to every application? (I clean the chain with citrus cleaner and a chain scrubber when I do clean it) Also, how do you get the stuff to not completely and wastefully drip out of the bottle?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not familiar with the product, but their website says the coating builds up and becomes more effective with repeated application, so my guess is no solvent cleaning after first application, unless the chain is very dirty. I'd wipe the outside of the chain to get rid of heavy crud, but not really wash it,

Their site also describes a drip-minimizing process (apply at small cog while back-pedaling). Any solvent-thinned chain lube is going to drip some when applied. You can't really avoid it, but you can minimize it by controlling pressure to get the smallest drip rate that works.

Here's my method: Hold the squeeze-bottle upright so there's an air space above the liquid. Squeeze a little and hold while you turn the bottle upside down and begin application. If you relax your hold, there will be negative pressure (no drop), and the liquid will only drip if you actively squeeze. That way, you can control the rate precisely. If you're really OCD, you can apply a single drop to each roller on each pass.

I wonder if this stuff really works as advertised. There have been so many magical chain lubes marketed over the years. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 05-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Misleading documentation

From the Finish Line website:

"Ceramic WAX is flammable and contains VOCís and as such should be used with caution and in a well ventilated area."

"Ceramic WAX is REACH compliant for Europe and all ingredients used are listed with all major worldwide chemical inventories and as such this product conforms to all environmental regulations for use as intended."

"Ceramic WAX contains no artificial dyes or fragrances, is non-flammable and is packaged in recyclable HDPE #2 plastic squeeze bottles."

How can a product be both flammable and non-flammable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Is there any applicant that give the same effect as when the new chain comes. When I get my new chain it is perfect ant not noisy with Sram red cassette. After cleaning with degreaser and applying finish line dry lube the chain is creating sound again. The lbs says that when the chain comes new with original lube is different.

Do you think it is a good idea to just wipe it and lube again without cleaning with degreaser?

Appreciate your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Is there any applicant that give the same effect as when the new chain comes. When I get my new chain it is perfect ant not noisy with Sram red cassette. After cleaning with degreaser and applying finish line dry lube the chain is creating sound again. The lbs says that when the chain comes new with original lube is different.

Do you think it is a good idea to just wipe it and lube again without cleaning with degreaser?

Appreciate your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Say no to dry

Quote Originally Posted by zakyma

I think it's a good idea not to use dry lubes of any kind unless you live in a very dusty area. Try something like ProLink or home brew (3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits, one part oil) and see what happens. If you use this kind of solvent based lube, you won't have to do any chain cleaning.

No Crybabies

works

I started using the Ceramic Wet (not Wax) Lube a few months ago in a desparate attempt to get rid of chain suck on my mountain bike, and it works great. I use it on all my bikes, now. I just reapply and wipe clean. It does tend to make your chain look blacker, though, but not to be confused as dirty. Everything runs smoothly and quiet.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...c_wet_lube.htm

Quote Originally Posted by smwdr
    Hey all:

Just started to use this stuff. The bottle says apply to clean chain, ride 1-2 times, then reapply. My question is: should the chain always be cleaned prior to every application? (I clean the chain with citrus cleaner and a chain scrubber when I do clean it) Also, how do you get the stuff to not completely and wastefully drip out of the bottle?

Thanks.

I ride in circles..
    Quote Originally Posted by jwp3476
    How can a product be both flammable and non-flammable?

When in it's transport liquid it's flammable.. When dry it's not.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~