RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Cervelo Mach 2 Brakes

Does anyone have any experiance with Cervelo's proprietary brakes? I notice that they come on several of their stock build kits. How do they compare to other brakes such as Shimano (stopping power, weight, modulation, etc...)? I'm not very heavy so I don't need brakes that can stop a mack truck but ones that will be adequate for racing crits, club riding, etc...

If they will work properly without a tremendous weight/performance I would rather use them and cool stop pads or some sort of aftermarket improvement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are not proprietary. They are repainted Tektro brakes in black with a cervelo white logo on them.

They are ok. Nothing to write home about. I changed the pads once with some kool stop and it seemed to be better. But the modulation wasn't there compared to ultegra or dura-ace.

I now ride with zero gravity brakes. The modulation is even worse, but the weight savings are humongous.

Moderatus Puisne
    Who needs to stop when your bike is 1/4 lb lighter, anyway?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

RE: Cervelo Mach 2 calipers

Quote Originally Posted by PigmyRacer
    Does anyone have any experiance with Cervelo's proprietary brakes? I notice that they come on several of their stock build kits. How do they compare to other brakes such as Shimano (stopping power, weight, modulation, etc...)? I'm not very heavy so I don't need brakes that can stop a mack truck but ones that will be adequate for racing crits, club riding, etc...

If they will work properly without a tremendous weight/performance I would rather use them and cool stop pads or some sort of aftermarket improvement.
    Well, I can't say I've directly compared them to Dura-Ace or Ultegra or SRAM's Force, for that matter. Reviews that I've seen suggest they're pretty good--same weight as the Dura-Ace. One critical review says they're the same exact weight, but with less friction and a stronger return spring--better to be used with spring-less aero levers. See review: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/rev...veloDual.shtml

However, other real-world reviews suggest that if you're a significantly heavier rider, say over 200, you may want to change over to Dura-Ace, Record, or Force/Red. As one owner put it, they won't stop a Mack truck or a Clydesdale, but otherwise, they're very good.

Hope that helps!!

Paul

PS. Always remember that 50g on a bike doesn't mean anything if you haven't mastered your pedal stroke, aero position, etc, and those things don't mean squat if the engine (you) hasn't been spending enough time on the bike getting stronger. Take advice on miniscule weight issues with a grain of salt...unless you're at the top competitive level.

RoadBikeReview Member
    if anyone cares i reverted back to cervelo stock brake calipers with dura ace brake pads.. the total set weights 300g even on my digital scale... the ultegra 6500 series weighed in roughly 345... i think i found myself laughing when i was measuring these ridiculous small weights in grams.. but hey saved some weight ... saved some bucks... and got black brakes to go with the frame.... i need to lay off the drugs.... gnite
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    reply to thedips...

So which brakes did you change to??? Ultegra? It sounds ike you went from Cervelo Mach 2 to Ultegra 6500 (9-speed) and back to Cervelo, right?

Let's disregard the whole weight thing--your comments were great, though. So, for a first-hand opinion. what did you think about stopping power and spring back in the brake levers? How did the Mach 2 compare in stopping power? Was the [spring] return in the brake levers better with the Cervelo or the Ultegra?

Please let me know--I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences!

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbohnen
    reply to thedips...

So which brakes did you change to??? Ultegra? It sounds ike you went from Cervelo Mach 2 to Ultegra 6500 (9-speed) and back to Cervelo, right?

Let's disregard the whole weight thing--your comments were great, though. So, for a first-hand opinion. what did you think about stopping power and spring back in the brake levers? How did the Mach 2 compare in stopping power? Was the [spring] return in the brake levers better with the Cervelo or the Ultegra?

Please let me know--I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences!

Paul
    actually i started off the bike with ULTEGRA 6500s ... then UP TO ULTEGRA 6600s then back to CERVELO MACH 2 ( tried with both KOOLSTOP PADS AND DURA ACE PADS)

stopping power is best on CERVELO MACH 2 with koolstop pads really grippy very strong and solid stops.... you can really tell the difference... and i really put it to the test when i bomb down palos verdes hitting 40+ .... i personally felt that dura ace pads/ cervelo brakes felt roughly the same as an ultegra brake... or nothing special that i could tell any difference...

on spring return... i honestly never really seen it as an issue, thus never paid any attention to it... concluding that... on both the ultegra and cervelo brakes... as long as they are set up properly you shouldnt have any issues with spring return.. the cervelo brakes i have now return fine.. i read somewhere that the TEKTRO brakes had some kind of issue... its all crap... seems perfectly fine to me... not sure what they were smoking on... (edit.. just read that you posted issues are with aero levers.. never tested with aero brake levers... just have stock SHIMANO STI-6600 10 speed brifters.. they seem fine)

in the end.. the weight made a difference.. also tektros do come stock with crappy pads... mine were already hard ... just try to dig ur nail into the braking compound to test it... once you upgrade that you should be golden!....
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

TelemarkTumalo
    Jan 2007
    I recently added an '07 Cervelo P2C which comes with Dia-Compe aero levers on the TT bars and the house brand Cervelo/Tektro brakes. I'm planning to buy a set of tubular carbon Zipp TT wheels that have a carbon braking surface. Any advice on pads that will give reasonably good stopping power and not do unnecessary damage to the wheels? I'll be running the stock Shimano clinchers for training. Following this thread, these brakes seem fine with the aluminum braking surface on the Shimano rims. By comparison, I run Dura Ace Brakes on Dura Ace clinicher wheels on my Ibis Carbon Silk. Those brakes are incredibly smooth with great power and modulation. I doubt I'll be challenging the brakes on the TT bike nearly as much, but emergencies always come up when we least expect them!