RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Chain dropping/K Edge chain catcher?

After having dropped my chain a couple times on the crank and taking off some paint on the bike frame, I ordered a K-Edge chain catcher, while I was waiting on it to arrive I adjusted my front RD, and that seems to have corrected the problem. But I still want to installed the chain catcher for some extra precaution. So the chain catcher arrive today and to my dismay I can't get it to fit theres not enough space between the small chain ring and the frame. I have a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SL2 frame. I have a Shimano 5701 105 triple crank installed on bike. I did order the triple version of the chain catcher, and followed the instructions. So I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the K Edge chain catcher on this frame with a triple crank and been able to get it to fit.

Re-Cyclist
    That's too bad. Perhaps they sent you one for a double? Frame shapes vary, too. Take a file or a belt sander to it. I'll bet a small amount of material removal will do the trick.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a picture?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    That's too bad. Perhaps they sent you one for a double? Frame shapes vary, too. Take a file or a belt sander to it. I'll bet a small amount of material removal will do the trick.
    Bummer on the fit, but as stated, taking some material off the chain catcher is not going to hurt anything.

I have one on my CAAD10 and it works greats
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Recycle King
    Anybody know if there is a performance difference between Pro Chain Catcher and the older model Chain Catcher? I noticed the Pro have 2 bolts and the a smoother curvature.

K-Edge Road Pro Chain Catcher | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

K-Edge Road Chain Catcher | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    For anyone looking to save a little bit, I have a clamp-on china version of the k-edge. It works great. Has the micro adjust screw and everything.

OP have you seen the dog fang? If your seat tube is small enough it may work...

Recycle King
    What does the adjust screw for? I don't think the clamp on version would work on my Cervelo S2 with the tear drop shape.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    What does the adjust screw for? I don't think the clamp on version would work on my Cervelo S2 with the tear drop shape.
    It adjusts the angle of the arm. You can move it in really close to the chain while its on the small ring.

I only have experience with the clamp on version....

Recycle King
    You have the website or a photo?

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    You have the website or a photo?
    The Deda Dog Fang only works on round tubes:

Amazon.com: Deda Elementi Deda Dog Fang 35.0mm *roadbike chain guide*: Sports & Outdoors

Make sure to get the correct size for your bike
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.