Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

for the WIN~!
    Must be fun when it happens so rarely, yeah?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Holy shyte! If any shop I went to didn't catch this, I would NEVER let that mechanic touch my bike ever again. Yikes! There should ALWAYS be some tension even in the small/small combo.

I think you know what to do from here.
    I have a hard time believing that a chain straight out of the box with no links removed would hang that loose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    So 4 links taken out to get some tension on the small / small, and I've still got about 2 links 'spare' when on big-big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan74 View Post
    So 4 links taken out to get some tension on the small / small, and I've still got about 2 links 'spare' when on big-big.
    What size is that cassette you are running? If it's a 43 tooth bailout gear (which is what it looks like to me) I'm surprised you didn't end up past the rear DR take up capacity.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    As above, it's an 11-32 cassette and a 52/36. So all within spec.

Neophyte
    If any jumpiness still happens, would that new Ultegra RX derailleur with the clutch thing help? I know aclinjury mentioned something similar using a MTB derailleur.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    If any jumpiness still happens, would that new Ultegra RX derailleur with the clutch thing help? I know aclinjury mentioned something similar using a MTB derailleur.
    I could be wrong, but I really don't think the problem will happen if the chain is the correct length.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    in my case, when I'm in the big ring, and 11,12,13t cog in the back, and I'm pedalling fast downhill over rough pavement thus making any derailleur that is either medium/long cage really jumpy, then yes using the derailleur with the clutch helped me big time, eliminated the problem.

However, then upon further consideration, I removed the clutch mtb derailleur because when the clutch is ON, it makes shifting really suck, especially when you're near the big-big combo. Of course one could argue that when you're climbing, then turn OFF the clutch and only use the clutch for the downhill. Yes I could do that. But it's a pain in the ass to me if I have to stop the bike and turn the clutch ON and OFF. So now I'm back on a non-clutch derailleur.

The Shimano new Ultegra RX is interesting. But if its tension is as strong as their mtb clutch ones, then no thanks I'll pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Seems to me Shimano could add another button to the Di2 and have it control the clutch.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    So turns out that didn't go too well. Pretty sure it's all co-incidence, but I was at thr front of the bunch on a gentle but long downhill, spinning away in 52x11 all good. Then eased off as I peeled off the front and as I easy pedalled then the chain came off the front outside (that's new). Anyway, all was fine, jumped on the back of the bunch, happy light pedalling to stay on the back, no issues, then something happened, and I was coasting.

Chain dropping off right side of cassette on downhills-20180407_102913_resized.jpgChain dropping off right side of cassette on downhills-20180407_102936_resized.jpgChain dropping off right side of cassette on downhills-20180407_102925_resized.jpg

Snapped the mech at the midpoint. Was in the 11 remember, so 100% not chain length, and there was length for large/large and 2 links. I'm thinking it could have been my heel catching it as I was coasting with driveside at 9 o'clock. Or a stone got flicked up (there was some loose debris on the road as we were going down, but I didn't see anything.

So bike is now in a new shop I trust, for not just new chain/mech but a full check over of the build. Not ideal a week before target race, but such is life.

I have never seen anything like that before. I'm beginning to think you're one of 'those guys' that is cursed and breaks **** all the time in really strange ways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think you have found the actual problem, good it didn't lock up or cause a mishap. That looks like a forge failure of the material. What is the possiblity that had a crack in it that was slowly messing everything up till it finally blew after a high speed attack!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    It's just this bike. Been really unlucky with punctures (3) and 2 further blowouts (one on front at 65kph on narrow state highway with truck beside me), powermeter fail (quarq -1500 offset) and more. This just since December. Also noticed the extractor cap for the crank has fallen off too.... Sigh.

Whereas other bikes have all been famously fine. Next youngest bike in the fleet is 2012.

As for this being the root problem. I don't think so. Potentially then there was some issue with either jockey wheel / chain that was causing the flicking and that somehow led to stress that snapped the mech hinge, but who knows.

Hopefully this is the end of the bad luck....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What is the possiblity that had a crack in it that was slowly messing everything up till it finally blew after a high speed attack!
    Sorry, meant to say, that I don't think this is the case as I was sitting on the front for 3-4 minutes just putting out 350watts according to the log, whereas earlier I'd been putting out more in climbs. And the snap happened when I was gently riding. I just don't reckon that a weakness / flexing here was the root cause.

And I thought you'd already claimed the win for diagnosing the chain length ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm beginning to think your bike needs an exorcist.

Seriously, when you shortened the chain, did you use a pin or a quick link? If a pin, did you make sure the link wasn't stiff?

Glad nobody was hurt. That's the important thing.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by duncan74 View Post
    Sorry, meant to say, that I don't think this is the case as I was sitting on the front for 3-4 minutes just putting out 350watts according to the log, whereas earlier I'd been putting out more in climbs. And the snap happened when I was gently riding. I just don't reckon that a weakness / flexing here was the root cause.

And I thought you'd already claimed the win for diagnosing the chain length ;-)
    There is no change in stress on the derailleur no matter how much or how little power you're making.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    I'm beginning to think your bike needs an exorcist.

Seriously, when you shortened the chain, did you use a pin or a quick link? If a pin, did you make sure the link wasn't stiff?
    Not sure about exorcism, but I may need to rename it. For long and complex reasons I named it 'Groucho'.

I re-used a quick-link. Got it in the right direction. And chain wasn't stiff. I've always previously stuck with the joint pins without problem, but was persuaded this was the future......

I guess we will never really know what the issue(s) were and if connected or not. But just hoping this is teething troubles and we'll be OK from next week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Reused a quick link on an 11 speed chain.........hmmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Have you showed this to the bike shop that put your bike together? How did they respond?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Have you showed this to the bike shop that put your bike together? How did they respond?
    Considering how this bike shop originally sized his chain, it sounds like this would be nothing more than a waste of time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Considering how this bike shop originally sized his chain, it sounds like this would be nothing more than a waste of time.
    Yea, probably better to just cut all ties with that shop and fine a new/better one.

Quote Originally Posted by evan326 View Post
    Yea, probably better to just cut all ties with that shop and fine a new/better one.
    And shame the old shop on all the social media

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Sorry for delay in responding, I've been travelling with work and so haven't had time to come on here to update. In addition then the post that followed pretty much nailed it, up to the 'name and shame' part. Life's too short to get into agro - been there, done that in the past.

So hopefully come Friday then the bike will be back, fully sorted, and I can change to race tyres and tubes, and get through Saturday without incident. Or it all goes to sh1$, in which case I just get a lift to the finish and spend the weekend drinking wine and chilling in a really nice part of the country. Then get back to hammering out the KMs on Zwift and club rides through the winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i'm thinking your derailleur may be a chinese fake. I've seen a lot of Dura Ace components, especially cranks, break because they're fakes. Happens more in Asia than in the US and Europe as distribution channels are tighter there. But it could still be possible for chinese fakes to slip into American and Europe and end up in retail consumer hands. Did you buy the derailleur brand new in retail box? Or did it come as "OEM" without retail packaging?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    i'm thinking your derailleur may be a chinese fake. I've seen a lot of Dura Ace components, especially cranks, break because they're fakes. Happens more in Asia than in the US and Europe as distribution channels are tighter there. But it could still be possible for chinese fakes to slip into American and Europe and end up in retail consumer hands. Did you buy the derailleur brand new in retail box? Or did it come as "OEM" without retail packaging?
    Duncan74 lives in New Zealand. I don't know how many counterfeit components are sent there, but I guess it's possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast