Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Bike was a complete bike from Cannondale bought from one of their NZ retailers. Not frame and components. I think there's a danger here that we're getting 2+2 to add up to 73.5.

Initially an issue with chain length, then possibly a stone hitting the mech, catching on my heel, or just a random 'thing'. I'm ranking the evil spirit possession slightly higher than the fake component.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan74 View Post
    Bike was a complete bike from Cannondale bought from one of their NZ retailers. Not frame and components. I think there's a danger here that we're getting 2+2 to add up to 73.5.

Initially an issue with chain length, then possibly a stone hitting the mech, catching on my heel, or just a random 'thing'. I'm ranking the evil spirit possession slightly higher than the fake component.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm thinking a stiff link, though usually the hanger rips off saving the derailleur and frame. Be glad it was the derailleur. They are relatively cheap as components go, and a world cheaper than a new frame!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Be glad it was the derailleur. They are relatively cheap as components go, and a world cheaper than a new frame!
    Although new frames are available I whereas derailleurs are on back order at the distributor. Sigh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Always order 2 RD hangers & you'll always be ready to RIDE!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Always order 2 RD hangers & you'll always be ready to RIDE!
    Not really as the hanger is fine. It's the actual mech that's snapped. And I can't really justify $500 for mechs given in 30 years of 10,000km a year+ then it's the second time I've needed to replace one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Not really as the hanger is fine. It's the actual mech that's snapped. And I can't really justify $500 for mechs given in 30 years of 10,000km a year+ then it's the second time I've needed to replace one.
    I think with your luck, you should still get a spare hanger. They aren't $500, and most shops have a RD handy, but not hangers.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I think with your luck, you should still get a spare hanger. They aren't $500, and most shops have a RD handy, but not hangers.
    I just packed a bike for a guy today. He's gonna be in Girona for 7 weeks (bastard!) and I aligned 2 spare hangers for him just in case.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know what things cost in NZ, but you can buy a 105 mid-cage rear derailleur online for $39 (I'm assuming you have 11-speed):

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Rear Mech Medium Cage | Chain Reaction Cycles

Chain Reaction Cycles is in the UK. Not sure what duties and shipping are going into NZ.

And trust me, you won't notice a difference in shift quality between a 105 and Ultegra derailleur. Ultegra is a tad lighter, that's it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Sadly I need long cage, and I need it in 2 days which rules out overseas import. Bike parts in NZ are generally quoted in the currency of body parts. So the range is small things like headset spacers where you get two for a cornea up to a matching pair of kidneys for a dura - ace DI2 groupset. An ultegra mech is a steal at a lung.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly I need long cage, and I need it in 2 days which rules out overseas import. Bike parts in NZ are generally quoted in the currency of body parts. So the range is small things like headset spacers where you get two for a cornea up to a matching pair of kidneys for a dura - ace DI2 groupset. An ultegra mech is a steal at a lung.
    There is no such thing as a long-cage road derailleur. Road derailleurs come in short and mid-cage. The one you had was a mid-cage. Mountain derailleurs come in long-cage.

NZ is on the list of places I'd like to visit someday. But it really sounds like a place where I don't want my bike to break.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    WTH is that green cable and why do you have electrical tape around /over the rear schewer?
    BANNED

WTH is that green cable and why do you have electrical tape around /over the rear schewer?
    He put tape over the dropout because his chain was coming off and he was trying to keep his frame from getting scratched.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    The electrical tape was put on to hole the mech after I managed to cross thread the mech when I took it off to put through the dishwasher to clean it.

The green cable isn't really a green cable, camera angle makes it look like that, but it's the frame which has a coloured stripe on the underside of the seatstays.

Clearly the first para is tongue in cheek - as already answered it was there to protect the frame whilst I was sorting out the root cause of the chain drops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Well new mech and new chain and the bike was flawless in the race yesterday.

Apparently they checked the mech hanger and it was still absolutely true, so seems unlikely that the issue was caused by any side force on the old mech, or if there was then there was a defect in the mech that meant it was substantially weaker than the dropout / dropout break bolts.

Apparently from the new mechanic then he did need to make the chain a link shorter than he wanted to stop it being slack on small / small, but still has give for large-large safely. So seems combination of frame and gearing options makes it hard to get the right length.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well new mech and new chain and the bike was flawless in the race yesterday.

Apparently they checked the mech hanger and it was still absolutely true, so seems unlikely that the issue was caused by any side force on the old mech, or if there was then there was a defect in the mech that meant it was substantially weaker than the dropout / dropout break bolts.

Apparently from the new mechanic then he did need to make the chain a link shorter than he wanted to stop it being slack on small / small, but still has give for large-large safely. So seems combination of frame and gearing options makes it hard to get the right length.
    Glad to hear you got the bike fixed in time for the race! Although from what you told us about what parts cost in your hemisphere, you're not going to have money for food this month. But hey, that's good for weight loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Glad to hear you got the bike fixed in time for the race! Although from what you told us about what parts cost in your hemisphere, you're not going to have money for food this month. But hey, that's good for weight loss.
    Ha, don't even joke about that. NZ$500 for chain, mech and a 'full service' on a 3 month old bike. Having said that the headset has now stopped creaking and I feel more confident in the bike not killing me on a fast descent. The mech was $199 plus 15% tax here. It's all part of the swings and roundabouts of being in a very small country - limited competition, small consumer base and higher shipping costs due to geography. I'm going to send the old mech back to the distributor to see if they will warranty it as I'm sure it wasn't an impact break based on what's left. There is no sign of anything hitting it as surfaces are all perfectly smooth on the face of the crack. That leaves a manufacturing fault or a chain force. And as the mech hanger wasn't bent, then I'll see what they say. Worst is 'no'. I guess it depends if they get any other returns on the 8000 series worldwide.

Sadly this is just one of two major bike costs this month, as my MTB frame developed a crack. So although that's being warrantied by Specialized then it's a later model year and so I need to pay for some additional parts to be able to transfer. Including a new dropper post as the diameters are different. And guess what's out of stock at the moment with no ETA... ;-)

Mind you, as running shoes are $280-300 a pair here, it's still cheaper to cycle than run. All up, it does make triathlon a bloody expensive sport over here.

Thanks to all for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly this is just one of two major bike costs this month, as my MTB frame developed a crack. So although that's being warrantied by Specialized then it's a later model year and so I need to pay for some additional parts to be able to transfer.
    Yikes! Is that a carbon or an aluminum frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Yikes! Is that a carbon or an aluminum frame?
    2012 Carbon Epic. To be fair then Specialized reckoned it was a paint blemish round the shock mount, but offered to replace anyway. They even offered a choice of models in case as I swapped I wanted to move up to a Camber with a touch more travel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Well, I think I have the answer. The original question was why the chain kept coming off. And the answer is - the mech hangar has been installed incorrectly, and so has been rotated about 45 degrees clockwise.
    Attachment 322583

Well, I think I have the answer. The original question was why the chain kept coming off. And the answer is - the mech hangar has been installed incorrectly, and so has been rotated about 45 degrees clockwise.
    Attachment 322583
    Try again w/ attaching that photo, we can't see anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Odd, seemed to upload OK. To be fair the photo is slightly surplus, was more just posting the answer in case the same happened to someone else.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234