RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Which chain for dura ace 7800?

Running dura ace 7800 and need a new chain. I have run both the 7800 and 7900 chains on this bike. Seems like you can run the 7800, 7801, 7900 and 7901. So I am confused, which is best?

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    They're all basically the same.

I've used Ultegra and DA chains... all the same in the end.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by offbyone View Post
    Running dura ace 7800 and need a new chain. I have run both the 7800 and 7900 chains on this bike. Seems like you can run the 7800, 7801, 7900 and 7901. So I am confused, which is best?
    Or you could use a KMC chain, a Wipperman chain, a SRAM chain, or maybe even a Campy chain. There is not as much difference as some would have you believe. Any Shimano chain for the right number of gears will work pretty well.

Define "best."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Or you could use a KMC chain, a Wipperman chain, a SRAM chain, or maybe even a Campy chain. There is not as much difference as some would have you believe. Any Shimano chain for the right number of gears will work pretty well.

Define "best."
    I am well aware that you can run different chains, but I assume they have different characteristics. So is there an advantage to one versus the other?
    I assume the 7800/7801 are specific for the 7800 drive train so will it shift better?
    I believe the 7900s are directional chains, is there an advantage or disadvantage to running that with 7800?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I am well aware that you can run different chains, but I assume they have different characteristics. So is there an advantage to one versus the other?
    I assume the 7800/7801 are specific for the 7800 drive train so will it shift better?
    I believe the 7900s are directional chains, is there an advantage or disadvantage to running that with 7800?
    Generally brands of chains that match the drive train are considered the best bet, but plenty of people report no problems or even improvements by going with a different brand. As far as models of chains (within a brand) you are mostly getting small weight savings and perhaps a "better" physical appearance. Tertiary effects.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Spoke with Shimano. They said that if the derailleurs are 7800 then the 7801 is the best choice for best shifting.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Spoke with Shimano. They said that if the derailleurs are 7800 then the 7801 is the best choice for best shifting.
    Then why did you ask here?

coaster
    KMC X10-sl. Light, smooth, durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Connex Wipperman chain. I use the relatively expensive (+/- $70) 10sX model with stainless steel inner links and nickel plated outer links. I switched to the 10sX and used Prolink lubricant last year. After 4,000 miles my chain only showed 50% wear on my Park Tools chain stretch gage. This setup didn't protect my casette from wear though - I needed a new casette when I replaced my chain. Titanium casettes don't last forever anyway.

I've been using nothing but Wipperman chains for about 15 years. A big reason for this is the convenience of using a chain with a master link. I like to be able to remove my chain easily to clean it. This particular Wipperman chain is not available from most online retailers. I buy mine from Performance Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    One of my bikes has DA-7800 and the last few years I have been running the Ultegra 6700 chain, I notice no difference what so ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano will be conservative and on record will advise to match chains to the driveline as they told you. There is a lot of compatibility and whether you notice any differences in shifting performance is open. I've used a variety of mid level chains along the way in my 6600, 7800 systems. I like the KMC DX10SC chains and between the 6600 chains I felt they were indistinguishable. They shift well on the 6600 and 6700 cassettes that I use.

For those that race there may be differences though for my casual rides coupled with a good shifting cable, I find the KMC is nicely matched.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I agree with Lelandjt . KMC all the way. I understand that Shimano would want to recommend a shimano chain. KMC make chains, they make them to fit on other peoples groupsets. Let's face it they want to sell them so they have to make them better than shimano for people to be interested. Best thing I like about the KMC is the quick release link that makes it really easy to take it off and soak in some citrus cleaner. No Brainer

Banned forever.....or not
    Whenever I need a chain, I get a cn7801 on Amazon for $40 some $$

Not sure how a cn7901 chain would shift on my 7800 stuff. (that, and the fact that 7801 chains are $10 cheaper)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
    I use Connex Wipperman chain. I use the relatively expensive (+/- $70) 10sX model with stainless steel inner links and nickel plated outer links. I switched to the 10sX and used Prolink lubricant last year. After 4,000 miles my chain only showed 50% wear on my Park Tools chain stretch gage. This setup didn't protect my casette from wear though - I needed a new casette when I replaced my chain. Titanium casettes don't last forever anyway.

I've been using nothing but Wipperman chains for about 15 years. A big reason for this is the convenience of using a chain with a master link. I like to be able to remove my chain easily to clean it. This particular Wipperman chain is not available from most online retailers. I buy mine from Performance Bike.
    I'm in the same boat, been using these for over a decade. Always the cheapest in the long run if kept clean and lubed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    6600 chains are available for aroung $36, and DA are $42 based on a quick search. I would go for the 6600 as there is no discernable difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Here is a test of 24 chains done by Tour Quarterly. Go to page 44
    www.tour-quarterly.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    Here is a test of 24 chains done by Tour Quarterly. Go to page 44
    www.tour-quarterly.com
    Yep, the 7901 gets the best rating all round. Good wear.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Was thinking of switching to the gold KMC chain for looks and hopefully quiet, but the article posted by Scottma really points to the Shimano 7901 or the 105 chain.