Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Chain Length calculator

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
I recently swapped a 50/34 to a 52/36. I've been reading I need to add 1 inch to the chain. If I use this tool Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator
it seems like my current chain is .35 inches too short.

How can I tell this is correct?

The current chain looks to be okay, how can I tell if its too short?

#2 ·
You are making it way too complicated. Don't use a chain length calculator.

Use big/big plus one or small/small with verticle rear mech.

Chain too long if in small/small the chain on the upper jockey pulley rubs the chain before it enters the bottom of the rear mech cage.

It is too short if you cannot shift into (or out of) big/big because the chain is too tight.

#3 ·
You are making it way too complicated. Don't use a chain length calculator.

Use big/big plus one or small/small with verticle rear mech.

Chain too long if in small/small the chain on the upper jockey pulley rubs the chain before it enters the bottom of the rear mech cage.

It is too short if you cannot shift into (or out of) big/big because the chain is too tight.
No, this is not correct. Small/small w/ just enough tension so the chain doesn't rub on the pulley cage. NOT vertical. For pretty much all 2 or 3 chainring road bikes this will give the longest chain possible as long as the drivetrain is all within spec. This is the safest/smoothest running drivetrain.

Don't bother w/ chain length calculators, that's just overthinking a very simple task. Just put the chain on the bike and size it. Very easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.