RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Chain Length calculator

I recently swapped a 50/34 to a 52/36. I've been reading I need to add 1 inch to the chain. If I use this tool Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator
    it seems like my current chain is .35 inches too short.

How can I tell this is correct?

The current chain looks to be okay, how can I tell if its too short?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    You are making it way too complicated. Don't use a chain length calculator.

Use big/big plus one or small/small with verticle rear mech.

Chain too long if in small/small the chain on the upper jockey pulley rubs the chain before it enters the bottom of the rear mech cage.

It is too short if you cannot shift into (or out of) big/big because the chain is too tight.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    You are making it way too complicated. Don't use a chain length calculator.

Use big/big plus one or small/small with verticle rear mech.

Chain too long if in small/small the chain on the upper jockey pulley rubs the chain before it enters the bottom of the rear mech cage.

It is too short if you cannot shift into (or out of) big/big because the chain is too tight.
    No, this is not correct. Small/small w/ just enough tension so the chain doesn't rub on the pulley cage. NOT vertical. For pretty much all 2 or 3 chainring road bikes this will give the longest chain possible as long as the drivetrain is all within spec. This is the safest/smoothest running drivetrain.

Don't bother w/ chain length calculators, that's just overthinking a very simple task. Just put the chain on the bike and size it. Very easy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No, this is not correct. Small/small w/ just enough tension so the chain doesn't rub on the pulley cage. NOT vertical. For pretty much all 2 or 3 chainring road bikes this will give the longest chain possible as long as the drivetrain is all within spec. This is the safest/smoothest running drivetrain.

Don't bother w/ chain length calculators, that's just overthinking a very simple task. Just put the chain on the bike and size it. Very easy.
    This^ Occam's Razor says use the simplest method. Combine a chain length calculator with a chain checker tool and you get errors and confusion. Use the small-small method and a ruler to check chain wear and you won't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

Seams like we do this a lot. Chain length question followed by 5 different ways to size a chain the wrong way, then CX beats me to giving the correct way to size a chain.

I've used this simple technique millions of times and never had a chain too short or too long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I've used this simple technique millions of times and never had a chain too short or too long.
    If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: Dont Exagerate!