Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is the Chain Tool on my Multi-Tool adequate?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bq_or_bust 
#1 ·
forgive me on such a basic question. i tried searching, but, did not get my answer.

i need to break my old chain off the road shimano 10 and put a new one.

i have a crank bros multi tool 17 (m-17) which has a chain tool. i bought it a few years ago. does anyone know if this tool is compatible to road shimano 10? would i be able to use it properly for breaking and connecting?

i guess my steps are:
. break chain
. measure new chain to old
. link it thru the drivetrain
. connect

as a side question, am i to leave the chain oil on the chain? to my recollection, yes. if so, how many miles?

much thanks in advance.

#2 ·
It will certainly break the chain. It should be able to join it just fine, but it may be a little fussier than a shop-quality tool.

However, I'd recommend using a master link instead of a joining pin. Many chains use them by default these days, or they can be had cheaply aftermarket if the chain you like does not.

And yes, the lube that comes on the chain is the best lube job it will ever see. Leave it there until it starts getting noisy, or is too dirty for you to deal with (and simple wiping of the outside with a solvent-dampened rag won't do well enough.)

#6 ·
Master Link question

Thanks all for the feedback.

However, I'd recommend using a master link instead of a joining pin. Many chains use them by default these days, or they can be had cheaply aftermarket if the chain you like does not.
i would like to use a master link in the future. is it better because you can clean it more efficiently?

please review my understanding on master links:
1. SRAM is compatible with Shimano. For cassette, chain and masterlink.
2. SRAM has a master link (power link) provided w/ chain purchase.
3. KMC also makes a masterlink for Shimano / SRAM chains.
4. Wipperman also makes a masterlink for Shimano / SRAM chains.
5. Make sure it's for your specific speed chain (10 speed).
6. Which masterlink is the best and why?

What other chain options are available for Shimano? are they better and why?

#5 ·
Tagging on to the OP's topic...

What about breaking an 11-speed Campy chain? Hypothetical, yet rare scenario of breaking the chain on a ride - could something like the Park Tool IB-3, which has a pretty good little chain tool, push out the affected pins to remove the bad link(s). I carry a KMC missing link already, but no missing link installed on the chain yet.

#8 ·
Pins get a bad wrap. Never had a problem with them. Chain master links on the other hand... are so frustrating to get off I had to buy a new Park Tool master link remover because it was such a pain in the arse.

#10 ·
it will be fine. You won't get much leverage with the handle, but work it slowly.

Personally, I would get a KMC Missing Link
KMC USA
https://www.kmcchain.us/images/****/SMissingLink-10CR.jpg

Yes, people tend to leave the factory grease on. Might as well use it until there is a need to clean and relube with the lube of your choice.

#11 ·
A follow-up question.

thanks for the help guys/girls.

i notice that to break the 1st plate is tough and it seems impossible to do on the 2nd plate (on the other side).

am i not to break through the 2nd plate (other side)?

i could guess to not so the hole created on the 2nd plate would lead it to the new pin being 'loose' with a bigger hole (after pushing old pin out).

thanks again for helping such a trivial question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.