plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

change cassette from 11x28 to 11x32. 53x39 at the front and everything shimano 105

I have shimano 105 groupset and I run 53x39 at the front and 11x28 at the back.
    The material could be replaced (my legs too) and so I'am thinking of putting a 11x32 at the back. Which 105 rear derailleur is best suited for this? Can I get it to work well with all the gears?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plx View Post
    The material could be replaced (my legs too) and so I'am thinking of putting a 11x32 at the back. Which 105 rear derailleur is best suited for this? Can I get it to work well with all the gears?
    this comes up every week. see if this helps Rear Der/cassette question
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Another one, must be 'ignore the search button Friday' or something.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Maybe I shouldn't do this but I am feeling compassion for all living being right now (just kidding, I would never do that .... )

You would need a medium cage GS derailleur. Whether all the gears worked would depend on whether you botched the install and tuning or did it correctly.

One benefit of searching old threads .... if there is a lengthy discussion on a topic, people will offer up all kinds of solutions. I can tell you only what I have done ... other people have done other things which might work as well or better. Other people will be able to tell you about the problems they had, so you can avoid them.

After all that, no one wants to rehash the old thread every couple weeks ... so you lose the benefit of all that wisdom when you start a new thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Just curious as to why someone who "needs" a 53/11 also needs a 32 large cog on the cassette. Enquiring minds want to know.

plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Just curious as to why someone who "needs" a 53/11 also needs a 32 large cog on the cassette. Enquiring minds want to know.
    I actually would like a 54 or 56 at the front but for now that's ok. I want big ring to I can smash big gear. I also don't like to run out of gears in downhill terrain.

plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't do this but I am feeling compassion for all living being right now (just kidding, I would never do that .... )

You would need a medium cage GS derailleur. Whether all the gears worked would depend on whether you botched the install and tuning or did it correctly.

One benefit of searching old threads .... if there is a lengthy discussion on a topic, people will offer up all kinds of solutions. I can tell you only what I have done ... other people have done other things which might work as well or better. Other people will be able to tell you about the problems they had, so you can avoid them.

After all that, no one wants to rehash the old thread every couple weeks ... so you lose the benefit of all that wisdom when you start a new thread.
    Hmm so it's something that can easily lead to problems if not well done? I never had problems with my current setup(53x39 and 11x28, it's pretty standard so no surprises). The pros now use the 11x32 pretty often without problems with 54 at the front sometimes. I saw that Tony Martin even had 58 at the front with 11x32 at the back. But they run much better gear so I guess I can't take much from that.

I actually would like a 54 or 56 at the front but for now that's ok. I want big ring to I can smash big gear. I also don't like to run out of gears in downhill terrain.
    You need to learn how to pedal a bicycle. Pro racers reach much higher speeds on road stages than time trials and they do it w/ 53 tooth big rings.

plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    They hit those speeds on road bikes when it's all about gravity. In slight downhill terrain you can be limited by a 53. And btw a 53 is not enough nowadays:

Permanently upgrading to 54t chainring. Modern cycling requires this to even keep up with Vuelta peloton on flat roads #fast #wattsfordays

They hit those speeds on road bikes when it's all about gravity. In slight downhill terrain you can be limited by a 53. And btw a 53 is not enough nowadays:
    No way YOU need that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Hmm so it's something that can easily lead to problems if not well done?
    Anything can lead to problems if it is not done well.
    I never had problems with my current setup(53x39 and 11x28, it's pretty standard so no surprises).
    But Shimano lists the capacity of its derailleurs and 32 teeth is beyond the listed capacity of the short-cage derailleur. I have heard that by opening the B-screw you can get an extra couple teeth, but that is with a 52-tooth ring. I don't know how much bigger (.375" circumference or .125 radius I'd estimate) but with even a 52-tooth big ring everyone I know would advise you to get a long-cage (GS) derailleur. I'd bet with the GS you'd again have absolutely no trouble. Of course, you'd have to set it up properly, but that shouldn't be hard.
    I saw that Tony Martin even had 58 at the front with 11x32 at the back. But they run much better gear so I guess I can't take much from that.
    What I would take from that is that the max range of the GS is 58x32.

The longer cage (and longer chain) means that the derailleur can take up more slack. if the SS derailleur cannot swing enough to handle the loos setting (39x11) as well as the tightest setting 53x32) then you risk snapping the chain or snapping the derailleur.

By the way, I thought Tony Martin's TT bike was a 1x---it had just one huge front gear. That means the derailleur needs to operate across a much smaller range of chain lengths.

plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No way YOU need that.
    some people don't like coasting. Why go at 70kph if you can go faster?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    some people don't like coasting. Why go at 70kph if you can go faster?
    In a 54/11 you're doing 110 rpm at 70 kph. Drop into a tight tuck at that speed and you will actually go faster than you could if you were pedaling (tight tuck = 1/3 less aero drag). Believe what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Anything can lead to problems if it is not done well. But Shimano lists the capacity of its derailleurs and 32 teeth is beyond the listed capacity of the short-cage derailleur. I have heard that by opening the B-screw you can get an extra couple teeth, but that is with a 52-tooth ring. I don't know how much bigger (.375" circumference or .125 radius I'd estimate) but with even a 52-tooth big ring everyone I know would advise you to get a long-cage (GS) derailleur. I'd bet with the GS you'd again have absolutely no trouble. Of course, you'd have to set it up properly, but that shouldn't be hard.
    What I would take from that is that the max range of the GS is 58x32.

The longer cage (and longer chain) means that the derailleur can take up more slack. if the SS derailleur cannot swing enough to handle the loos setting (39x11) as well as the tightest setting 53x32) then you risk snapping the chain or snapping the derailleur.

By the way, I thought Tony Martin's TT bike was a 1x---it had just one huge front gear. That means the derailleur needs to operate across a much smaller range of chain lengths.
    Ok, I see it's time to explain what derailleurs do and how they do it.

Obviously they switch the chain from cog to cog. They have dimensions that vary to allow them to work w/ different max cog sizes. 2 things have to happen:
    As the cogs get bigger the upper pulley needs to move at a steeper angle to clear the largest cog.
    As the cogs get bigger you need more chain so you can still go big/big, so the pulley cage has to be longer to wrap that chain in the smaller chainring/cog combinations.

Turning the b-tension screw all the way in (not 'opening it up') is not the correct way to make this work. You screw up shifting performance on the mid/high gear cogs in an attempt to get the upper pulley to clear a cog that is too big for the derailleur. Even if you do get it to clear the pulley you still have a cage that is too short to wrap the needed length of chain. It really is stupid to use an SS cage derailleur w/ an oversize big cog. And it's not about the cage not being able to 'swing' enough...that is not the problem.

plx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    if you have big gears you can train on downhill. junk miles are bad

Looks badass at the coffee shop too, hey?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Most races are won going up hill, just say'in!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    PLX: based on recent experience.

Rear Der/cassette question

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Most races are won going up hill, just say'in!
    This.

junk miles are bad
    I smell testosterone. There are no junk miles. All miles are good.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Banned forever.....or not
    If he wants to look badass, he needs to put on an 11-23. If he puts on a 32, people will think that the bike is for his Grandmother.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!