Witty custom user title

Change Hudz w/o cutting cables?

To make a long story short, my LBS ordered me a set of Hudz shifter covers (Ultegra 6600) and they went ahead and installed them prior to cabling and taping my bars. Unfortunately, the color doesn't match what I was trying to match them to on my frame. Is there any way at all to change these back out without having to tear off the tape and cut the cables? These are brand new sealed Gore cables and I do NOT want to cut them to change the hoods. Any ideas?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Just stretch them forward over the top of the hoods and down. Voila!
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    easy to do....no problem... change from the front.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Witty custom user title
    I must be missing something.....I'm talking about the 6600 Ultegra. With the NON-hidden cables that come out of the side of the shifter. It's possible to stretch the Hudz covers over the front and put stock ones back on without removing the cable?

Uber Clyde
    Ultegra 6600 you will have to disconnect the shift cables to get the hoods off the front.

No need to take the tape off.

If you had 6700 you wouldn't need to disconnect anything as all the cables are under the tape.

Witty custom user title
    That's what I was afraid of - I certainly do not want to have to cut brand new cable to change these hoods. I'm afraid I'm stuck with the non-matching color until I change cables.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Forgot about the non aero shifter cables on older Shimano. Sorry. savagemann nails it.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Uber Clyde
    No need to cut the cables.
    Just disconnect them from the derailluers and you are good to go.
    Of course you'll need to reconnect the cables when you are done.
    Make sure you shift into the small ring on the front and smallest cog on the back before disconnecting them.
    If you accidently shift the shifters while removing/installing the hudz, be sure to reshift them to the neutral/resting position before reconnecting the cables.
    Then adjust the barrels to achieve proper tension and you are good to go.
    Anytime you shift the shifters with the cables disconnected it is good practice to hold onto the cable to pull tension on it before doing so.
    Otherwise the cable head can get bound inside of the shifter.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by E 12 View Post
    I must be missing something.....I'm talking about the 6600 Ultegra. With the NON-hidden cables that come out of the side of the shifter. It's possible to stretch the Hudz covers over the front and put stock ones back on without removing the cable?
    I missed the Ultegra 6600 part....

Why would you have to cut the cable? Just remove them. You'll have to take the ferrules off the ends and adjust the derailleurs...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Militant commuter
    No need to cut the cables....just slit the Hudz at the point where the cable enters, slip them off, slit the new ones and slip them on!

I am kidding, of course.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    No need to cut the cables.
    Just disconnect them from the derailluers and you are good to go.
    Depends on the frame's routing. If it isn't 100% external, he's going to have to slap in new cables unless he manages to keep them from fraying once the crimp is pulled.

In that case, sorry OP. Just have to suck up to changing cables OR if you know your way with a soldering tool you may just do the ends of the cables and then be able to reuse them.

Witty custom user title
    Unfortunately, they are Gore sealed...which means I doubt I could re-use the cables if I tried to remove them. I didn't instal them, but my LBS that they were a hassle to route, specifically on my cross frame. Looks like I'm stuck until I re-cable

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by E 12 View Post
    Unfortunately, the color doesn't match what I was trying to match them to on my frame.

Krylon: Products: Fusion for Plastic®

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Gore brake setup as well?

Is it a full Gore setup with brakes and shift cables or just the shift cables? If you just did the shifters, here's what I would do.

1. Disconnect the brake cables and pull them out.
    2. Undo the bar clamp holding the whole shifter to the bike, allowing the shifter to pull away from the bar.
    3. Now that the clamp is undone, slide the huds backwards off the lever, put your new ones on the same way.
    4. Re-attach the lever, and re-run the brake cables.

No need to undo the tape or cut the brake cables, just undo the binder bolts.

Even if you did both, this would save the shifting cabling, which in my opinion is the more important of the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
    Is it a full Gore setup with brakes and shift cables or just the shift cables? If you just did the shifters, here's what I would do...
    Problem with that I presume for the OP is that he doesn't want to go through that hell (for some of us, myself included) process of aligning things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    The tape is still in place so that will give a point of reference for where the levers should sit on the bars (approximately). To get it perfect, just use a piece of string to measure from the end of the drop to the bottom of the shifter along the curve of the bar. Use that to reset the correct lever height and just eyeball the side to side placement. Shouldn't take more than 15-20 min to do.
    Last edited by batman1425; 01-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Batman is right, this is the way to go. There is one thing to be weary of though, if the bar tape has been wrapped in such a way that it covers the base of the shifter you may have trouble re-seating the shifter when you go to bolt it back down. If not and you can pull it away clear you will be sweet, you should also find the clamp wont move so you may only have to re-align the shifters side to side a little as you tighten them up.

MTBer in roadie's lycra
    Dec 2007
    You could also take them off from the back, but you'd have to disconnect the brakes. Pull the brake cable from the shifter, unscrew the binding bolt from inside the shifter, leave the band clamp and brake housing on the bar for reference (and of course leave the shift cable and housing set up), then take the hudz off from the rear. After that it's just a matter of running the brake cable again, and putting the shifter back in place.

On the whole it's about the same level of hassle as the shift cable, but it is an option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I recently changed frames and moved the Gore sealed cables from the old frame to the new frame, no problems. You should be able to pull them off, change the hoods, and reinstall them without too much difficulty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
    Is it a full Gore setup with brakes and shift cables or just the shift cables? If you just did the shifters, here's what I would do.

1. Disconnect the brake cables and pull them out.
    2. Undo the bar clamp holding the whole shifter to the bike, allowing the shifter to pull away from the bar.
    3. Now that the clamp is undone, slide the huds backwards off the lever, put your new ones on the same way.
    4. Re-attach the lever, and re-run the brake cables.

No need to undo the tape or cut the brake cables, just undo the binder bolts.

Even if you did both, this would save the shifting cabling, which in my opinion is the more important of the two.
    I did this yesterday when I installed white hoods onto my fiancee's Allez with 105 (5600) components. The cable routing should be the same as your Ultegras. The bar tape was on top of the shifter bases a bit, but I just put them in place and used a screw driver to flip the tape back over the shifter bases.
    2013 Salsa Colossal Steel
    2012 Giant Defy Composite
    2010 Trek Fuel EX
    2010 Specialized Allez
    2000 Trek 4500
    1995 Nashbar 5000R
    1991 Trek 750