RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Cheap strong clamping quick release skewers besides Dura-ace

Low cost. (Under $30 for front). Tried KCNC Ti but doesn't seem to tighten well. I think DA is $60.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Ultegra?
    1985 Schwinn World
    1986 Fuji Club
    1989 Fuji Saratoga
    2007 Felt F1X

RoadBikeReview Member
    FSA Scatto skewers have pretty strong clamping force, and can be found for that price. I used them to cure a rear wheel slipping problem that a bunch of other skewers couldn't remedy.
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    any of the closed cam shimanos are basically the same with different colors and labels

Steaming piles of opinion
    You won't find them stronger, cheaper, or heavier than these.

VO Quick Release Skewers

Someone mentioned looking at the entire Shimano range, and that would be top choice if you need to have a brand.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    You won't find them stronger, cheaper, or heavier than these.

VO Quick Release Skewers

Someone mentioned looking at the entire Shimano range, and that would be top choice if you need to have a brand.

^^^ something along those lines. Steel. "internal cam" - as different from the more common, cheaper and less reliable "external cam"
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Strong, light or cheap. Pick 2
    :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    Low cost. (Under $30 for front). Tried KCNC Ti but doesn't seem to tighten well. I think DA is $60.
    I have been using KCNC in stead of my stock DA skewers to save a few grams. I find they clamp adequately well. It's just a matter of getting used to the short lever.

other skewers i tried and recommend are DA and Fulcrum. Great bite but heavy.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    There is a seller on eBay with front Shimano Dura-ace (7800 or 7900) front's for around $10 in near new condition (I've bought 6, all were 9/10 to 9.5/10). He also has Ultegra (SL darker grey) for a few dollars less. He had some packs of 3 of each going for between $20 and $30.

For a matching rear, it's a little harder. They come up on eBay a bit, but not that often. Maybe a $10 front and then a $60 rear from the LBS ... so $70 for Dura-ace?

I am completely 100% sold on Shimano's internal cam design. I started with Deore on the MTB and 105 on the road, 'upgraded' to Zipp Ti, other Ti, Hope, American Classic ... then decided that actually the internal cam is much better, sold off all the bling ones and got Dura-ace (7700, 7800), Ultegra(6600), XT (760) and XTR (960). I couldn't be happier. Sure, they don't have Ti axles, but I trust Shimano have looked at that and don't think it's worth the risk for such a small weight gain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    FSA Scatto skewers have pretty strong clamping force, and can be found for that price. I used them to cure a rear wheel slipping problem that a bunch of other skewers couldn't remedy.
    I will second the FSA Scatto skewers, they are nice and have an internal cam, clamp very well, as well or better than Ultegra 6700 skewers.

Get me to In&Out
    The crank brothers split skewers hold very nicely.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

ebay seller

Quote Originally Posted by StillKeen View Post
    There is a seller on eBay with front Shimano Dura-ace (7800 or 7900) front's for around $10 in near new condition (I've bought 6, all were 9/10 to 9.5/10). He also has Ultegra (SL darker grey) for a few dollars less. He had some packs of 3 of each going for between $20 and $30.

For a matching rear, it's a little harder. They come up on eBay a bit, but not that often. Maybe a $10 front and then a $60 rear from the LBS ... so $70 for Dura-ace?

I am completely 100% sold on Shimano's internal cam design. I started with Deore on the MTB and 105 on the road, 'upgraded' to Zipp Ti, other Ti, Hope, American Classic ... then decided that actually the internal cam is much better, sold off all the bling ones and got Dura-ace (7700, 7800), Ultegra(6600), XT (760) and XTR (960). I couldn't be happier. Sure, they don't have Ti axles, but I trust Shimano have looked at that and don't think it's worth the risk for such a small weight gain.
    is this who you purchase the dura ace skewers from: http://r.ebay.com/ziMyBE?

RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp makes a nice inexpensive skewer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Just to second the comment that the absoulute cheapest internal cam Shimano QR works great. Until I can find something "prettier" I'm using a Shimano rear QR that I had laying around that probably came on one of the cheap bikes we've gone through over the years. It's very crudely finished, looks ugly, is probably heavy as all get-out, but works perfectly on my vintage steel frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
    Strong, light or cheap. Pick 2
    :-)
    LOL, yes one is always limited to 2 of the 3 options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Boyd Cycling Skewers - Boyd Cycling

The price is right, and I can vouch that these things have great power. I got them with a wheelset and returned a set of KCNC's because the wheels wobbled when they were installed.

chamois creme addict
    I don't bother with anything but Shimano or Campy/Fulcrum internal cam skewers. They are strong and reliable. Weight can be saved in other places.