Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

"Chirp" sound from rear hub question

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wooden legs 
#1 ·
Need help trouble shooting.

My rear hub, so I am guessing, is making a squeak/chirping sound. The sound repeats faster as I speed up. The sound only occurs when seated, when I shift my weight over the front of bars, no sound. It occurs under power and while coasting.

My hub is a 105 from 2002. Never been serviced for any reasons.

Any tips will be appeciated. I am going to mess with hub tonite.

#2 ·
Noise tracking.

It could be coming from any number of places, including your seat/seat post (noise goes away when you get off the saddle, right?). See if you can find somebody who will swap wheels with you, just to see if the noise goes away (then you know it's the wheel). If it is the wheel, the bearings may need to be cleaned and repacked with grease, it could be a spoke nipple (a drop of oil on each nipple at the rim and where the spoke enters the nipple), it could be where the spokes cross (a drop of oil) and it could be the quick release (clean and re-grease).

#4 ·
Damn, sounds like you have a bad case of hub crickets. ;)

#5 ·
check your seat first

Had similar problem thought it was loose stem on fork, the sounds travel... upon checking my seat for tightness (check simple things firstis a good rule) lightly greased the rails of my seat and retightened and the problem went away.

#6 ·
had the same problem at a shop i used to work at

on the selfsame 105 hub, no less. it took us forever to figure out what was going on, but try removing the rubber outer seal on your non drive side, if it's the model i'm thinking of it looks like a mini toilet plunger with a hole for the axel, you know what i'm talking about. then spin the wheel, see if the chirp is gone.

to fix this, we just greased up the contact points, but as soon as the grese wore out (problem occurred during winter, lots of snow and salt wore through the little layer of grease pretty quickly) the chirping came back. maybe some shaving, maybe a different dust cap? i dunno, experiment i guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.