RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

Chorus groupset for 2002 Bianchi San Remo?

Hello,

I need your help on an upgrade for a recreational and not particularly knowledgeable rider (me). I love my old 2002 Bianchi San Remo frame (still in regular use) and it has special meaning for me.

I can afford a major groupset upgrade, and would like to install Chorus on it. I realize it may be a sort of mismatch of frame to groupset. I'm not going to become an aggressive or racing rider, but why not have fine components on my old warhorse? I ride shorter distances often, but I don't often ride more than 30 miles at a stretch, and maybe a couple of slow centuries in a season.

So, first, is this upgrade possible? Second, keeping in mind that you can tell that it's my first choice, can you share some advice about it?

Thanks very much,
    bellmartin

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Doesn't make much sense but if you have your reasons go for it. It will work.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bellmartin View Post
    Hello,

I need your help on an upgrade for a recreational and not particularly knowledgeable rider (me). I love my old 2002 Bianchi San Remo frame (still in regular use) and it has special meaning for me.

I can afford a major groupset upgrade, and would like to install Chorus on it. I realize it may be a sort of mismatch of frame to groupset. I'm not going to become an aggressive or racing rider, but why not have fine components on my old warhorse? I ride shorter distances often, but I don't often ride more than 30 miles at a stretch, and maybe a couple of slow centuries in a season.

So, first, is this upgrade possible? Second, keeping in mind that you can tell that it's my first choice, can you share some advice about it?

Thanks very much,
    bellmartin
    I think the San Remo originally came with mostly Campy Mirage? So by going with Chorus, you'll get
    11 gears in back
    lighter weight
    lighter shifting action

To me that doesn't seem worth it, but its your bike and your money. Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Why not go with a lower Campy group such as Athena or Potenza. Chorus may be overkill here.

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    What groupset do you currently have on the San Remo? You may have to spread the rear dropout width from 126 mm to 130 mm.
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    What groupset do you currently have on the San Remo? You may have to spread the rear dropout width from 126 mm to 130 mm.
    If it's a 2002 bike, it is probably 130.

Should work just fine. I recently replaced the Dura Ace 7700 parts with Chorus on my 2001 Colnago C-40. The group was probably worth more than the frame, but it's got special meaning to me.

Too bad Ribble isn't selling Campy groups anymore. They got as low as $780 for a while there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He loves the bike so I can understand even though the financial side may be at odds. If this brings more enjoyment in the many years to come then go for it. Some builds in other areas of interests are head scratchers. For those that use them, they like to spend their $ that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Should definitely be possible as far as the frame goes but you may need to add the cost of a new rear wheel to it if the bike doesn't already have Campy.