RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Chris King Aheadset and Carbon Steerer Problem

I have never encountered this before, and did a quick search of the forums and did not find anything.

Problem:

When trying to tighten/compress a King aheadset on a carbon steerer fork, I have to over-tighten it to eliminate play. Steerer ends a 1/4" before the top of the stem, so the top cap is not bottoming out.

I am using an FSA expanding top cap.

All my other bikes use star fangled nuts w/o issues.

What am I doing wrong?
    2003 Pegoretti Luigino & Fina Estampa | 2012 Scott Scale Elite

wyrd bi ful rd
    I am using the No Threadset with a carbon steerer and the steerer is above the top of the stem. No problems with play and compressing as required ... 1.7NM or 15 in lbs, I think.

I am using a Ritchey Compression device.
    Name:  20121015 ritchey compression device FORUM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  8.8 KB
    Last edited by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n; 10-15-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Your griplock might be binding - maybe a disassembly, grease as per instructions, and reassembly will help. Take care not to shear the o-ring.

My other 'need to overtighten' scenarios have always been about something being slightly out of alignment - a cup possibly, but most often the crown race or baseplate not dead flush on the crown - a bit of paint, a speck of dirt - it takes very little to create a problem.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    I am using the No Threadset with a carbon steerer and the steerer is above the top of the stem. No problems with play and compressing as required ... 1.7NM or 15 in lbs, I think.

I am using a Ritchey Compression device.
    Name:  20121015 ritchey compression device FORUM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  8.8 KB
    I like the knurling on that. It looks much better than the FSA I have. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    Your griplock might be binding - maybe a disassembly, grease as per instructions, and reassembly will help. Take care not to shear the o-ring.

My other 'need to overtighten' scenarios have always been about something being slightly out of alignment - a cup possibly, but most often the crown race or baseplate not dead flush on the crown - a bit of paint, a speck of dirt - it takes very little to create a problem.
    Thanks! I took it all apart and it seems clear. The o-ring is still annoyingly tight. The cups and crown race were installed by a shop and look and feel OK (anytime I have installed headsets using ghetto methods the steering has been noticeably wonky).
    2003 Pegoretti Luigino & Fina Estampa | 2012 Scott Scale Elite

wyrd bi ful rd
    Star fangled nuts works so well, we do not give enough credit to it.

There are a lot of problems with various compression nuts for carbon steerers. Usually they will not get a good grip and slip as you compress. The Ritchey in my case, I get to the recommended torque before any slipping.