RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Chris King BB for a BB30 crankset/frame ?

Sorry if this has been discussed but I could not find it. I'm building up a Caad 10(replacing my original Cannondale i bought brand new in mid 80's!!!)which uses a BB30. I'm going with Sram Red crankset and I would like to use a Chris King BB.
    My question is It looks like Chris King doesn't make Bearing for a BB 30 crank? I'm guessing that I will need to use an adapter with one of their other bottom brackets?
    I'm considering using a hawk bearings, any opinions on that?
    Thanks for any help and recommendations on this.

RoadBikeReview Member

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by supermanrob View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed but I could not find it. I'm building up a Caad 10(replacing my original Cannondale i bought brand new in mid 80's!!!)which uses a BB30. I'm going with Sram Red crankset and I would like to use a Chris King BB.
    My question is It looks like Chris King doesn't make Bearing for a BB 30 crank? I'm guessing that I will need to use an adapter with one of their other bottom brackets?
    I'm considering using a hawk bearings, any opinions on that?
    Thanks for any help and recommendations on this.
    Sounds like you're confused. You want to use a King bottom bracket or a Hawk bb? Do you want to use a BB30 crank, right? If you use some kind of adapter you can't use a BB30 crank anymore, you'd be using a GXP type.
    Why don't you just use the standard BB30 bearings and be done with it?

Oooohhhhhh...'cuz they make noise and need to be removed, greased, and re-installed constantly.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks I looked at that and my understanding is pressfit30 is different than BB30 ? I'm not sure that pressfit will work without some configuration?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by loubnc View Post
    You're confused as well.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like you're confused. You want to use a King bottom bracket or a Hawk bb? Do you want to use a BB30 crank, right? If you use some kind of adapter you can't use a BB30 crank anymore, you'd be using a GXP type.

Oooohhhhhh...'cuz they make noise and need to be removed, greased, and re-installed constantly.
    Like I said the 10 is BB30 and i went with Sram Red cranks which is BB30 also( not sure why you would think it was a GXP model crank!!!??)
    Yes my first choice is to use a king bottom bracket if I don't need to use any type of different configuration or adapters to do so. If King doesn't make a bottom bracket/bearings for a BB 30(which looks like they don't) then my second choice would be Hawk bearings for BB30 (which looks like they make) ?
    I'm not a bike mechanic so I was hoping that you more knowledgeable people could help me out? Yes, I get it you do not like BB30 but not everyone feels that way.
    I guess I'm just trying to get some confirmation from you more knowledgeable people of what i have read that Chris King does not make bottom bracket(or bearings) for BB 30 ?If that's the case I can just move on to an alternative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, I misread your post. Looks like you have a choice of either some sort of adapter or just using BB30 bearings and crank.

It is interesting that Cannondale went PF30 on their Evo line. With the trickle-down effect that most companies use, BB30 may be on it's way out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use an FSA SL-K BB30 crank with SRAM BB30 bearings. I haven't had any problems out of them after 2500 or so miles. Anecdotal, I know, but they seem to be good so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The CK bearing 'may' work, but you would have to find out the dimensions of the bearings that are used in their pressfit 30 assembly. Then either remove them, or see if CK would sell them disassembled.
    Normally the actual BB30 bearing (a 6806) is simply pressed into a delrin cup and voila, a PF30 assembly. So if CK used the 6808 dimensions for their bearing, then it 'should'.
    As for BB30 making noise, not if you follow the instructions and use a sleeve retaining compound and properly clean and prime first, then let it sit over night. I have not a had a SINGLE customer return with noise, but I've had multiple phone calls with thank yous. But that should be another thread altogether.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for pointing that out. Just trying to help the OP. It's easy to be confused by all the different acronyms, but you already knew that too, didn't you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    The CK bearing 'may' work, but you would have to find out the dimensions of the bearings that are used in their pressfit 30 assembly. Then either remove them, or see if CK would sell them disassembled.
    Normally the actual BB30 bearing (a 6806) is simply pressed into a delrin cup and voila, a PF30 assembly. So if CK used the 6808 dimensions for their bearing, then it 'should'.
    As for BB30 making noise, not if you follow the instructions and use a sleeve retaining compound and properly clean and prime first, then let it sit over night. I have not a had a SINGLE customer return with noise, but I've had multiple phone calls with thank yous. But that should be another thread altogether.
    Great thank you for the info. I wonder if anyone has looked into this or tried this before on here?
    It sounds like that's going to be a little too much work, that's if it even works?
    As far as the hawk bearings of what I read most of the negative comments come from more of the claims made on their website But looks like for the most part the people actually using those bearings like them.
    Have you ever dealt with or worked with Hawk bearings, if so what are your thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    No experience with Hawks. I do have some experience with the CK bearings though. I ran the threaded version for a bit on an older bike of mine and was less than impressed. I had the tool for greasing them and made it a habit of flushing new grease through every six months or after a rain ride. They didn't last a full year before they got gritty. I had CK put new bearings in the shell for me and I promptly sold it and went back to a regular Shimano BB. It has a bit more drag, but I got over 10k miles on it before i sold that bike. My current frame is BB30 and they are still spinning smooth after 2 years and 6k miles. I'm in the process of changing frames again and have a set of Phil Wood BB30 bearings that I'm gonna try this time. No reason other than I'm curious. Perk of being a wrench, we can try things for cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by loubnc View Post
    Sorry, I misread your post. Looks like you have a choice of either some sort of adapter or just using BB30 bearings and crank.

It is interesting that Cannondale went PF30 on their Evo line. With the trickle-down effect that most companies use, BB30 may be on it's way out.
    From what limit reading I have done with PF30, it seems to be an evolution of the BB30 set up. Maybe someone else has more details, but something with ease of mfg of the BB and frame.

another reason could be Cannondale and SRAM seem to be bed buddies. SRAM has had their PF stuff going, so it's was just a matter of time.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

We've had good luck in a small sample size with the praxis conversion BB, btw