RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

CicloSport "CicloMaster" CM436M Bicycle Computer (Altimeter)

Hello,

I bought this monster of a cycle computer about a month ago. After struggling through the installation and finally figuring out how to use it to record a days ride I'm still having trouble.

1. I cant seem to get it to turn off - which explains why the other people who reviewed this
    thing have so many posts abbout changing batteries (which like the computer are expensive).

2. I cant get the software for the PC to accept an upload.

The main reason for all problems is both the design of the computer, and also the complete and utter lack of documentation - I'm exagerating a little. Well lets say it looks like it was written in german and transalated into a dozen other languages, and then finally English. Also there are no descriptions of the process of actually doing an upload.

If you have one of these things and have actually done a download, let me know.
    Here are the specific steps I used:

My biggest problem is in understanding the documentation and Help system. There seems to be absolutely no description of how to upload data.

I have to say that in all my years of looking at technical documents, well ? it needs improvement!!!

As far I can tell the Steps are:

1. Install the CicloTour software from the CD
    2. Put the CM436-M cyclometer (CicloMaster) on the special USB upload device (CicloSport)
    3 .Plug in the USB port. The PC should recognize a new hardware attachment.
    a) The PC should then realize it lacks the proper drivers, and will look for them on the Ciclotour CD
    b) IF it finds them, and is successful it will finish the driver install and the menu will disappear.
    c) If it doesn?t find them, download them from the ciclosport web site.
    4. Run the CicloTour Software
    5. Check the basic settings to make sure the current com port settings are accurate (COM1) for serial data input
    i. Note: I wonder if Com1 is the correct port.

6. Set up the software to be listening for data coming from the Cyclometer.
    i. Open a Profile and give it a name
    ii. Click on the FILE menu and choose Connect

7. Begin the download process by going into Basic Setup for the Altitude setting:
    8. Toggle the right button until the current altitude is shown
    9. Hold the left button down for three seconds
    10. Toggle past each of the digits in the altitude setting by pressing the left button once for each digit, until you see the flashing letters: PC
    i. It will toggle through each digit twice

ii. while you are at it, you can set the altitude.

11 When you see the flashing letters PC, you can begin an upload by pressing both buttons simultaneously.
    12 AND NOTHIING HAPPENS ? Data does not upload although the Cyclometer is reporting that it is sending data (changing % signs)

What am I doing wrong ???

Where in the world is this documented ???

OK ? So that's how far I've gotten.

Note: the instructions above are an attempt by me to write down the proper steps. Since they are not documented anywhere at all, and since I haven't been successful as of today, I am going to keep trying.

THANK for all feedback. Feel free to email me via my profile on this forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Com Port

If you are using windows you have to go into the windows Device manager and see what com port you are really using and set up the port setting. Until these settings are right nothing will happen. I will have to go home and check my settings to see what they are. Once you get the hang of it everything works well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I always try to use the same USB-port, because then the assigned com port tend to be the same as in previos downloads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    your trouble is your settings with your PC. most likely the com port. I've been using a serial to usb adaptor for a year and it is fantastic and downloads everytime. You have to turn the recording on and off at the start of and end of every ride other wise it will just keep recording. Remember it is doing the job of several computers has 64 hours of memory and is always running the Altimeter so is it normal to need more power. I found the batterys at my grocery store in a doub;e medical pack for $1.99 a set. That's very inexpensive.

livefreeordie
    Jan 2006

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rooksmith
    Hello,

I bought this monster of a cycle computer about a month ago. After struggling through the installation and finally figuring out how to use it to record a days ride I'm still having trouble.

1. I cant seem to get it to turn off - which explains why the other people who reviewed this
    thing have so many posts abbout changing batteries (which like the computer are expensive).

2. I cant get the software for the PC to accept an upload.

The main reason for all problems is both the design of the computer, and also the complete and utter lack of documentation - I'm exagerating a little. Well lets say it looks like it was written in german and transalated into a dozen other languages, and then finally English. Also there are no descriptions of the process of actually doing an upload.

If you have one of these things and have actually done a download, let me know.
    Here are the specific steps I used:

My biggest problem is in understanding the documentation and Help system. There seems to be absolutely no description of how to upload data.

I have to say that in all my years of looking at technical documents, well ? it needs improvement!!!

As far I can tell the Steps are:

1. Install the CicloTour software from the CD
    2. Put the CM436-M cyclometer (CicloMaster) on the special USB upload device (CicloSport)
    3 .Plug in the USB port. The PC should recognize a new hardware attachment.
    a) The PC should then realize it lacks the proper drivers, and will look for them on the Ciclotour CD
    b) IF it finds them, and is successful it will finish the driver install and the menu will disappear.
    c) If it doesn?t find them, download them from the ciclosport web site.
    4. Run the CicloTour Software
    5. Check the basic settings to make sure the current com port settings are accurate (COM1) for serial data input
    i. Note: I wonder if Com1 is the correct port.

6. Set up the software to be listening for data coming from the Cyclometer.
    i. Open a Profile and give it a name
    ii. Click on the FILE menu and choose Connect

7. Begin the download process by going into Basic Setup for the Altitude setting:
    8. Toggle the right button until the current altitude is shown
    9. Hold the left button down for three seconds
    10. Toggle past each of the digits in the altitude setting by pressing the left button once for each digit, until you see the flashing letters: PC
    i. It will toggle through each digit twice

ii. while you are at it, you can set the altitude.

11 When you see the flashing letters PC, you can begin an upload by pressing both buttons simultaneously.
    12 AND NOTHIING HAPPENS ? Data does not upload although the Cyclometer is reporting that it is sending data (changing % signs)

What am I doing wrong ???

Where in the world is this documented ???

OK ? So that's how far I've gotten.

Note: the instructions above are an attempt by me to write down the proper steps. Since they are not documented anywhere at all, and since I haven't been successful as of today, I am going to keep trying.

THANK for all feedback. Feel free to email me via my profile on this forum.

Had almost the same scnerio as you. I have still not been able to get the data from my 434 to load into the ciclotour software, but my info may advance the ball for you.

1. First the com port. I had to go into the Options menu - Preferences section of Ciclotour and click the tab for Data Import. Here I set the COM imput (mine would only work on "5"). Once done, this let me download.

2. The download: I first opened Ciclotour, and hit the watch icon for direct import. A screen shows up with a 'speedometer' to read the % of download. Then I activated teh ciclocomputer as you did (in the PC mode) and the download began (the speedo on the PC showing it was receiving the data).

Here the rub> The data seems to get to the PC, but the only place I can find it is under the File Menu, Show Raw Datas. And, its just a simple list of brief info - not all the info. Worse, the data does not populate all 'area' of the Ciclotour software - so, when I look under the tour profiles, etc., I see NOTHING! Very frustrating.

Someone in this thread mentioned something I will try - naming the 'tour' before I download. Maybe this will help. But, I have never been prompted to do this. And, as you mention - the download info/insturctions are next to nothing.

One final thought - the software (inthe help area) mentions to make sure you have the file paths correctly identified (see them under Options, Preferences). I looked on the raw data page to see the file its is dumpiing into - then I checked that file path by using the browse funciton - can't find the data there. Not sure why, but I suspect this is the root of my problem.

Hope this helps you a bit. If you solve the download riddle please post - I would really like to be able to use the analysis functions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsaxton
    Had almost the same scnerio as you. I have still not been able to get the data from my 434 to load into the ciclotour software, but my info may advance the ball for you.

1. First the com port. I had to go into the Options menu - Preferences section of Ciclotour and click the tab for Data Import. Here I set the COM imput (mine would only work on "5"). Once done, this let me download.

2. The download: I first opened Ciclotour, and hit the watch icon for direct import. A screen shows up with a 'speedometer' to read the % of download. Then I activated teh ciclocomputer as you did (in the PC mode) and the download began (the speedo on the PC showing it was receiving the data).

Here the rub> The data seems to get to the PC, but the only place I can find it is under the File Menu, Show Raw Datas. And, its just a simple list of brief info - not all the info. Worse, the data does not populate all 'area' of the Ciclotour software - so, when I look under the tour profiles, etc., I see NOTHING! Very frustrating.

Someone in this thread mentioned something I will try - naming the 'tour' before I download. Maybe this will help. But, I have never been prompted to do this. And, as you mention - the download info/insturctions are next to nothing.

One final thought - the software (inthe help area) mentions to make sure you have the file paths correctly identified (see them under Options, Preferences). I looked on the raw data page to see the file its is dumpiing into - then I checked that file path by using the browse funciton - can't find the data there. Not sure why, but I suspect this is the root of my problem.

Hope this helps you a bit. If you solve the download riddle please post - I would really like to be able to use the analysis functions.
    OK, I can't comment on the problems with the USB/serial converters, because mine just has a serial connector, not USB, but I can describe what I do to import data.
    Once you've gotten your ride info in 'Raw Data' window, you can double-click a particular ride there to examine it, which lets you look at all the data it recorded for that ride. That is, it lets you overlay speed, temp, grade, etc., over the altitude profile. If you want to use the historical features, you need to tell it to record the ride in its database. I don't have the software in front of me, but I think you do that from the Tour screen, which you get with 'ctrl-t' (I think). You click the record button in that to save the ride for comparison with others, etc.

livefreeordie
    Jan 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamoose
    OK, I can't comment on the problems with the USB/serial converters, because mine just has a serial connector, not USB, but I can describe what I do to import data.
    Once you've gotten your ride info in 'Raw Data' window, you can double-click a particular ride there to examine it, which lets you look at all the data it recorded for that ride. That is, it lets you overlay speed, temp, grade, etc., over the altitude profile. If you want to use the historical features, you need to tell it to record the ride in its database. I don't have the software in front of me, but I think you do that from the Tour screen, which you get with 'ctrl-t' (I think). You click the record button in that to save the ride for comparison with others, etc.

Ah HA!!! Thanks Alphamoose (won't ask how you came up with that moniker!), your suggestion worked (dbl clicking on the listed rides in the Raw Data to access the data).

One other question, in reviewing all the info (altitude, time, speed, etc.- all nicely graphically represented), I cannot seem to find data on the watts expended. This seems odd in that its one of the catagories of data tracked real-time by the cyclocomputer (the "p" function) and accessible while riding. In fact, it was the data I was most anxious to see - I wanted to track my effort intensity over the course of my ride. Does anyone know if this info should be in the raw data, and if so, how to access it?
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsaxton
    Ah HA!!! Thanks Alphamoose (won't ask how you came up with that moniker!), your suggestion worked (dbl clicking on the listed rides in the Raw Data to access the data).

One other question, in reviewing all the info (altitude, time, speed, etc.- all nicely graphically represented), I cannot seem to find data on the watts expended. This seems odd in that its one of the catagories of data tracked real-time by the cyclocomputer (the "p" function) and accessible while riding. In fact, it was the data I was most anxious to see - I wanted to track my effort intensity over the course of my ride. Does anyone know if this info should be in the raw data, and if so, how to access it?
    Thanks
    As near as I can tell, CicloTour doesn't show the power or cadence information at all. Only their other program, HACtronic, I think, shows that. That one seems to do considerably less than CicloTour, but it's the only way I know to download the power info.