RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Clamp-on rack on ti seatpost?

I have a 2002 Litespeed Classic with a Litespeed ti seatpost. I'd like to put my clamp-on rack (not quick release) on the bike. Am I looking at disaster? I have old aluminum seatposts that I can swap out if I really have to but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Opinion:
    That's a nice seat post with a nice finish. If you are permanently installing a heavy rack, why do it on a nice post? Screw up the finish on a Kalloy instead and keep the Ti post for when you have reason to remove that thing again.

It isn't like you need the weight savings when you're using a rack.

If this was a QR rack I could understand it, but you're going to have to remove the post anyway to install the rack, right?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Opinion:
    That's a nice seat post with a nice finish. If you are permanently installing a heavy rack, why do it on a nice post? Screw up the finish on a Kalloy instead and keep the Ti post for when you have reason to remove that thing again.

It isn't like you need the weight savings when you're using a rack.

If this was a QR rack I could understand it, but you're going to have to remove the post anyway to install the rack, right?
    What he said. I used to have a rack that clamped onto the seatpost (no where else though). I found it useful to have a dedicated post and saddle just for the rack. I also had a post and saddle for times when I wanted to ride the bike without the rack. Just pull one off and put the other on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see no reason to not put the rack on your ti post. However, one alternative to consider is the Arkel Randonneur rack, which hangs from the seat rails and rests against the seat post with a rubber clamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    "you're going to have to remove the post anyway to install the rack, right?" No removal of seatpost is needed to install the rack. Having said that, I think I'll go with your suggestion and do what pmf suggests. It's not like I have to buy anything. I have plenty of seats and posts. Thanks you both for your replies.