Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Well, yes, it is oil and solvent. But it's way more solvent than oil.
    So more like a 'dry' lube than a 'wet' lube?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,455
    Long shot...Chainring bolt scraping chainstay?

  3. #28
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,164
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Long shot...Chainring bolt scraping chainstay?
    Since the OP checked his CR bolts that would be a real long shot...like he'd probably notice he had a bent crank first kinda long shot. And it would probably not be a 'click'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since the OP checked his CR bolts that would be a real long shot...like he'd probably notice he had a bent crank first kinda long shot. And it would probably not be a 'click'.
    Yep I'm just throwing **** at the wall more than anything. I only bring it up as we have no idea why after thousands of miles my crank shifted enough for the cr bolts to rub the stay. Wore the paint off of my beloved Factor GD it.

    It took 3 of us sitting there in the shop with the bike in the stand to figure it out. The rubbing that is. IIRC it was a clicking sound but not like a creaking popping one you might hear with a BB, seat post etc...

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,455
    The other one that took me a while was (I realize the OP has DI2) my FD cable end was bent out enough so that the crank arm was hitting it each revolution. Just funny how simple some of these creaks can be...

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,604
    Maybe he's got a ... nail in his tire and it's clicking everytime it hits the ground when he goes around a corner?
    BANNED

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since the OP checked his CR bolts that would be a real long shot...like he'd probably notice he had a bent crank first kinda long shot. And it would probably not be a 'click'.
    And if he had a bent crank or ring, shifting would suck too.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13
    Update....sort of. Went to another LBS for a second opinion. Apparently press fit bbs like mine are an industry potential problem. Even though it was checked by the previous bike shop, there is a question if the bearing cups might have a small amount of play where they contact the frame. More to learn next week.

  9. #34
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,164
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbigcog View Post
    Update....sort of. Went to another LBS for a second opinion. Apparently press fit bbs like mine are an industry potential problem. Even though it was checked by the previous bike shop, there is a question if the bearing cups might have a small amount of play where they contact the frame. More to learn next week.
    They can be problematic, we replace lots of them w/ the 'press-fit' type that screw together in the middle. Enduro, Wheels Manufacturing...there are a few good ones.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    They can be problematic, we replace lots of them w/ the 'press-fit' type that screw together in the middle. Enduro, Wheels Manufacturing...there are a few good ones.
    Yep. This is the FIRST thing I do on any bike with any of the dozen or so press-fit BB standards if it creaks or clicks. The change from threaded BBs was just dumb (and analogous in many ways to disc brakes - more $ for manufacturers, more hassle and no meaningful performance improvement for customers).
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

  11. #36
    help us all
    Reputation: tdietz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    disc brakes - more $ for manufacturers, more hassle and no meaningful performance improvement for customers
    Do you really think disc brakes don’t provide a meaningful performance improvement? If so, why? It seems most comparisons find disc brakes more effective at stopping a bicycle.

  12. #37
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,164
    Quote Originally Posted by tdietz87 View Post
    Do you really think disc brakes don’t provide a meaningful performance improvement? If so, why? It seems most comparisons find disc brakes more effective at stopping a bicycle.
    They are, it's just not worth arguing w/ some people.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13
    All better now....Wheels Mfg. bb installed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. click-click, click-click (nnc)
    By asciibaron in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 07:05 AM
  4. Click - click - click
    By bimini in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 09:06 AM
  5. click-click...ping, click. Am Classic cr-420 hub noise
    By mr meow meow in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.