RoadBikeReview Member

Clip on Aero Bar recommendations

I would like to try some Aero bars to provide another hand position for long rides, the kind that would clip on on top of standard drop bars. There's a set locally for sale, like new Profile Design for a reasonable price, but I understand the pads don't fold up for riding on the tops standing (apparently some brands do?). Any recommendations?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Profiles are standard and fairly well engineered. And not too expensive. Some Profiles have spring-loaded arm-rests to get out of the way...although the springs don't last forever. It depends on what you want to spend, and how much you want to screw with your bike fit to use them. It is all about fit. And whether you want to screw up your dropbar fit to make the aerobar work best.

MAKE SURE YOUR HANDLEBAR IS RATED FOR USING THEM. NOT ALL DROP BARS ARE ENGINEERED FOR AEROBARS. PARTICULARLY CARBON.

For example...the Profile Century are the cheapest, but reliable:

https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Desig.../dp/B000OZFQP0

-Extension length and width is fixed. As is the angle of the J-bend
    -Pad width and placement however is adjustable. narrower is more aerodynamic but harder to breathe
    -Pads don't fold up.

Which for a cheap aerobar isn't too bad a deal. So long as your position on the bar is comfortable on your forearms and you aren't over or under-reaching with your hands to the extension. I use them on my gravel touring bike and they fit fine---I'm comfy with them set 1-notch above the narrowest setting....so they don't eat much of my handlebar real estate.

Or there's the Century...but with folding rests:

https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Desig...dp/B000K1KO4G/

But if say my arms were shorter or torso shorter, and I didn't want to compromise my dropbar fit...I'd instead get a bar like Profile's T3 alloy. Not too much more expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Desig...dp/B00JRCTLUC/

What I gain is fore/aft adjustment of the extensions, also angle adjustment of the J-bends.

Going more aerodynamic (and higher in price)....you get S-bend instead of J-bend extensions...you get higher end materials and so on. Profile or 3T or Syntace are reputable. There are look a likes (even on Amazon)--buy the genuine article that is $100USD+, or have good dental insurance.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I use the air strike fold up on both my road bikes, except I prefer the individual handles that are not one piece connected at the front (the J bends). Over the years I have used those handles from some other set, I hate the ones that are connected.

The padding falls off sometimes, I finally just put some shelf foam with double sided tape on the top to keep something there, you don't need much on your armrests. And the springs break eventually, I use a rubber band to keep the rests up when I'm on the hoods or tops.

I wouldn't have a road bike without them, will add 1-3MPH to your top speed, great for closing a gap or getting away and staying away.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys,

I have Bontrager aluminum iso-zone bars - how would I know if they are designed for aero bars? Looks like there's enough round surface to mount bars on them and still have room for a bike computer mount in between.

Can you get to the tops of the bars as a riding position with these if I mount them so the aero bars are on top of the current bars? I like the idea of fold up like the aerostryke, but not sure they are going to hold up on rough gravel courses. Are the profile design bars mounts plastic or aluminum?

What's the difference between J and S bends besides obvious shape?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think any alum bar would work, the mounting hardware is not the greatest so I would not recommend carbon bars unless you have a team mechanic.

The materials look like forge steel pieces, I have never had any of the parts fail other than the springs and little axles for the pivots on the aerostrykers.

I don't think you would want to be in them on a gravel road, definitely not with loose gravel. You have to realize that your balance and control is reduced when you are in the bars. I would not consider riding in them on any gravel road or where there is any loose material.
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Thanks guys,

I have Bontrager aluminum iso-zone bars - how would I know if they are designed for aero bars? Looks like there's enough round surface to mount bars on them and still have room for a bike computer mount in between.

Can you get to the tops of the bars as a riding position with these if I mount them so the aero bars are on top of the current bars? I like the idea of fold up like the aerostryke, but not sure they are going to hold up on rough gravel courses. Are the profile design bars mounts plastic or aluminum?

What's the difference between J and S bends besides obvious shape?
    If they're alloy, they're probably safe to use. Ask Bontrager if you want.

S bends are a bit more aerodynamic...but IMHO are less comfortable. Any bars you should want to buy will use metal mounting hardware brackets. Profile briefly experimented with plastic and it didn't go well.

Per Duriel, for rough stuff, drops are better. But for hardpack surfaces, aerobars can be nice. Remember you're steering with your elbows, it can be very sketchy...although honestly on wider 40mm file-tread tires it is much more forgiving and less sketchy than 23mm roadie tires.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Some good info, particularly making sure your bars are clip-on compatible. As for a specific brand, I will also recommend the extensions Marc linked, https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Desig...dp/B00JRCTLUC/

HOWEVER, do not get the Profile Design J2 mounting hardware shown in that link. It is poorly designed, slips often, and is extremely annoying to adjust. I use the PD T3 aluminum extensions, and the PD F-35 armrests. The PD J4 mounting hardware is much improved, though I haven't used it. I am not sure if you can order all of these pieces as a set.

I use the Redshift hardware; it's great, but a bit pricey unless you need the QR functionality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys - looks like all the T and T+ profile design bars have the J2 hardware and the V series has other hardware according to their website. The Redshift is pretty interesting for sure.

Marc, for the profile Century where do you put your computer? Is there room to put a large garmin between the bars using an outfront mount? Seems if it was off to the side the pads would block the view.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett