RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Co2 tire inflators..........

i'll be getting my 'cross bike next week and thought I would try these inflators instead of carrying around a frame pump. I've never tried one so i'm looking for a good one. I guess i'll be using 700x32 tires and I should carry one charge per tire. how many here use them? better or worse or pretty much the same as a frame pump? what size cartridge to fill a flat 32 tire? can you get two tires out of one charge?
    thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna View Post
    i'll be getting my 'cross bike next week and thought I would try these inflators instead of carrying around a frame pump. I've never tried one so i'm looking for a good one. I guess i'll be using 700x32 tires and I should carry one charge per tire. how many here use them? better or worse or pretty much the same as a frame pump? what size cartridge to fill a flat 32 tire? can you get two tires out of one charge?
    thanks.
    Yep, I use them, much preferred to a frame pump, easy and fast - You won't get 2 tires out of one CO2 cartridge, you should get 1 though. Carry more than you need for a change, I normally have 3 cartridges in my roadbike saddle bag, and 2 tubes. For my gravel rides with 40mm tires I carry 4 or 5 and a frame pump. Practice at home once to make sure you know how it works. I've had some good laughs watching people use them the first time, from freezing to their fingers to discharging all the gas screwing in the cartridge to the dispenser.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I carry co2 on group rides as a courtesy to others in the group because it's way quicker than a mini-pump so it'll reduce their wait time (big frame pump is out of the question for me but a good one can be pretty quick). And if something goes wrong with the co2 or I need more than I brought someone else on the ride can bail me out.

There is not way I would rely on co2 alone for solo rides with big tires. Mini-pumps are slow and suck to use but they don't run out or malfunction (well, I suppose they could brake). You could be fine carrying a bunch of co2 but more than a couple gets heavy and bulky compared to a small pump.

Whatever you do get a presta to schrader converter so you can use the nearest gas station in emergencies or if you happen to flat right by one. I've never actually used one but considering they cost next to nothing and weigh nothing it's good to have that emergency option. Not that you'll always be near a gas station but it'll often be closer than home or another pump.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I carry both. Mini pump and C02. Most of my rides are group rides so CO2 is the more polite option to not keep everyone waiting. I don't normally carry more than one since there's always someone to borrow from.
    I use a simple screw on inflator. https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...no-20-gram.php I find them less troublesome than others with buttons, triggers, chucks, etc.

This should give you a good idea of how much CO2 needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Practice at home once to make sure you know how it works.
    Emphasis added.
    Last thing you want to be doing is figuring out how your inflator works out on the road and dumping all your C02 to atmosphere.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I use a simple screw on inflator. https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...no-20-gram.php I find them less troublesome than others with buttons, triggers, chucks, etc.
    I'll second that. I've never used anything but that one but I've seen enough mishaps with people using other options.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    PS...buy them in bulk, not from bike shops.

You can get 16g threaded for about $1 a shot from gas vendors on eBay. Here's on seller I've bought from:

30 CO2 16g cartridge threaded tire inflator sport C02 16 gram (30) gas depot TH | eBay
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back 100yrs ago I had a couple of these, but made of brass. About twice as long as a presta to schrader adapter and easy as heck to use. Screw it to the valve and then screw the co2 canister to the inflator. when done unscrew the whole shibang from the tire valve.

Name:  co2.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  15.1 KB

PS...remember to deflate the tire when you get home and reinflate with air.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you have a lot of flats, the trigger kind will accept unthreaded, which are a lot cheaper and available in the air gun section of WallyWorld. A 12g unit will get a tire up enough to finish the ride if u're not too aggressive, which for me is good enough.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    These guys make nice stuff - I keep one of the smaller ones in all of my saddle bags.

CO2 Inflators | ProBikeTool

Fecal indicator
    after decades of using frame pumps, switched to CO2 many years ago...

no regrets.

have had 3 inflators...here's the current one and my favorite:

https://ridepdw.com/collections/infl...s/shiny-object
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    here's the current one and my favorite:

https://ridepdw.com/collections/infl...s/shiny-object
    This is easily my favorite of about 1/2 dozen that I own. Just keep the knurled knob away from soft objects. It can wear through things. Like tubes. Ask me how I know...

Banned forever.....or not
    I use the 12g unthreaded Ultraflate, and get the carts at Walmart....Works fine on a 23mm tire, and "good enough" on a 25mm tire.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    ok, now..... do you prefer a screw on or a press on head??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    And don't be shocked when you notice the next day that your tire is almost flat again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    And don't be shocked when you notice the next day that your tire is almost flat again.
    Yep! reinflate next day and good to go.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'll second that. I've never used anything but that one but I've seen enough mishaps with people using other options.
    I agree, simple is best, nothing to go wrong. I have used simple and fancy ones, now all 8 bikes have a tiny bag with this one and two cartridges with a little wrap of masking tape around them for the cold. I screw the cartridge in and then slightly back out long enough to put in a few psi. If all looks good let the CO2 out to settle the tube and back the cartridge out again to inflate to near desired pressure.

Banned forever.....or not
    Yes, anything carbon based passes through butyl rubber much faster than 80% Nitrogen 20% Oxygen
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I have two Genuine Innovations Second Wind pumps. They work great as a pump or CO2 inflator. Looks like they aren't being made anymore, but are still on the market.