Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    Except you didn't even read my post carefully since the Squirt instructions are in my reply. I followed them about as well as you possibly could.

1) I degreased a brand new chain in an ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green Extreme Aircraft/Precision formula (to prevent hydrogen embrittlement)
    2) I wiped away the excess and transferred the chain to an old water bottle filled with distilled water. I shook it up, removed the chain and patted it down with rags.
    3) I let it dry overnight.
    4) I also fully cleaned/degreased my cassette and chainrings, and removed excess grease from the derailleur cages.
    5) After installing the bone dry chain, I dripped Squirt on each roller on the "inside" of the chain. I backpedaled a few more revolutions to let the still fluid wax penetrate the pins/rollers. I let it dry for a couple of hours.
    6) I then applied a second coat, a single drop per roller as instructed and let it dry overnight.

Upon getting the gritty noises at the 40mi mark the first time, I decided to try again, but with one change. I had seen a YouTube video of a guy massaging the Squirt into each roller assembly with his fingertips. I tried that too. No real change. Every time I applied new Squirt, I let it dry overnight.

Maybe it's dust, maybe it's power/torque...it definitely isn't user error. Squirt simply doesn't work under my riding conditions. The only other thing I can think of is that I need to use it for several weeks for the wax to fully penetrate between the pins and rollers.
    LOL I'm sure it's the power/torque thing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    LOL I'm sure it's the power/torque thing
    Mostly tongue-in-cheek, but then again people here like to claim they get 3000 miles on their Vittoria Corsa G+ rears, which I can only imagine happening on glass smooth roads at fairly low wattages.

There needs to be a better explanation to why Squirt somehow works great for some people, but pretty much not at all for others. Also nobody has any insight on why Overend would tell me that I shouldn't expect Squirt to last through a gran fondo or century--that I should carry a 15mL bottle with me and relube midride.

That is an admission by a high profile brand ambassador that Squirt won't last 100mi, and probably way less than that. Admittedly my mileage claim of 40mi always includes 4000-5000ft of climbing, so I guess I can see Squirt lasting significantly longer on a flatter ride--maybe 60mi. Then again most of the fun fondos around here are >100mi / >10000ft for the long routes and that's apparently lube-twice territory... Also lubing midride seems suboptimal since ideally you'd wait for the wax to dry before riding off again.
    Last edited by ceugene; 09-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I do a century ride just about every weekend on a wide variety of terrain. I never have any issues with a Squirt application (or a Molten Speed Wax hot bath) lasting a full ride.

The only time this would be a concern would be in wet conditions, which is the only real drawback I've found to using Squirt/MSW.

This summer I've done 100+ mile gravel fondos, road centuries with 8k feet of climbing, and flat centuries in a fast pace line, and not once have I noticed any degradation in the drive train when using Squirt/MSW.

I'm a big guy (6' 5" - 230lbs), and I put out quite a bit of power dragging my fat butt up hills. It doesn't seem to have any detrimental affect on the wax that I've noticed.

Maybe you got a bad batch?

Where is the noise coming from?

In dry conditions, I just can't imagine a gritty feeling with Squirt. The chain does not collect any dust/dirt/grime at all. Even on gravel rides, it doesn't get gritty for me. The only way I know it's time to re-apply, is there is just a little bit more noise coming from the drive train. It's very subtle mind you. I've been using it for 3+ years now, and have a good sense for when it's time to re-apply. It's hard to imagine where you would be getting any grit. NOT getting gritty is the main attraction to using a clean/dry wax like Squirt/MSW.

I have chains and cassettes that have 20k miles on them. They don't look new, but they don't show any signs of needing to be replaced either. A nice clean, dry drive train is why the wax appeals to me. No grit collecting in the chain lube to wear things out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I'll revisit it at some point since I still have a near full bottle, but my anecdotes are echoed by local friends, local shop mechanics and the various 1-star reviews on ecommerce sites. Not really confident there will be different results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    There needs to be a better explanation to why Squirt somehow works great for some people, but pretty much not at all for others. Also nobody has any insight on why Overend would tell me that I shouldn't expect Squirt to last through a gran fondo or century--that I should carry a 15mL bottle with me and relube midride.
    Based on all you've had to say here and other threads my guess is he was desperate to say anything he thought would get you to stop talking about chain lube to him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    If you heat up Squirt it will flow easily into the chain rollers. I think that's the problem. It doesn't penetrate well. Leave the bottle out in the sun or in hot water before using.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    If you heat up Squirt it will flow easily into the chain rollers. I think that's the problem. It doesn't penetrate well. Leave the bottle out in the sun or in hot water before using.
    This is a problem with wax lubes in general. In colder weather, they gel. That's one of a few reasons I'm so over using wax lubes.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Except you didn't even read my post carefully since the Squirt instructions are in my reply. I followed them about as well as you possibly could.

1) I degreased a brand new chain in an ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green Extreme Aircraft/Precision formula (to prevent hydrogen embrittlement)
    2) I wiped away the excess and transferred the chain to an old water bottle filled with distilled water. I shook it up, removed the chain and patted it down with rags.
    3) I let it dry overnight.
    4) I also fully cleaned/degreased my cassette and chainrings, and removed excess grease from the derailleur cages.
    5) After installing the bone dry chain, I dripped Squirt on each roller on the "inside" of the chain. I backpedaled a few more revolutions to let the still fluid wax penetrate the pins/rollers. I let it dry for a couple of hours.
    6) I then applied a second coat, a single drop per roller as instructed and let it dry overnight.

Upon getting the gritty noises at the 40mi mark the first time, I decided to try again, but with one change. I had seen a YouTube video of a guy massaging the Squirt into each roller assembly with his fingertips. I tried that too. No real change. Every time I applied new Squirt, I let it dry overnight.

Maybe it's dust, maybe it's power/torque...it definitely isn't user error. Squirt simply doesn't work under my riding conditions. The only other thing I can think of is that I need to use it for several weeks for the wax to fully penetrate between the pins and rollers.

Sounds like a lot of wasted time that could be spent riding your bike.

Here is a much better idea:

Chains
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    That process is way overkill. It literally takes me 3 minutes to wipe down the chain with some Wend Wax Off and re-apply one drop of squirt on the inside of each roller. I usually do this once a week on a friday evening or saturday morning so the bikes are all ready to go for the weekend.

This is what my chain looks like before I clean it - (it pretty much looks exactly the same as it does after I clean it)

That cassette hasn't been cleaned since I did my normal winter overhaul in November. That chain and cassette have nearly 20k miles on them.

[

When I'm not riding them, my bikes live inside my condo, and ride inside my mini-van. I like them to be clean and dry, and free of oil and gunk.
    Last edited by Migen21; 09-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I usually do this once a week on a friday evening or saturday morning so the bikes are all ready to go for the weekend.
    I used to use Chain-L, then tried Squirt and thought it was great because it looks clean. Fast forward 1 year, I'm going back to Chain-L. The frequency of Squirt application required outweighs the clean look it provides. Plus it does have residue build up. I can maintain the clean look with Chain-L by just wiping the chain after a few rides with a rag with a bit of WD-40 on. That turned out to be less work than using Squirt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I used to use Chain-L, then tried Squirt and thought it was great because it looks clean. Fast forward 1 year, I'm going back to Chain-L. The frequency of Squirt application required outweighs the clean look it provides. Plus it does have residue build up. I can maintain the clean look with Chain-L by just wiping the chain after a few rides with a rag with a bit of WD-40 on. That turned out to be less work than using Squirt.
    With Dumonde I've always just used a dry rag. No Wend Wax-Off, no WD40, no Bio-Bike, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That process is way overkill. It literally takes me 3 minutes to wipe down the chain with some Wend Wax Off and re-apply one drop of squirt on the inside of each roller. I usually do this once a week on a friday evening or saturday morning so the bikes are all ready to go for the weekend.
    Really once a week? You must either ride 300+ miles per week, be OCD or use a vastly inferior chain lube.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Really once a week? You must either ride 300+ miles per week, be OCD or use a vastly inferior chain lube.
    Or he rides in wet or dusty conditions.
    Or he has three min. to spare per week, just wants to and flexing miles per chain lube muscles the internet isn't important to him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    With Dumonde I've always just used a dry rag. No Wend Wax-Off, no WD40, no Bio-Bike, etc.
    I've tried that too a few years ago. It doesn't last as long as Chain-L. And no, I'm not affiliated with Chain-L in any way, shape or form.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I do ride 150-250 miles a week, but it's just a convenient time to do it, whether it needs it or not.

The results are easily worth the three minutes it takes out of my day to re-apply.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123