Thread: which cockpit?

RoadBikeReview Member

which cockpit?

Soon I'll be shopping for a new bike and will need to decide on the cockpit. My current bike (Jamis Xenith SL is with 3T cockpit)
    The new bike will most likely be a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 race black with "2013" SRAM Red and ZIPP 303 FC tubulars. It will be primarily my road race bike for all races but Kermesses (not sure about the crits yet). I am a decent racer with strength on the longer hilly suffering courses. 158 lbs. 5'10". Keeping the bike weight down is the goal but ergonomics and look are as as important. The budges is not unlimited too :-) Which of the following would people recommend or do not recommend:

Specialized S-Works originals
    3T (Ergonova, ARX, ...)
    ZIPP carbons
    Thx

Ya, what ATP said...!
    I went with the Ritchey Evolutions on my last build and really like the feel of them. Thinking of going Zipp on my next bike (in process) but also might get a second set of Evolutions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have a thompson stem on my tarmac with easton EC90slx bar and really love it. I have an FSA stem and compact bar on my steel bike and planning on upgrading with the 35mm Deda. I also prefer CF bars. To me, CF makes a difference after a long ride, and dampen the vibration nicely.
    I like the tops of my easton bar, the transition of the FSA bar, and the drop of the easton bar. I think the deda will provide the best of both.
    I like the idea of the 35mm diameter bar combined with thick tape and gel for a big profile. I'm not as concerned with added stiffness as I am with a bigger diameter to hold onto for more comfort.
    Another bar that I used for a couple weeks was the Bontrager bar. Great shape and feel. Its not hard to use a bar for a ride around a parking lot to figure out the features you like.

chamois creme addict
    For bars and stems I am a big believer in alloy, not carbon. Especially on a bike that is being raced. An alloy bar in a crash may be rideable. A carbon bar in a crash may LOOK rideable. Big difference, and I've seen the results of broken CF handlebars and it's not pretty

The Ritchey WCS stems and bars are good choices, so is 3T. But I'm sure the stock Specialized stuff is good and probably built in the same place as Ritchey.

Banned forever.....or not
    Don't call it a cockpit.....People who use that term are trendy hipsters.

There are no rules saying that you have to use the same brand bar and stem.
    I use a Ritchey Pro alloy stem because it was light, and I like the way it looked. I switched to a Bontrager bar because they had an alloy model that had 8mm more "reach" than my old Ritchey bar.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

the fist
    any bar with a traditional bend (for me, at least)
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ritchey all the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quality alloy stem, avoid carbon IMO as it's not any lighter and a bit of a pain to deal with. Four bolt faceplate is best, IMO. After that, most anything will do. The Ritchey 4-axis is a good benchmark,

Carbon bars in a shape/width/reach you like. FSA and Pro are my favorite shapes, you'll have to pick your own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I have 3T Team ARCX stem and Ergonova bars - love them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good stuff. Thx guys

Quit upgrading & ride!
    Deda Newton

or Deda Zero 100

Both lighter than carbon, both tougher than carbon, both cheaper than carbon

;)
    Put me back on my bike