RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Coda hubs help anyone?

I have a pair of wheels with Coda hubs (Cannondale's inhouse parts I believe). I need to adjust or replace the bearings in the front but the assembly is unlike any wheel I've worked on.
    Working from the outside there are large tight fitting dustcaps (like conical washer) that press into place against the hub.When I remove these there is a washer pressed into the hub - in the centre of this washer , around the axle is a rubber washer theat works as a seal. When I remove these I can see the bearings. Thats as far as i can go - there are no cones or adjusting nuts of any discription and i cannot remove the bearings as they appear to be behind a "Lip" on the axle.

My questions is Are these hub bearings designed to be adjustable or not?
    If not how do you remove the bearings to replace them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Coda

I believe these hubs are sealed, and thats what it sounds like from your description. If that is the case you will see bearing cartridges that are unadjustable, and can only be replaced. However, I am not sure if these are available any more you may be out of luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by comsense
    I have a pair of wheels with Coda hubs (Cannondale's inhouse parts I believe). I need to adjust or replace the bearings in the front but the assembly is unlike any wheel I've worked on.
    Working from the outside there are large tight fitting dustcaps (like conical washer) that press into place against the hub.When I remove these there is a washer pressed into the hub - in the centre of this washer , around the axle is a rubber washer theat works as a seal. When I remove these I can see the bearings. Thats as far as i can go - there are no cones or adjusting nuts of any discription and i cannot remove the bearings as they appear to be behind a "Lip" on the axle.

My questions is Are these hub bearings designed to be adjustable or not?
    If not how do you remove the bearings to replace them?
    Once upon a time there was rumour of a internet site that stated that some of the Coda hubs are DT made, some were made by Sachs and rest are something else... ;)
    I think I have the same hubs on my 2001 Cannondale, they are some sort of OEM / bastardized version of DT Onyx.
    You can change bearings after removing dust caps and tapping out axles (one bearing comes out with the axle, then do the other side) . Rear is not as easy you can remove non-driveside bearing easily, but removing freewheel requires long and large hex (12mm?) as it is connected inside the hub shell.
    Bearings are not adjustable but they can bind if you use too much force on the qr's, especially on the rear hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Thanks !

Thanks to both of you for replying - appreciate you taking the time.

Mark - I think you are right, as the wheels were originally from a 2001 Cannondale. I guessed that I might be able to tap out the axle (it is the front) but wasn't sure and didn't want to try in case I finished off the bearings. I'll follow your suggestion when I get home and see how I get on.

100% torqued
    Jun 2005
    I wouldn't worry about bearings being available. Every cartridge bearing has a 4 digit code tells what size it is. Even if it is not readable all you need is a caliper measurement of the o.d. and i.d. QBP stocks almost every size used recently on a bike. Get enduro max bearings when replacing if available. They have more bearings inside, last longer, and handle a greater load for just a few bucks more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    So, for the rear hub.... which side of the axle do I want to tap on to get the axle out? I got the dustcaps off but the axle seems to be in there pretty well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Allen key ?

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy
    So, for the rear hub.... which side of the axle do I want to tap on to get the axle out? I got the dustcaps off but the axle seems to be in there pretty well.
    Can't answer that directly as I only needed to work on the front - however if you read mark
    m's post he refers to using an allen key ..........?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I managed to get the dustcaps off and gave the drive side a whack on the floor when it wouldn't come initially. The axle and non-drive side bearings popped out. The allen key referred to (above) I think relates to getting the freehub body off, which is required to get the drive side bearings out. I've ordered new cartridge bearings, but I'm holding off on futzing with it further until they come in.

These wheels are getting my Conti Gatorskin tires and are going to be drug through the Minnesota slush and salt this coming winter/spring, so there's no rush for now.... a shame, but I do indeed have nicer wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Where in Minnesota?

Where are you in Minnesota? I live in Ireland and a friend I grew up with lives in Northfield now.
    He emigrated to the states in the '80's when he got a place on the Killian's Irish Red sponsored road race team. He is still on the bike regularly but doesn't race anymore.
    He was telling me about the Jesse James century and a few other rides over there.
    He rides a yellow Ribble now, I wouldn't think there are many of those around in Minnesota - I know its a huge area but if you run into him say hello.