Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...

14K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  cs1 
#1 ·
Hello, gents! I beg you to help the fat man to choose a compact. At 178 cm / 86 kg, and I had knee trauma when I was a kid, so I totally suck at climbing, I struggle to climb 8 % grades with my 39-53 setup and a 12-27 cassette.I never use the 12 and 13, so I was thinking of a 14-28 cassette ? Many peoples suggested finding a compact crankset, but I cannot find it...I do not want to spend too much money, so I`d like to keep my current BB and replace my original Chorus 39-53 / 170mm crankset for future use.I know it is 135 BCD, but I have trouble identifying what standart is it - it is not square tapered...Can you help me? I am based in EU, so I`ll hunt for EU-based sellers.Here is a crappy picture of the crankset mechanism :

View attachment 279602

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure that is a square-taper crank. Your picture is not really crappy, but it's shot from the wrong angle to provide the necessary information. All it shows is the head of the bolt that holds the crank on, which to me looks likes the ones used for the old square taper design. If you'll take a pic that shows the other side of the arm (next to the frame) with the bb spindle, and maybe the other crankarm from the same perspective, it will be clear.

I'm pretty sure 9-speed Chorus was gone before the introduction of the ultra-torque bb, so that would also suggest it's square taper.

Assuming it's a square-taper, I think Campy still makes some cranks in that style, the lower-end Xenon line, and they have a compact (110mm bcd), I think. That might be the most economical way to go, unless you can find something used.

#3 ·
It's square taper for sure. I sold several Centaur CT cranksets recently. OP needs to have someone remove the cranks and check spindle length. If it's 111mm, then Centaur and below will fit. Centaur 111mm BB's are still available retail. for the crankset eBay is your friend.

#4 · (Edited)
View attachment 279615 Thank you all for answering me! I took an 8mm tool and I had to rotate counter-clockwise to remove the bolt.LBS mechanic is incredibly lazy and unhelpful, if you do not use Shimano that he stocks - money, money, money...If it is square tapered, maybe I can use the FSA VERO Compact, but many reviews suggest it is crappy and factory-bent, and does not last more than 2 years.According to the 1998 Chorus pdf specifications, spindle lenght is 102mm.Here are some pictures...

View attachment 279613 View attachment 279614

#5 ·
OP the problem is (I believe) that the only square taper Campy compact cranks (in alloy) made require a 111mm spindle BB. Briefly there were CT Carbon (Record and Chorus) square taper cranks available, but they will probably be expensive and not match the rest of your bike.

Here's the BB you need to stay square taper Campagnolo Centaur Double Bottom Bracket - 111mm ISO Taper: Total Cycling

And as I said before, you are going to have to look around for the crank - Centaur or below.

Alternative is just to replace the whole lot with a modern 10-speed crankset and BB like Veloce Campagnolo Veloce Silver Power Torque 10Spd Chainset, Chainsets, CHAINSETS ROAD that require BB cups like these: Campagnolo Power Torque Outboard Cups (EPS Compatible), Bottom Brackets, BOTTOM BRACKETS

#6 ·
Yet another option...

Thanks! This would cost me a fortune, and HTFU should be easier.I had bought a used FSA Gossamer Compact crankset with no BB and no bolts, although many users complain it is not stable and unscrews rather easily.My old DE ROSA Planet frame uses ITA thread, and FSA website suggests I need 70mm M36x24T, if I am not mistaking.Could you help me find what I need? Here are some photos...

View attachment 279626 View attachment 279627 View attachment 279628

Would this one fit, or is it too long at 118mm? FSA Platinum Pro Titanium ISIS 70mm Ital Bottom Bracket | eBay

#7 ·
With ISIS you need 108mm spindle for a road bike. Your example is MTB.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Either of those should work. Bolts are included on the Omni. Normally bolts should be included but the NN is silent on that.

You or your shop will need the Campy tool to remove their BB and an ISIS tool to install the new one.

Funny how a system that was so prevalent only about 6 years ago has gone almost extinct.

#11 ·
Hello, gents! I beg you to help the fat man to choose a compact. At 178 cm / 86 kg, and I had knee trauma when I was a kid, so I totally suck at climbing, I struggle to climb 8 % grades with my 39-53 setup and a 12-27 cassette.I never use the 12 and 13, so I was thinking of a 14-28 cassette
Complete waste of time to add one tooth to the cassette largest cog, though getting rid of the 12 and maybe the 13 would give you closer spaced gears on the cassette and that would be useful. At a climbing cadence of 70 rpm, a 28 vs a 27 would increase your cadence by less than 3 rpm. You likely would not notice the difference. A compact or a triple is the answer - look for used cranks and accompanying BBs on the Internet.

#12 ·
Is this true that ISIS bottom brackets last only a season or two? The eBay seller also stocks TI and ceramic ones, but I do not know what to do.Aren`t those bearings replaceable?

#13 ·
Forget Ti and ceramic, they won't last any longer.

The bearings are not normally replaceable, but then nothing's impossible.

In my experience, they didn't stand up too well to water/grit and I had a couple of NDS bearing failures. But if you want to use the crankset that you have, then there's no alternative but an ISIS BB is there?

#17 ·
Or I can sell my complete 2 x 9 Chorus Setup and buy Campagnolo Athena Compact 11s on sale for 450 € ? 50/34+ 12-25 sounds acceptable...

#21 ·
Listen to Julio. Athena is 11 speed. It will work but why pay for that when Veloce will do exactly the same for you at half the price. And in stock at Ribble.

#19 ·
#20 ·
#23 ·
Ribble is out of the question - first, the 170mm compact is out of stock, and most important - they do not ship to all European countries.

#25 ·
Why are you insisting on 170mm?? You are above average height - only about 6cm shorter than me. I use 175 to 180 cranks with great delight. It would not kill you to try a 172.5mm crank or a 175 even. You also want help on the hills. What is better (other than more strength and less weight), than more torque? which you will generate with a longer crank.

You ask for help, then object to every suggestion.

#28 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, I use the 1998 clamp-on Chorus FD, that has a capacity of 15 teeth, and 50-34=16 teeth difference.Is there any way to get away with it? I am on a strict budget and acting like a cheap @$$ If I opt for the Omni ISIS BB with bolts, this sounds acceptable.

#29 ·
Gentlemen, I use the 1998 clamp-on Chorus FD, that has a capacity of 15 teeth, and 50-35=16 teeth difference.Is there any way to get away with it? I am on a strict budget and acting like a cheap @$$ If I opt for the Omni ISIS BB with bolts, this sounds acceptable.
Is that some kind of new math? In my world 50-35 = 15, not 16 :)

Anyhow you can always push these ranges and you never know how well it will work until you try it. A one tooth difference on the FD shift is not the end of the world.

#30 ·
Thank you all for helping me! I have scored an incredible deal on an incredible webiste, that will be my favorite from now on.Planet X bikes offers free EU delivery for orders above 60 GBP, and I have scored this baby on sale - it did fit my 70 x 102 mm BB just fine, and it weights a total of 596 gramms.Just look at the price I payed for this...I opted for the 172.5mm version, as some folks told me it would help me with climbs.Not to mention their ultra-high quality winter gloves, I took a dozen of them for me and some friends, as well as some 9-speed chains for 5-10 years to come.

PZ Racing CR3.1 Carbon Compact Chainset

P.S Now I will use my Wipperman Connex 908 chain until death, just to see what happens.It has 3000 km since it streched to 0.75 and I do not notice any difference in shifting.ShimaNO cassettes are known to be of pathetic quality and wear out soon, if you do not replace the chain often.I have always doubled the mileage of my chains, when they reach 0.75 wear, since 9 speed cassettes are darn cheap, and I will replace my 12-27 with a 13-28, just to have the maximum for climbs, and maybe later I will replace my 34T with a 33T 110BCD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.