Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...

Hello, gents! I beg you to help the fat man to choose a compact. At 178 cm / 86 kg, and I had knee trauma when I was a kid, so I totally suck at climbing, I struggle to climb 8 % grades with my 39-53 setup and a 12-27 cassette.I never use the 12 and 13, so I was thinking of a 14-28 cassette ? Many peoples suggested finding a compact crankset, but I cannot find it...I do not want to spend too much money, so I`d like to keep my current BB and replace my original Chorus 39-53 / 170mm crankset for future use.I know it is 135 BCD, but I have trouble identifying what standart is it - it is not square tapered...Can you help me? I am based in EU, so I`ll hunt for EU-based sellers.Here is a crappy picture of the crankset mechanism :

Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-campagnolo.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty sure that is a square-taper crank. Your picture is not really crappy, but it's shot from the wrong angle to provide the necessary information. All it shows is the head of the bolt that holds the crank on, which to me looks likes the ones used for the old square taper design. If you'll take a pic that shows the other side of the arm (next to the frame) with the bb spindle, and maybe the other crankarm from the same perspective, it will be clear.

I'm pretty sure 9-speed Chorus was gone before the introduction of the ultra-torque bb, so that would also suggest it's square taper.

Assuming it's a square-taper, I think Campy still makes some cranks in that style, the lower-end Xenon line, and they have a compact (110mm bcd), I think. That might be the most economical way to go, unless you can find something used.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's square taper for sure. I sold several Centaur CT cranksets recently. OP needs to have someone remove the cranks and check spindle length. If it's 111mm, then Centaur and below will fit. Centaur 111mm BB's are still available retail. for the crankset eBay is your friend.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9744.jpgThank you all for answering me! I took an 8mm tool and I had to rotate counter-clockwise to remove the bolt.LBS mechanic is incredibly lazy and unhelpful, if you do not use Shimano that he stocks - money, money, money...If it is square tapered, maybe I can use the FSA VERO Compact, but many reviews suggest it is crappy and factory-bent, and does not last more than 2 years.According to the 1998 Chorus pdf specifications, spindle lenght is 102mm.Here are some pictures...

Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9742.jpgCompact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9745.jpg
    Last edited by Fixt00l; 04-24-2013 at 09:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP the problem is (I believe) that the only square taper Campy compact cranks (in alloy) made require a 111mm spindle BB. Briefly there were CT Carbon (Record and Chorus) square taper cranks available, but they will probably be expensive and not match the rest of your bike.

Here's the BB you need to stay square taper Campagnolo Centaur Double Bottom Bracket - 111mm ISO Taper: Total Cycling

And as I said before, you are going to have to look around for the crank - Centaur or below.

Alternative is just to replace the whole lot with a modern 10-speed crankset and BB like Veloce Campagnolo Veloce Silver Power Torque 10Spd Chainset, Chainsets, CHAINSETS ROAD that require BB cups like these: Campagnolo Power Torque Outboard Cups (EPS Compatible), Bottom Brackets, BOTTOM BRACKETS

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Yet another option...

Thanks! This would cost me a fortune, and HTFU should be easier.I had bought a used FSA Gossamer Compact crankset with no BB and no bolts, although many users complain it is not stable and unscrews rather easily.My old DE ROSA Planet frame uses ITA thread, and FSA website suggests I need 70mm M36x24T, if I am not mistaking.Could you help me find what I need? Here are some photos...

Compact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9730b.jpgCompact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9731b.jpgCompact crankset for classic Campagnolo Chorus 2 x 9 setup? I cannot identify mine...-dscf9736b.jpg

Would this one fit, or is it too long at 118mm? FSA Platinum Pro Titanium ISIS 70mm Ital Bottom Bracket | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    With ISIS you need 108mm spindle for a road bike. Your example is MTB.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Maybe this one, as it is ITA threaded? I am concerned about its longevity, since I have no idea if a no-brand BB is reliable.Does any of those BB include the bolts?

No Brand Isis Bottom Bracket BB 70 108mm 193G | eBay

Omni Racer Worlds Lighest Chromoly Steel Isis Bottom Bracket 70x108mm Italian | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Either of those should work. Bolts are included on the Omni. Normally bolts should be included but the NN is silent on that.

You or your shop will need the Campy tool to remove their BB and an ISIS tool to install the new one.

Funny how a system that was so prevalent only about 6 years ago has gone almost extinct.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's another ISIS choice. Rather spendy though.

Compass Bicycles: Bottom Brackets

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixt00l View Post
    Hello, gents! I beg you to help the fat man to choose a compact. At 178 cm / 86 kg, and I had knee trauma when I was a kid, so I totally suck at climbing, I struggle to climb 8 % grades with my 39-53 setup and a 12-27 cassette.I never use the 12 and 13, so I was thinking of a 14-28 cassette
    Complete waste of time to add one tooth to the cassette largest cog, though getting rid of the 12 and maybe the 13 would give you closer spaced gears on the cassette and that would be useful. At a climbing cadence of 70 rpm, a 28 vs a 27 would increase your cadence by less than 3 rpm. You likely would not notice the difference. A compact or a triple is the answer - look for used cranks and accompanying BBs on the Internet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Is this true that ISIS bottom brackets last only a season or two? The eBay seller also stocks TI and ceramic ones, but I do not know what to do.Aren`t those bearings replaceable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is this true that ISIS bottom brackets last only a season or two? The eBay seller also stocks TI and ceramic ones, but I do not know what to do.Aren`t those bearings replaceable?
    Forget Ti and ceramic, they won't last any longer.

The bearings are not normally replaceable, but then nothing's impossible.

In my experience, they didn't stand up too well to water/grit and I had a couple of NDS bearing failures. But if you want to use the crankset that you have, then there's no alternative but an ISIS BB is there?

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're worried about longevity look at those SKF bottom brackets offered by Compass that I linked to above. Like I said they're pricey but they're warrented for 10yrs.

I have no experience with them but they may be worth a look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If you're worried about longevity look at those SKF bottom brackets offered by Compass that I linked to above. Like I said they're pricey but they're warrented for 10yrs.

I have no experience with them but they may be worth a look.
    Interesting, but for that price OP could almost buy a compete new Veloce crankset and BB. And that's not counting the tool cost assuming that some LBS has the tool that SKF requires.

OP, where I come from we have the expression "flogging a dead horse". You want both cheap and durable - when it comes to ISIS BB's pick one. And you want to swap an old system for an obsolete one.

You could also consider this for $68 Stronglight Impact JIS Compact Chainset Road, Chainsets, CHAINSETS ROAD

This is a JIS taper, so probably won't work on a 102mm ISO spindle, Square Taper Bottom Bracket Interchangeability but the correct BB should be cheap as this type is still current.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 04-25-2013 at 12:21 PM.

One.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Interesting, but for that price OP could almost buy a compete new Veloce crankset and BB. And that's not counting the tool cost assuming that some LBS has the tool that SKF requires.

OP, where I come from we have the expression "flogging a dead horse". You want both cheap and durable - pick one. And you want to swap an old system for an obsolete one.

You could also consider this for $68 Stronglight Impact JIS Compact Chainset Road, Chainsets, CHAINSETS ROAD

This is a JIS taper, so probably won't work on a 102mm ISO spindle, Square Taper Bottom Bracket Interchangeability but the correct BB should be cheap as this type is still current.
    I've been looking at that for a while now. It looks to be a Sugino crank. Have you tried it out?
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Or I can sell my complete 2 x 9 Chorus Setup and buy Campagnolo Athena Compact 11s on sale for 450 ? 50/34+ 12-25 sounds acceptable...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    I've been looking at that for a while now. It looks to be a Sugino crank. Have you tried it out?
    No. I was just trying to help the OP and saw this on Ribble's site. Looked like a good alternative to get him a budget compact crank.

He's got the added problem of needing an Italian threaded BB.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 04-25-2013 at 12:36 PM.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    It looks a good idea, looking at this auction, but the savings are not much at this asking price...My De Rosa frame requires Italian thread, so what BB do I need? It should be compatible with older Shimano BB, but what size ?

Stronglight Impact Compact Crankset Pedalier 170 34 48 Bottom Bracket Eng | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not recommending at this price for shipping but there is such a thing as the BB you need. Might be easier to find in Europe where Italian threading might be more common. You need a JIS square taper 107mm spindle Shimano BB-UN55 70 x 107mm Square Taper JIS Italian Bottom Bracket | eBay

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or I can sell my complete 2 x 9 Chorus Setup and buy Campagnolo Athena Compact 11s on sale for 450 ? 50/34+ 12-25 sounds acceptable...
    Listen to Julio. Athena is 11 speed. It will work but why pay for that when Veloce will do exactly the same for you at half the price. And in stock at Ribble.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano R4550 compact cranks can be had cheaply, and will work fine with 9s Campy. They do require external BB cups, but those are cheap, too.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Ribble is out of the question - first, the 170mm compact is out of stock, and most important - they do not ship to all European countries.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ribble is out of the question - first, the 170mm compact is out of stock, and most important - they do not ship to all European countries.
    Why are you insisting on 170mm?? You are above average height - only about 6cm shorter than me. I use 175 to 180 cranks with great delight. It would not kill you to try a 172.5mm crank or a 175 even. You also want help on the hills. What is better (other than more strength and less weight), than more torque? which you will generate with a longer crank.

You ask for help, then object to every suggestion.

One.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast