Thread: compatibility

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012

compatibility

I bought an older Trek 1000 for my teenage son to start riding with me. It came with an old Sora 3x8 drive train. The rear 8 speed shifter was no good so I shopped around on Ebay until I found some replacement shifters and settled on some Tiagra 3x10's. I swapped out the rear cassette to a 10 speed and replaced the chain with 10 speed. figured everything would work just fine. I am having trouble getting the from triple crank and derailluer to tune properly. Do I need to change the front der also or am I missing something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Fried Legs and Achin'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your "new" shifters should be compatible with your old derailleurs. Shimano's road shift ratios are the same for 8, 9 and 10 speed series. You said your old rear shifter was NG, so you don't really know if there weren't other shifting issues. Did the old front shifter work OK before?

When you say you are having trouble getting things to tune properly, it would help if you would be more specific. Does it have trouble shifting up or down?

Also, since this is a used bike, do yourself a favor and get a brand new set of stainless steel shifter cables (not the cheap galvanized ones). Older cables, especially the cheap galvanized ones, oxidize and become rough causing poor shifting. Changing your housings that your cables slip through is a good idea too. Over time, the cables wear away that nice slippery coating inside your housings, making them rough and causing friction. And friction means......poor shifting. You should be able to find this stuff at your local bike shop.

Good luck!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    Sorry for not being more specific. I replace both shifters so they would match and ran new cables. I did not replace the housing as the cables still slid through the housing smoothly. The front DER will not adjust to shift on all three chain rings. It will shift to the big ring and the middle ring but will not drop down to the little ring and I opened the limiters all the way to give extra room for everything to move. I am going to replace the housing but I called my local bike shop and he said the problem is with the inside spacing of the front DER. It is wider than a 10 speed so it is not moving the chain far enough. Do I need to buy another front DER?
    Fried Legs and Achin'

Russian Troll Farmer
    You probably just need to adjust the limit screws (and possibly tighten the cable).
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's news to me about the front derailleur. I didn't think the spacing was any different on the FD. It is possible that I'm wrong about that. Did you loosen the front cable ans see if you can get the chain to go to the smallest ring?

The good news is that front derailleurs are cheap.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You probably just need to adjust the limit screws (and possibly tighten the cable).
    He already adjusted the limits out all the way. How do you figure TIGHTENING the cable will help? He's not getting into the SAMLL ring.

-- Warren Buffett

Crash Test Dummy
    Aug 2012
    I did loosen the front cable and it will go all the way to the smallest ring. I have even tried starting with the shifter on the bottom gear and the der adjusted to bottom ring but then it wont shift to the big ring. I am thinking I just need to take it to the shop!
    Fried Legs and Achin'