banned

Compatibility Q. CK headset and FSA Orbit X crown race

Like the title said, I was wondering If I can use the FSA OrbitX crown race with CK Nothreadset. I don't have the race puller and I have FSA crown race installed on the fork that I want to use with CK headset. My frame is coming this week and I have to travel very far to get this done.

Does anyone know?

n00bsauce
    I don't know if you can use the FSA crown race with the CK headset (my guess would be doubtful) but it's really easy to remove and install the proper crown race. The hardest part is seating the new race but that's pretty easy with a pipe that is just large enough to slip over the steerer tube. Removing the race doesn't take any special tools, just a thin bladed tool (screwdriver, putty knife, etc.), a hammer and some patience. Take the thin blade and start tapping between the bottom of the race and the fork all around the fork. Take your time until you free up the race and it will slip off. Slip on the new race and line it up as level as you can, slip the pipe over the steerer until it butts against the race and then tap the top of the pipe with the hammer until it's seated properly. This is a very easy job. Whole job shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

BTW, who's going to do the headset installation? If you can do this you can certainly install the crown race. If the shop is going to do it then just take in the fork and let them install the crown race too. It's really all part of the headset installation and shouldn't cost any more.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

banned

Thank you....

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    I don't know if you can use the FSA crown race with the CK headset (my guess would be doubtful) but it's really easy to remove and install the proper crown race. The hardest part is seating the new race but that's pretty easy with a pipe that is just large enough to slip over the steerer tube. Removing the race doesn't take any special tools, just a thin bladed tool (screwdriver, putty knife, etc.), a hammer and some patience. Take the thin blade and start tapping between the bottom of the race and the fork all around the fork. Take your time until you free up the race and it will slip off. Slip on the new race and line it up as level as you can, slip the pipe over the steerer until it butts against the race and then tap the top of the pipe with the hammer until it's seated properly. This is a very easy job. Whole job shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

BTW, who's going to do the headset installation? If you can do this you can certainly install the crown race. If the shop is going to do it then just take in the fork and let them install the crown race too. It's really all part of the headset installation and shouldn't cost any more.
    I think Lynskey installed the cups before they ship(I hope). I can do everything myself but I haven't done any crown race removal though. I always thought that you really need the right tools for the job. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Alternative tools

Quote Originally Posted by linus
    I think Lynskey installed the cups before they ship(I hope). I can do everything myself but I haven't done any crown race removal though. I always thought that you really need the right tools for the job. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again
    If the crown race projects any significant distance past the crown race seat, it usually is quite easy to remove with just a large flat blade screwdriver and a few light taps of the hammer (obviously alternating sides so it doesn't wedge). I've done it many times on many different forks and head sets.