RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Compression nut?

So today I went to adjust the spacers on my carbon steerer fork and when I pulled the top cover the compression nut fell to the bottom of the fork.

How do I get it back inplace to screw the nut back into the compression plug?

RoadBikeReview Member
    probally just flip the bike and if you have to find something small and thin to slide into the for from the bottom if there is a hole there. Other wise flip upside down and see if it will slide out.

Then to reinstall, just thread it back onto the bottom of the bolt and slide it in and snug it up. Should be easy to fix.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    probally just flip the bike and if you have to find something small and thin to slide into the for from the bottom if there is a hole there. Other wise flip upside down and see if it will slide out.

Then to reinstall, just thread it back onto the bottom of the bolt and slide it in and snug it up. Should be easy to fix.

Bill

That's exactly what I would have thought too. Unfortunately there is no hole at the bottom and the nut won't come out as there is some kind of sleeve inside the steerer tub and I was't sure how to remove it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Goto home depot and get a really long bolt that matches the size of the stemcap screw. Thread it onto the compression plug no a little and pull it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davegregoire View Post
    Goto home depot and get a really long bolt that matches the size of the stemcap screw. Thread it onto the compression plug no a little and pull it out.
    I was thinking of doing this exact thing. My concern is that the bolt has flipped inside the steerer and I may damage the carbon if I tighten it facing the wrong direction. I could see that bothe sides are not the same with a flashlight. I think I am just going to take it to the local bike shop and have them remove it and put in a new one.