RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Computrainer vs Realaxiom vs other trainers

I know there has been a lot of questions and answers on this topic recently and I have read them all, searched the archives etc but I still have questions.

I presently use a 1upusa trainer and although generally happy with it, I am looking for another solution. (My major beef with it is the tire keeps slipping on hard accelerations such as sprint training on the trainer).

I am seriously considering purchasing a Computrainer after having used one for some fitness testing. The trainer was incredibly smooth compared to my trainer, had power output and generally I was very impressed. They didn't hook up the PC portion of the trainer as it wasn't needed for the testing so I can't comment on that. I have seen advertising for Elite Trainers Realaxiom model which appears to be the same concept. Performance Bike even offers their own model (its Elites just re-branded Performance) for sale as well.

Now, I don't want to say money is not an issue because it always is, but I have no problems spending the $1,200US on the Computrainer if I believe it will do the job I expect and be a reliable trainer. The one I was using for the fitness testing was over 5 years old and it still worked perfectly well and the owner of it told me he had no problems with it since he's had it. I have looked at even the more expensive ones like the Velodynes etc but that is starting to get out of the realistic price range.

So, I am looking for owners of Computrainers or Elite Realaxioms or other such computer electromagnetic trainers to give me their thoughts. Are they really worth spending the extra dollars on? Are you using the computer aspect of the training? Is it all gimmick?

Thanks for your time everyone.
    power1369

50ft. Queenie
    i dont have any, but have used the computrainter for testing and was impressed...
    i was kinda planning on buying one...but started thinking, that i could buy a PowerTap & a cheap trainer for the same price.

hmm....then i could use the power tap all year long.

dunno, i actually dont have the money for either.... but i think i would choose the power tap, less expensive trainer..and some good dvds.

food for thought.

although the comptuer part of hte comptutrainer looks pretty darn cool...but no room in my bedroom for the bed, computer, bike & me.

fixated

Ct

Quote Originally Posted by power1369
    I know there has been a lot of questions and answers on this topic recently and I have read them all, searched the archives etc but I still have questions.

I presently use a 1upusa trainer and although generally happy with it, I am looking for another solution. (My major beef with it is the tire keeps slipping on hard accelerations such as sprint training on the trainer).

I am seriously considering purchasing a Computrainer after having used one for some fitness testing. The trainer was incredibly smooth compared to my trainer, had power output and generally I was very impressed. They didn't hook up the PC portion of the trainer as it wasn't needed for the testing so I can't comment on that. I have seen advertising for Elite Trainers Realaxiom model which appears to be the same concept. Performance Bike even offers their own model (its Elites just re-branded Performance) for sale as well.

Now, I don't want to say money is not an issue because it always is, but I have no problems spending the $1,200US on the Computrainer if I believe it will do the job I expect and be a reliable trainer. The one I was using for the fitness testing was over 5 years old and it still worked perfectly well and the owner of it told me he had no problems with it since he's had it. I have looked at even the more expensive ones like the Velodynes etc but that is starting to get out of the realistic price range.

So, I am looking for owners of Computrainers or Elite Realaxioms or other such computer electromagnetic trainers to give me their thoughts. Are they really worth spending the extra dollars on? Are you using the computer aspect of the training? Is it all gimmick?

Thanks for your time everyone.
    power1369
    I've had a CT for about 3 years. I like it, at least as far as trainers go. It can take some trial and error to get the tire slip/pressure dialed in, and it's somewhat hard to keep it consistent; if you dial in too much roller pressure against the tire, you get good traction, but it throws off the wattage measurement; the calibration feature doesn't work very well, either.

The CT can slip at low speeds and high torque -- as in climbing out of the saddle on steep grades. It gets pretty unsmooth, then, too. But, this is an extreme.

The video of the CT I like, as it makes riding indoors much more tolerable. I like designing courses. I especially like the drafting a robot feature -- you can set it up to simulate another rider at a given wattage, then fairly realistic drafting works to lower your power needed the closer you are to the other rider; it works sort of like motorpacing.

If you are going to ride indoors a lot, the CT is great. I wouldn't get one just for an occasional indoor interval session or so; I got mine when we had our first child, thinking I could do more workouts home while watching the kid; a little naive, as kids can need more attention than you can give them while riding a trainer, and you must build a fence around the thing to keep little fingers from where they shouldn't be.