Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is this a Connex 10S1 link?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dead flag blues 
#1 ·
I ordered a bunch of these from Performance Bike.. The pics online show a link with '10S1' stamped on them. The links that arrived have '10 speed' stamped on them..

Is this link a 10S1?

#3 ·
Thanks Dinosaur. I'm kinda guessing it's ok to use this on my 10speed Campy stuff, but you're right in that I should run it by C-40 first..

I put one of these links on my cross bike, and haven't had any issues with it this season.

Dinosaur said:
I think that is the Campy compatible link for 6.1mm chains. I have a bunch of them with '10 speed' stamped on them.

C40 is the chain expert around here...

#4 ·
Not 10S1 link

C40 will post with measurements of width of inner and outer links and pin lengths, but that link in the pic is not the 10S1 link that was optimal for connecting a 10spd Campy UN or SRAM 10spd chain.

For 2008, Wippermann decided to go with one line of 10spd chains that has the same dimensions across the board. The differences are in construction: stainless, nickel-plated, and regular steel. This chain is something like 6.05 mm in its outer width so they call it both Campy and Shimano compatible. But the width of the inner plates is actually slightly wider than the 2006-2007 Shimano-specific 10S1. I am making a mess of this without having the numbers, but the end of the story is that the connectors now sold are wider than the older 10S1. They WILL work with a Campy UN chain but there is more side-plate clearance at the link than is necessary. The link marked "10 speed" that you have does work well for connecting Shimano 10spd chains.

FWIW, I bought some Wippermann links from Excel this spring that were in the online catalog as 10S1, but when I received them they were marked "10 speed". The packaging from Wippermann had changed as well, they no longer sell two versions of the links. Before there used to a "6.2" version that had "10 speed" stamped on it, and a "6.05" version that had 10S1 stamped on it.

#5 ·
Thanks Eric,
I'll be using these guys (potentially) on 10 speed Campy systems. I've used Super Links in the past, and would consider a Forster or anything else.
Thus far, my cross bike has been ok with one of these links on it. If shifting gets noisier, rougher, etc... on my road bikes, these things will probably be returned to Performance.
Tim

Eric_H said:
C40 will post with measurements of width of inner and outer links and pin lengths, but that link in the pic is not the 10S1 link that was optimal for connecting a 10spd Campy UN or SRAM 10spd chain.

For 2008, Wippermann decided to go with one line of 10spd chains that has the same dimensions across the board. The differences are in construction: stainless, nickel-plated, and regular steel. This chain is something like 6.05 mm in its outer width so they call it both Campy and Shimano compatible. But the width of the inner plates is actually slightly wider than the 2006-2007 Shimano-specific 10S1. I am making a mess of this without having the numbers, but the end of the story is that the connectors now sold are wider than the older 10S1. They WILL work with a Campy UN chain but there is more side-plate clearance at the link than is necessary. The link marked "10 speed" that you have does work well for connecting Shimano 10spd chains.

FWIW, I bought some Wippermann links from Excel this spring that were in the online catalog as 10S1, but when I received them they were marked "10 speed". The packaging from Wippermann had changed as well, they no longer sell two versions of the links. Before there used to a "6.2" version that had "10 speed" stamped on it, and a "6.05" version that had 10S1 stamped on it.

#6 ·
SRAM Powerlock works well

If you don't mind "on-the-bike" chain cleaning, the SRAM 10spd Powerlock works perfectly with Campy UN. I just started using it in the past 2 weeks. The installation is dead simple, the only drawback is the link is theoretically not removeable though some say with needle-nose pliers it can be removed and re-installed.

I don't mind using the SRAM connector and cleaning on the bike. For me, I am trying to avoid using the Campy HD-L connecting pin to join the chain. You could use the Connex links you have with a Shimano 10spd chain and the fit is better, and the Shimano chain works fine on Campy drivetrain. The only drawback is that the Shimano chains don't have as good of a life expectancy.

#8 · (Edited)
Well this is the suck... I have these same "10 speed" links but the box is clearly labeled as Pair 10 spd - Campag. No doubt though they are 6.2mm and too wide even on the inside. The Wippermann site is HORRIBLE, no pictures or specs of any kind, and mind you I can actually read German. FYI the UPC code is the same so it is the identical link.

#10 ·
dbassi said:
On the package label, in the pic, you can read "10SPD SHI CNCT"
As others have said this is NOT the problem:

And it isn't a package mistake... I have 3 of them :mad:

#12 ·
I hated the Sram master link... I wound up grinding the lock-in tabs to make it easier to take apart. Although I doubt it weakens the link I'm certainly no fan of doing that.

#13 ·
SRAM 10spd not removeable

The SRAM 10spd Powerlock is not intended to be removed (according to SRAM). I believe Park Tool has a set of master link pliers (MLP-1) that will help to remove the Powerlock, but doing so is going to remove material from the connector links and make them less secure. I am using the Powerlock with Campy UN but I do not remove the chain for cleaning. If I had to remove it I would press out at another location and use another Powerlock to re-install.

#14 ·
Thanks, Eric.
What I'm looking for is a removable master link, whereby I could keep 3 chains in rotation. At the moment, I'm going through cassettes and chainrings pretty quickly.

Maybe I'll go back to the Forster link...

Eric_H said:
The SRAM 10spd Powerlock is not intended to be removed (according to SRAM). I believe Park Tool has a set of master link pliers (MLP-1) that will help to remove the Powerlock, but doing so is going to remove material from the connector links and make them less secure. I am using the Powerlock with Campy UN but I do not remove the chain for cleaning. If I had to remove it I would press out at another location and use another Powerlock to re-install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.