RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Withdrawn

Withdrawn
    Last edited by Tom54; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:48 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride exclusively on Contis. One easy way I found is to look at the tread pattern, it should "point" at the direction of rotation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I ride exclusively on Contis. One easy way I found is to look at the tread pattern, it should "point" at the direction of rotation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Bingo - The tread lines should point "down" on when the bike is on the ground.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It never mattered and still does't.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It doesn't matter. But if you want to follow Conti's recommendation, the Shark Fin goes forward in the direction the shark would swim. Easier than finding the tiny arrow.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom54 View Post
    It's always been hard for me to find the rotation directional arrow on a Conti GP 4000S II. Putting on a new tire today, I was unable to find any arrow. Are the Conti GP 4000S II tires no longer uni-directional?

(And did it ever matter which way you mounted them even when the arrow could be found? I could never see anything in the tread that indicated the rotational direction mattered.)
    The only reason these tires had directional arrows was because Conti was sick to death of people asking which way was "right" so they put an arrow on them to shut that down. Jay Strongbow's answer hit's the nail on the head: it never mattered and it still doesn't.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It doesn't matter. But if you want to follow Conti's recommendation, the Shark Fin goes forward in the direction the shark would swim. Easier than finding the tiny arrow.

This...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The only reason these tires had directional arrows was because Conti was sick to death of people asking which way was "right" so they put an arrow on them to shut that down. Jay Strongbow's answer hit's the nail on the head: it never mattered and it still doesn't.
    And this...

and I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about there being a 'wheels & tires' section.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I guess I find it hard to believe that Conti would put a directional pattern on the tire and include a directional arrow for no reason. Just can't see them being so arbitrary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    apparently, my front tire was mounted incorrectly according to the directional arrow...

it currently has 12,500 miles on it and the tread indicators are still plainly visible.

maybe it matters more on a rear wheel, dunno...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I guess I find it hard to believe that Conti would put a directional pattern on the tire and include a directional arrow for no reason. Just can't see them being so arbitrary.
    Did you not read the comments in the rest of the thread?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's 1000% arbitrary. Tire companies put them there to make you feel good. And guess what.... that tread on your tire... 1000% arbitrary!

Schwalbe had switched to a slick tread. Then switched back to treads simply because customers are ignorant and they got tired of explaining over and over.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/uncatego...-one-tubeless/
    The tire has a new tread pattern in place of the previously slick One. As we have heard from many tire manufacturers tread adds zero performance. It does not increase grip, does not channel water, in short it is simply for rider peace of mind. Schwalbe got tired of explaining to pros and amateurs alike that a slick tire created as much, if not more, traction in all situations so they added some purely cosmetic tread.

http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/...on-cycle-tyres
    Yes you read that correctly. 90%+ of the tyres sold to us cycle tourists have utterly useless and counterproductive tread moulded into them.

So why do 90% of bike tyres still have tread?
    Marketing... It's a simple answer and the only explanation. 100 years ago bike tyres were slick, but to distinguish between makes manufacturers began adding light tread as their 'signature'. By manipulating the ignorance of the public they could make the buyer thing 'wow! Look at the tread on that tyre must be really grippy!' That this madness extends to even the thinnest of race tyres says a lot...

It also gives a manufacturer an easy way of making a whole range of tyres all aimed at different markets and price points by the simple expedient of using the same carcass and a bucketful of moulds of different patterns.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Uh...yes. And while I respect the *opinions* of others, I see nothing factual from the manufacturer that explains why the tires have directional arrows. And not all makers have arrows, in fact, very few.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

Understood, but...

It's 1000% arbitrary. Tire companies put them there to make you feel good. And guess what.... that tread on your tire... 1000% arbitrary!

Schwalbe had switched to a slick tread. Then switched back to treads simply because customers are ignorant and they got tired of explaining over and over.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/uncatego...-one-tubeless/
    The tire has a new tread pattern in place of the previously slick One. As we have heard from many tire manufacturers tread adds zero performance. It does not increase grip, does not channel water, in short it is simply for rider peace of mind. Schwalbe got tired of explaining to pros and amateurs alike that a slick tire created as much, if not more, traction in all situations so they added some purely cosmetic tread.

http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/...on-cycle-tyres
    Yes you read that correctly. 90%+ of the tyres sold to us cycle tourists have utterly useless and counterproductive tread moulded into them.

So why do 90% of bike tyres still have tread?
    Marketing... It's a simple answer and the only explanation. 100 years ago bike tyres were slick, but to distinguish between makes manufacturers began adding light tread as their 'signature'. By manipulating the ignorance of the public they could make the buyer thing 'wow! Look at the tread on that tyre must be really grippy!' That this madness extends to even the thinnest of race tyres says a lot...

It also gives a manufacturer an easy way of making a whole range of tyres all aimed at different markets and price points by the simple expedient of using the same carcass and a bucketful of moulds of different patterns.
    Yes, the tread isn't really needed, but it is there, and directional. I'd love to hear from Conti as to why they include the directional arrows.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Not the first time this has been discussed, either. Conti says aerodynamics are better (not by much...) when rotating in the "right" direction.

Tire Rotation Direction

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This...

This...

And this...

and I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about there being a 'wheels & tires' section.
    Yes, where this has been discussed before, with an explanation from Conti regarding the directional nature of the tires.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, the tread isn't really needed, but it is there, and directional. I'd love to hear from Conti as to why they include the directional arrows.
    The marketing "feel good" answer? It's there so your tires go the right direction.

The real answer (that they're not likely to admit)? It is simply for rider peace of mind.

Think about it... if tread "adds zero performance", then putting the tread "backwards" subtracts zero performance.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The marketing "feel good" answer? It's there so your tires go the right direction.

The real answer (that they're not likely to admit)? It is simply for rider peace of mind.

Think about it... if tread "adds zero performance", then putting the tread "backwards" subtracts zero performance.
    A zero sum game, as it were.