RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018

Conversion Cassettes

Curious if anyone knows why finding conversion cassettes (shimano splines/campy spacing) is impossible these days. Seems everyone how manufactures (manufactured?) them no longer has any in stock. Any leads on who might still be carrying these? Looking for 10 speed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KuotaKC View Post
    Curious if anyone knows why finding conversion cassettes (shimano splines/campy spacing) is impossible these days. Seems everyone how manufactures (manufactured?) them no longer has any in stock. Any leads on who might still be carrying these? Looking for 10 speed
    I think it's basic economics: the market for conversion cassettes is drying up because of the switch to 11s. With 11s, there is no longer any need for such a product, since 11s cassettes are all cross-brand compatible.

Sure, there's still an older market for 10s conversion cassettes, but it's ONLY getting smaller, so more companies are getting OUT of that market, and none are getting into it.

When you look at the cost of a brand new Shimano 105 5800 drivetrain (or even full groupset), you can see why no one can make money on old conversion cassettes.

Matnlely Dregaend
    The 11 speed cross-compatibility has obviously killed this niche. Luckily I stocked up on american classic and ambrosio conversion cassettes 5 years ago. I only use them on my travel bike so they will likely outlast me. An alternative would be this. I use it for a Shimergo 10 spd bike and it works great once adjusted right. There is also the hard core diy way - take a shimano cassette that has individual cogs and insert / grind custom spacers until the spacing is correct.
    Last edited by DrSmile; 1 Week Ago at 09:16 PM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    I think it's basic economics: the market for conversion cassettes is drying up because of the switch to 11s. With 11s, there is no longer any need for such a product, since 11s cassettes are all cross-brand compatible.

Sure, there's still an older market for 10s conversion cassettes, but it's ONLY getting smaller, so more companies are getting OUT of that market, and none are getting into it.

When you look at the cost of a brand new Shimano 105 5800 drivetrain (or even full groupset), you can see why no one can make money on old conversion cassettes.
    For sure. And the market was probably never very wet to begin with. Most of use so into it that we post on a cycling forum probably see the need. But I think 99% of the market sees "bikes" not frames, groups and hubs being completely separate and being subject to this sort of thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks, that is what i was anticipating the issue was. I have contacted multiple manufacturers and they are all out of the game on conversion cassettes. So now looking to convert my Campy Chorus 10 to an 11 speed setup. Long story short, i have a 2017 Wahoo Kickr that cant be made Campy 10 compatible. I can run a Shimano 10 speed cassette with my Campy drivetrain, but its noisy and jumps cogs (have a Campy ultra-narrow chain on it too). I could monkey with the indexing, but that seems a pain since i use the bike on the road too. Seems a cheap partial upgrade would take care of all problems. So if i upgrade, what would I need....RD, cassette, chain, levers only? Thanks again for the input....this is driving me freaking nuts and am slightly pissed off at the industry right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KuotaKC View Post
    Thanks, that is what i was anticipating the issue was. I have contacted multiple manufacturers and they are all out of the game on conversion cassettes. So now looking to convert my Campy Chorus 10 to an 11 speed setup. Long story short, i have a 2017 Wahoo Kickr that cant be made Campy 10 compatible. I can run a Shimano 10 speed cassette with my Campy drivetrain, but its noisy and jumps cogs (have a Campy ultra-narrow chain on it too). I could monkey with the indexing, but that seems a pain since i use the bike on the road too. Seems a cheap partial upgrade would take care of all problems. So if i upgrade, what would I need....RD, cassette, chain, levers only? Thanks again for the input....this is driving me freaking nuts and am slightly pissed off at the industry right now.
    I have done the budget 10 to 11-speed update on several bikes. If it's pre-2015 stuff then the old FD is fine. Post 2015 you need the new FD also.

You need Shifters, RD, FD, cassette, chain.

You can use a 11-speed Shimano cassette but obviously the hub needs to be compatible.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    FWIW, I’m seeing prices of around $700 for Campy Potenza, full groupset.

Things are simpler with 11s since you can use any cassette you want. When I ran Campy I had shimano cassettes and often full drivetrains on all my bikes.