RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Converting Aluminum Fork To Carbon Fork

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I recently renewed my interest in cycling. I just picked up a new to me Giant FCR3 hybrid road bike (flat bar) (I used to ride drop bar a number of years back but am not in the position to ride that style anymore) the bike is equipped with a Aluminum frame with chromoly? Fork. My question is, would it be difficult to convert to front to a more comfort Carbon fork? For those of you who aren't familiar with the Giant FCR3, it is the early version of the Giant Escape hybrid with more quality component IMO. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'd need a 1" carbon fork with brake mounts. and similar geometry so you don't mess up handling. Maybe a CX fork, and even then you might not get the result you want. The whole "carbon is more comfortable" thing was the big sales pitch of 2005.

First look to better tires and lower pressure maybe.

What size and make are on there now, what do you weigh, and what pressures are you running?
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 09-04-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Russian Troll Farmer
    It is absolutely imperative that you replace it with a fork with similar rake (offset) and race-to-dropout length, or else you will screw up your handling/stability more than you can imagine.

Also, you will need to remove old bearing races and install new ones on both the steerer and the headtube. Depending on the type of steerer (threaded or threadless), this will require tools and technique that you may not have. Either get a book to show you what to do, or else check out the Park Tool videos on YouTube.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cbande View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I recently renewed my interest in cycling. I just picked up a new to me Giant FCR3 hybrid road bike (flat bar) (I used to ride drop bar a number of years back but am not in the position to ride that style anymore) the bike is equipped with a Aluminum frame with chromoly? Fork. My question is, would it be difficult to convert to front to a more comfort Carbon fork? For those of you who aren't familiar with the Giant FCR3, it is the early version of the Giant Escape hybrid with more quality component IMO. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I forgot to mention, the headset is threadless, the stock tire size is 700x28c.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    It is absolutely imperative that you replace it with a fork with similar rake (offset) and race-to-dropout length, or else you will screw up your handling/stability more than you can imagine.

Also, you will need to remove old bearing races and install new ones on both the steerer and the headtube. Depending on the type of steerer (threaded or threadless), this will require tools and technique that you may not have. Either get a book to show you what to do, or else check out the Park Tool videos on YouTube.
    Would it be possible if I found a giant branded fork? Without much modification? I have the tools and skill to do as much, I have just never done this particular mod on a bike

Russian Troll Farmer
    As long as the length and the offset are the same. You'l still need to replace the headset bearings, most likely. Giant is NOT a manufacturer of aftermarket components, so any "Giant branded" fork would've come off another bike. If you don't know how to at least measure what you have, abandon this project before you go any further. You will also need to know your steerer diameter, steerer length, etc. You will need bearing race extractor, hacksaw, bearing press, etc.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    If it is a chromoly fork, then it is steel and it will be a wash as far as comfort goes. A carbon fork might even be less comfortable. You would be able to shed about a pound of weight but I don't think weight would be a big consideration with that bike.