RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

converting an old shimano 600 2/8 to brifters?

I've been googling for about two days, but i still have a couple of question. I'm new to bikes so I'm still in the learning process. I have an old road bike that I really like, but I dont like the shifters on the downtube because I live in a very hilly area w/o any flats spots. It seems like I spend most of my time shifting so I want some brifters.

It looks like sora 8/2 brifters would work for me. I might be able to get away with a sora 2/9 using a tip from sheldon's site.

Maybe a Tiagra 9/3 set would work also? I'm just searching for a cheap way to get brifters

Here is an interesting problem, my rear derailer is indexed, but my front is friction. is this a problem?

Thanks
    Nick

Number 2 on the course.
    How about bar-end shifters? Not as convenient as integrated shifters, but likely cheaper.

Low Idiot Tolerance
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
    Here is an interesting problem, my rear derailer is indexed, but my front is friction. is this a problem?
    The shifters are indexed (well, the rear is), derailleurs aren't indexed (well, Positron is, but that's irrelevant).

The derailleur takes its instructions from the shifter. The front can be friction because it only has 2 positions, it's either in the big or the small ring.

Older Sora is about the only "recent" 8sp that I can think of at the moment, and that's nothing to write home about. Hunting eBay for second hand 8 speed brif... shifters (I can't say brifter, sounds too "elbow patch" for my liking) would likely net you some worn out sloppy old shifters unless you snaffled some new or low mileage ones. Bit of a lucky dip.

I'd go 9 speed shifters and swap the cassette to 9 speed, the rear derailleur won't care how many sprockets are on the cassette provided the maximum teeth capability of the derailleur is not exceeded. You'll need a 9sp chain as well.

Grumps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    i want to hold off on getting a 9 cassette since i just got a new 8 a few days ago for the hills.

On sheldon brown's site it shows how to use a 10 speed shifter on a 9 speed cassette at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html , can I use that trick to get a 9 speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette?

Climbin' Clyde

Brifters

Search Google, Ebay, or call your LBS to order a pair of Shimano ST-2300 8 speed brifters. They still make them - I just got a pair this winter to build a bike for a friend. Nice bonus - they have OGI's (gear indicators) built into the housings, and that they should sell for about half the price of the cheapest 9 speed brifters.

They're a little clunky feeling compared to Shimano's higher level offerings, but I'm pretty sure the guts are as durable as in any Shimano shifter.

Post pics when you install!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails converting an old shimano 600 2/8 to brifters?-orbea-built-medium-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the tip, I'll look for some

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=98358384812

You can get speed Sora shifters, new, here...double or triple. As stated before, they are not the highest of Shimano quality, but work well enough. You'll find may satisfied users.

This is a good solution if you are new to road biking and a much better value, I think, than ebay 8-speed and much less riskier than adapting 9-speed shifters to an 8-speed cassette.

Enjoy, good luck.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
    i want to hold off on getting a 9 cassette since i just got a new 8 a few days ago for the hills.

On sheldon brown's site it shows how to use a 10 speed shifter on a 9 speed cassette at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html , can I use that trick to get a 9 speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette?
    I would guess not because the spacing (total) changes by 5 mm's from 8 to 9 speed cassettes. 9 to 10 total spacing remains the same.

Probably slower than you.
    if you are changing from downtube shifters to brake lever shifting, go ahead and get the sora in an 8 speed. they work fine and you'll be perfectly happy with them. i've done this on 2 bikes. don't worry about the sora quality, you won't notice. the only real difference you will feel between them and a nicer set is that they use a thumb button for release-type shifts (shifts to smaller gears) than the secondary lever on high end shifters. some prefer this.

as far as the 2 vs 3 speed front, try to get a 2 speed shifter. they will both work, but having worked with both in a double chainring setup, the 2 speed shifter simply works better and is easier to tune. with a triple shifter on a double chainring, you can end up with weird extra clicks and index points on your shifts due to cable flex and derailleur top out positions. save the trouble (unless you plan on swapping the crank to a triple eventually).

as others posted, your derailleur is not indexed. your shifter is. your old derailleur will work just fine, even if you throw a 9 speed cassette on (but at that point you would want to change shifters).

i've picked up sora shifters nearly new for $40 off craigslist. a cheap upgrade to bring an old bike into the modern century.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always find Sheldon's sprocket spacing table very useful. Made me realise that I could run a late syncro 2 8 speed shifter with a 7-speed freewheel cluster:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you do go the ebay route looks tell alot about a shifter. If it looks old and ratty and is scrapped and scratched, than it probally is junk. I just picked up a great set of 8spd ultegra shifters of the bay this winter and they work great. Note, if you get a set of older shifter and they dont seem to be working, spray triflow down into the hole the cable goes in and really soak it good. It has brought back every shimano shfter i have encountered (and working at a bike shop i have seen this often) On ebay if you can find NOS. Which stands for New Original Stock than they are brand new and will work well. Note older durace 8 speed will not work with anything other than durace rear der.

Have any questions feel free to ask.

Bill