RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

Couple of questions about Force 22 brakes

I got some new wheels and the stock house brand brakes on my Pinarello FP2 won't open enough to accept the wheel without gabbing on the brake track. So I switch the Rival 10s calipers from my old bike since they have a few mm more space.

1st question: Is there any significant difference in the newer Force 22s brakes vs the Rival 10s? I know slight weight difference and cosmetic but what else. I read that Force may have a centering adjustment as well. Do they have better modulation or stronger braking? Just curious.

2nd question: Will Force 22s brake calipers work with Rival 10s shifter/brake levers?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Can't you just run your brakes with the quick release part open? And/or check if you can get thinner pads. Some are thicker than others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Not with the stock brakes. With the throw lever open and the cable loose, it still grabs the rim. See attached image.

Attachment 318482

Thinner pads may be an option, but I don't want to limit myself to those limited options for pads if I don't have to - plus with the ceramic brake track on the rims, I want as much pad as possible.

Right now it's working with the Rival 10s calipers. However if there is reason enough to upgrade, I might as well do it. If not, I may just stick with the Rival 10s calipers and put the M.O.S.T. calipers back on the trainer bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Don't know about Force 22, but I have an insert that came with Force 2012 that claims Force/Red is compatible with rim up to 28.5 mm width. It says "turn brake centering bolt clockwise until it stops. Turn the bolt counter-clockwise 3 turns or until there is 1-1.5 mm of clearance between the pads and the rim. Do not exceed 5 turns."

Not sure I can visualize how this works, but that's what SRAM says.

scott s.