RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Covert crankset from Italian to English?

Have a crankset originally spec'd with an Italian 70mm bottom bracket. Wondering if I could purchase English 68mm cups and bearings and simply swap them out and have the crankset work on my frame which has English threads? Or is the spindle inside the shell actually wider on an Italian than English and only replacing the cups and bearings not allow it to work?

The more research I've done the more I have confused myself. I've found conflicting answers.

Banned forever.....or not
    Your crankset doesn't care if it's on an English or Italian threaded bottom bracket. The only difference is the pitch and the direction of the threads on the fixed side.

And no, if your frame is threaded for an Italian bottom bracket, you cannot fit an English bottom bracket.

If an Italian bottom bracket is installed correctly, it will work just fine.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Crankset is originally spec'd with 70mm Italian BB.

Frame takes 68mm English BB.

I recognize Italian BB won't work with English threaded frame.

My question is with respect to 70mm vs 68mm. Is that the measurement of the spindle that is inside the BB shell? Or do those numbers refer to the actual threads of the cups?

Do I need to change just the cups from 70mm Italian to 68mm English? Or the whole bottom bracket which (I'm not sure) is 2 mm wider than what my frame accepts?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by waterloo; 03-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Spokane, Washington
    The only difference is the bottom bracket. Simply swap out the bottom bracket with the correct one for your bike and use your existing crankset. Easy-peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterloo View Post
    Crankset is originally spec'd with 70mm Italian BB.

Frame takes 68mm English BB.

I recognize Italian BB won't work with English threaded frame.

My question is with respect to 70mm vs 68mm. Is that the measurement of the spindle that is inside the BB shell? Or do those numbers refer to the actual threads of the cups?

Do I need to change just the cups from 70mm Italian to 68mm English? Or the whole bottom bracket which (I'm not sure) is 2 mm wider than what my frame accepts?

Thanks for the help.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    to answer the OP's question regarding what 68 & 70mm refer to, it's the bb shell width of the frame. the spindle length is going to be something over 100mm if you're using a square taper crank/bb, which is what i'm guessing given the wording of your question. for example, if you had Campy Record/Chorus 10spd double w/ square taper, the spindle would be 102mm, and the the cups would be either Italian or English...but the spindle would be the same regardless.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum