Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Creeky Sound from bottom bracket

I have recently started having a loud creeking sound from what I think is the bottom bracket on my Specialized Allez Comp. It only happens when I stand and pedal and I can't get it to happen at all if I am sitting. Even if I crank as hard as I can sitting it won't happen. But as soon as I stand it happens instantly.

Everything seems to be tight so I am not sure what it is. I think it is the bottom bracket because it has a creek-creek-creek sound with each pedal stroke. So for each pedal there is 1 creeking sound.

I know that there are *sounds* that we all chase on our bikes but I figured I would ask RBR to see if anyone could help.
    Is it too much to ask for a simple wave when you pass another rider on the street? Everyone is heads down training for the biggest ride of their life and they don't even realize that the world is passing right in front of them.

Steaming piles of opinion
    I just resolved a noise that I would have described exactly the same way. Turned out to be cleats creaking against shoes and the sound transmitting through things. Just something else to check.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    What did you do? Just tighten the cleats? If that is all that is the problem I will be SO happy.
    Is it too much to ask for a simple wave when you pass another rider on the street? Everyone is heads down training for the biggest ride of their life and they don't even realize that the world is passing right in front of them.

100% torqued
    Jun 2005
    Start there. Pull out one bolt at a time on the cleats, grease it and re-install. If still creaking, time to pull the cranks. You should also remove the pedals and grease those threads too. 15mm box or 6mm allen on the back of the pedal spindle usually. (Left pedal loosens clockwise) Then take out the crank bolts, check for tightness and grease. Chances are it is the cups on the BB though. Get a Park of Shimano BB tool and remove left cup, lefty loosey. Remove the drive side cup and remainder of BB righty loosey. (It loosens clockwise) Clean the threads of the frame with a rag, and same for bb. Put a good bit of grease on the threads of the frame and some plumbers tape on the threads of the bb cups. Re-install tight. Grease the crank bolts and spindle if it is Isis or Shimano Spline, if it is square just clean it well. Put them arms back on. Then put the pedals back on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Other sources

There are a number of things that could be causing this noise, including front QR skewer, bars or stem, brake levers (if you climb with your hands on the hoods), and so on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I do climb with my hands in the hoods but I am almost certain that the noise is coming from the lower part of the bike. I am going to go ahead and check the shoes first and then move to the BB. If that doesn't do it then the only thing left to do is work my way up the bike.

Noises like this suck. I can't wait to find out what it is then pass the info along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many people reported creeking issues with Dura Ace 7700 bottom brackets. Just tightening didn't seem to really solve the problem. Removing the drive side bottom bracket, cleaning, lubing or using blue loctite, and reinstalling seemed to be the best solution.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP
    Many people reported creeking issues with Dura Ace 7700 bottom brackets. Just tightening didn't seem to really solve the problem. Removing the drive side bottom bracket, cleaning, lubing or using blue loctite, and reinstalling seemed to be the best solution.
    I have a creaking bottom bracket as well. Does anyone have a link to a site that might have a do it yerself guide to removing, lubing and re-installing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP
    Is the 7700 the 2 piece cup deal, or something older.? I've got the 7800, just rode this morning, and that same f'ing creak is back. Recently pulled the crank, lubed everything up, and it was gone for maybe 100 miles. Know it's not shoes, seat, etc as I can duplicate the sound pushing down hard on the crank with my hand. Had installed the bb cups with anti-seize when I built the bike, and haven't touched since. Guess those are coming off tonight....

Mark

Headwinds seem to find me

Definitely check your QR Skewers

I would have sworn on a bible that my creaking noise was coming from my BB. It drove me crazy because it would only creak under certain conditions -- mainly when climbing. Then after reading a similar post to yours on RBR I applied more grease to my QR skewers -- problem solved!
    Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    I have a creaking bottom bracket as well. Does anyone have a link to a site that might have a do it yerself guide to removing, lubing and re-installing?
    parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com are great places to start for help of this sort...
    Suum quique.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lubed my qr's, took off the front derraileur and lubed the clamp and anti-seized the pedals. My noise seems to be gone for now after a hard ride this a.m. Still not convinced something isn't creaking in the bb area, but will take the quiet for now. Figure it'll show up again during a nice 10 mile climb, and drive me to insanity.

mg

I had an ax in my attic
    I have an allez elite with the same noise. can't figure it out. I always worry it is from the frame straining but i don't think it is. i don't think it is in the QR skewers.
    05 Allez Elite Double

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    As stated earlier, check all the stem bolts and the cap bolt (If you hear the noise when pushing down on one side of the handlebar then the other while the bike stationary, you have located to problem). Noises are a PITA the to find but a relief when silenced!

I had an ax in my attic
    Did a little testing and found the noise is from pushing the handlebars forward and back. I guess I should tighten it.
    05 Allez Elite Double

What up, dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow
    I would have sworn on a bible that my creaking noise was coming from my BB. It drove me crazy because it would only creak under certain conditions -- mainly when climbing. Then after reading a similar post to yours on RBR I applied more grease to my QR skewers -- problem solved!
    +1 - My Tuscany was driving me INSANE!! I tightened the rear skewer (tighter than I normally would...) and it solved the problem. Ti bikes are notorious for being noisy.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by c0braje7
    I have recently started having a loud creeking sound from what I think is the bottom bracket on my Specialized Allez Comp. It only happens when I stand and pedal and I can't get it to happen at all if I am sitting. Even if I crank as hard as I can sitting it won't happen. But as soon as I stand it happens instantly.

Everything seems to be tight so I am not sure what it is. I think it is the bottom bracket because it has a creek-creek-creek sound with each pedal stroke. So for each pedal there is 1 creeking sound.

I know that there are *sounds* that we all chase on our bikes but I figured I would ask RBR to see if anyone could help.
    Your bike sounds like running water???????????????

RoadBikeReview Member

If theres play

In the crankarms, it could be your bottom bracket. There should be no play.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I resolve creaks by turning up my IPod.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Hey there! Old forum but I had the same issue on my 93 Allez Epic (carbon lugged Frame)

I thought it may be the frame issue that plagues earlier models of carbon bikes, but after going through and tightening the crank set, pedals, and adjusting front derailleur the sound has gone away and my confidence on the bike is back. Just take 15 mins and make sure everything is tight on the entire driveshaft. Best of luck!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'm certain that the original poster found a solution about 12 years ago.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I'm certain that the original poster found a solution about 12 years ago.....
    Or they suffered a psychotic episode due to that noise 11 years ago.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It always seems to be the new guys that go hunting for threads that have been dead forever, doesn't it?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    It seems to be a pretty vital information especially for someone who might have just bought a new bike and I found this post Through research and once I found a solution I figured I would bump it because what if someone else has the same problem this thread will show up in Google and the solution will be right at the top

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by kipfromnightrider View Post
    It seems to be a pretty vital information especially for someone who might have just bought a new bike and I found this post Through research and once I found a solution I figured I would bump it because what if someone else has the same problem this thread will show up in Google and the solution will be right at the top
    Your 'solution' has been posted by dozens and dozens of people over the last 10+ years. You discovered nothing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast