RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Crooked presta valves

One of my presta valves is crooked, It still works, it just sits funny and makes inflating a pain seeing as it hits on the pump and lets air out when I take the pump off.

Any fix for this or should I just scrap and replace the tube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMo
    One of my presta valves is crooked, It still works, it just sits funny and makes inflating a pain seeing as it hits on the pump and lets air out when I take the pump off.

Since it is brass, you can gently bend it back into position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Valve or installation

Are you saying the valve stem is bent, or that it just comes out of the rim at an angle (other than the desired 90 degrees). If it is the former, I would not recommend bending brass and the tube is essentially shot. Far more likely is that you just didn't install the tube with the stem properly oriented. Assuming this is the case, deflate the tire, wiggle it a bit on the rim to straighten the valve stem, and then reinflate.

Professional Lurker
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Are you saying the valve stem is bent, or that it just comes out of the rim at an angle (other than the desired 90 degrees). If it is the former, I would not recommend bending brass and the tube is essentially shot. Far more likely is that you just didn't install the tube with the stem properly oriented. Assuming this is the case, deflate the tire, wiggle it a bit on the rim to straighten the valve stem, and then reinflate.
    Hmmm. Quite the nomenclature problem. People refer to a valve stem as both the complete valve (valve seat + valve stem) and the valve stem (the moving piece that has the knurled captive nut attached).

Assuming that it is just the valve stem and not the whole valve assembly that is bent, you should be able to bend it back with no difficulty (per matanza).

If the whole valve assembly is bent, then you should retire the tube. (per Kerry).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMo View Post

Srew the valve stem in all the way, (long thin one not the outside nut) which is used to hold the stem on the wheel). Then use a pliers to gently straighten it out while gripping on to stem.

Do this at home, not on the road. Be prepared to replace the tube it if it breaks. Some tubes have removable valve stems, so you might want to cannibalize one from an old tube with a hole in it.

I've had them break off from using C02 and twisting them inside the infllator or pump's valve. They get brittled from the cold. Conversely, metal is softer when its hot - so you might want to park in the sun for a bit before doing this.

Good luck.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by rooksmith View Post
    Srew the valve stem in all the way, (long thin one not the outside nut) which is used to hold the stem on the wheel). Then use a pliers to gently straighten it out while gripping on to stem.

Do this at home, not on the road. Be prepared to replace the tube it if it breaks. Some tubes have removable valve stems, so you might want to cannibalize one from an old tube with a hole in it.

I've had them break off from using C02 and twisting them inside the infllator or pump's valve. They get brittled from the cold. Conversely, metal is softer when its hot - so you might want to park in the sun for a bit before doing this.

Good luck.
    Did you notice how long ago the last post in this hugely popular thread was? You may now hold the record for the oldest thread dredge. Well done.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Good luck.
    You do know you're replying to a 12 year old post?

That's not even remotely true. In fact it's opposite of what you say. Copper alloys (brass), like most materials, get stronger as they get colder.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Russian Troll Farmer

Good luck.
    Wow, what a "hack" repair! I bet you break a LOT of valve that way. I sure wouldn't want YOU working on my bike with a set of pliers....

Seriously, if you didn't put the d@mn thing in correctly, deflate it and do it RIGHT.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    All this will do is further fatigue the already bent stem and make it even weaker - if it doesn't break on the spot.

If the bend really bothers you that much, just replace the tube. They're not prohibitively expensive. Otherwise, just leave it alone and ride it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger