Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I don't use a drop, nor do I use a stream. I use a partial drop per roller. Basically I open the bottle until it will drip but not run out, then put the tip on the bottom run of chain and backpedal. The chain will take oil that way, but less than a drop per link. Then wipe. Admittedly, that takes some practice to make it apply enough but not too much.

I do a final step too. When all done and wiped, I pedal the bike with good force on the stand. If it is a parking lot lube (rain during transport, for example), I ride around the parking lot. That forces much of any excess out, for a final wipe. I usually give a quick wipe after the first ride as well, per Lombard. That gets the very last of any excess off.

This has done me well, even for MTB in dry, western USA conditions.
    I use homebrew at 4 to 1 ratio. I squirt a stream on the chain, get it wet, than wipe it down multiple times. I don't have the kind of patience it takes to put individual drops on a chain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I use homebrew at 4 to 1 ratio. I squirt a stream on the chain, get it wet, than wipe it down multiple times. I don't have the kind of patience it takes to put individual drops on a chain
    I am using a 1 to 1 homebrew with equal parts synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits. What is your 4 to 1 formula?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Not sure what you're doing, it takes about 5 seconds. As someone else posted you're basically letting the chain pull the drops of lube from the tip of the bottle. No need to laboriously apply one single drop at a time on each roller, just run the chain under the bottle, but w/o squirting it all over.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Not sure what you're doing, it takes about 5 seconds. As someone else posted you're basically letting the chain pull the drops of lube from the tip of the bottle. No need to laboriously apply one single drop at a time on each roller, just run the chain under the bottle, but w/o squirting it all over.
    I am cleaning and lubing at the same time. I use homebrew with mostly mineral spirits. Squirt it on, wipe down the chain. I'll repeat if there is still crud coming off on the wiping ray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am using a 1 to 1 homebrew with equal parts synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits. What is your 4 to 1 formula?
    4 parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part motor oil. I have experimented with a higher percentage of oil but I think that just attracts more dirt without any noticeable benefit. Back in the day, it was said that one must use Mobil 1 synthetic. I've used both synthetics and conventional stuff made from dead dinosaurs and I highly doubt it matters. I have tried many different lubes over the years but I have mostly used home brew since the late 1990's

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    O noze!!!

Not another Home Brew Chain Lube Recipe thread!!

CX... isn't there a more appropriate subforum for chain lube recipe stuff?

Last edited by SPlKE; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:09 PM. Reason: Because ProLink... It's got what chains crave!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have the kind of patience it takes to put individual drops on a chain
    really...?

120 links takes about 120 seconds.

granted, that's some serious time, but still...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    really...?

The argument is that 120 seconds (drop per drop) is a heckuva lot longer than backpedalling the chain a few times at what, 4-5 seconds per revolution, while being a little more aggressive with the speed by which oil is applied.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    really...?

... 120 seconds if you're slow. Winding my chain backward while holding a cloth underneath where I'm dropping a drop per roller... I can do 2 or 3 rollers per second.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry Spike the launch sequence has already been initiated. Its inevitable

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.

I am cleaning and lubing at the same time. I use homebrew with mostly mineral spirits. Squirt it on, wipe down the chain. I'll repeat if there is still crud coming off on the wiping ray
    What oil are you using? I think I'm gonna mix some up and give it a go.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma601 View Post
    The crowd that applies the "more is better" thought to doing things. Has this been seen on any Campy Record or Dura Ace equipped bikes?
    It applies to all levels. I've seen Sram Red coated like CX posted. Just a sloppy mess.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    CX, hit us with the funny stuff too - you know, the ones the customers bring in and you have do your best to keep a poker face as you explain the errs of their ways.

Example: A friend brought a kid's bike to my house that was "... just unridable - the brakes, gears, nothing works right" I looked at the bike... rotated the handlebar 360 degrees and said "There ya go."

I can imagine you've seen some ridiculous stuff over the years
    I think he should set up a video because I want to see his poker face, then he can tell us what was really going through his head, lol.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    4 parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part motor oil. I have experimented with a higher percentage of oil but I think that just attracts more dirt without any noticeable benefit.
    Hmmm. Maybe I'll try more mineral spirits in my homebrew and see if that works cleaner after the first ride. The first ride seems to slime up the chain something awful because of lube working its way out of the rollers. Though as I said, a WD-40 soaked rag after that followed by a dry wipe cleans it up real nice and I'm good until the next lube.

I have tried many different lubes over the years but I have mostly used home brew since the late 1990's
    How many miles do you generally get out of your chains?

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Waiting for CX's pics of the day with baited breath.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I use Lilly Lube, which is very thin, and apply it in a stream on the bottom run of the chain while turning the cranks, then spin the cranks and wipe the chain with a rag, like the directions say. One drop per link I don't think would work well with this thin lube, and I don't think the chain would stay any cleaner. There is a certain amount of flushing out the contaminants that's going on as well.

Thick lubes, yeah, one drop per link. Thin lubes no.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.

It is kinda funny how serious people get. You can apply lube a lot of different ways, the more you put on the more important the 'wiping the excess off' becomes. You can use a LOT of different lubes, I'm definitely not very picky about that as long as it's not wax. All I want is something that will keep the chain quiet for a couple/few days and clean up easily. Lots and lost of lubes will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. That's why I keep telling people... forget the homebrew, forget all those fancy new chain lubes. Get ProLink, the one and only Best Chain Lube. ProLink... It's got what chains crave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    ... 120 seconds if you're slow. Winding my chain backward while holding a cloth underneath where I'm dropping a drop per roller... I can do 2 or 3 rollers per second.
    You're saying you get exactly one drop on exactly one roller every one third of a second for forty or so seconds?

I would love to see some high speed camera evidence of this.

If it's true... What's the point of having a rag underneath?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    You're saying you get exactly one drop on exactly one roller every one third of a second for forty or so seconds?

I would love to see some high speed camera evidence of this.

If it's true... What's the point of having a rag underneath?
    Hey, I'm not completely infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Waiting for CX's pics of the day with baited breath.
    I'm off today and tomorrow, I'll look for some old photos on my phone.

Always check for lizards when replacing a punctured tube...

Another good reason to wash your bike...it's easier to see where your frame is broken. Guy had no idea this had happened, he was just bringing it in for a tune up.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Another good reason to wash your bike...it's easier to see where your frame is broken. Guy had no idea this had happened, he was just bringing it in for a tune up.

We used to joke at my shop "Do you want the $50 detailing, the $75 detailing, or the $150 detailing? " (which correlated to how in depth the tune-ups were).
    It's a joke, but really cleaning a bike thoroughly and completely often reveals many things that might be wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast