Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    866

    Cyclometer Installation

    I just installed a Velo Wireless computer. As per the instructions, I installed the sensor on the rear of the fork. On one youtube video it was stated that it would be safer on the front of the fork. He explained that if it hit the spokes, it would be pushed away.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    I just installed a Velo Wireless computer. As per the instructions, I installed the sensor on the rear of the fork. On one youtube video it was stated that it would be safer on the front of the fork. He explained that if it hit the spokes, it would be pushed away.

    Any thoughts?
    I suppose there is some validity to that. Nonetheless I have always installed to the rear of the fork and after 25 years I am still alive

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,892
    Front of the fork, ALWAYS. How does that not make sense?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    866
    I reread the directions and this is how it is supposed to be installed. If it on the left side of the fork, it goes on the front, if it is on the right side of the fork, it goes on the back. Why, I don't know.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    866
    I emailed Cateye. They said that they recommend that the sensor be on the front of the fork. It is now on the front of the fork.

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,892
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    I reread the directions and this is how it is supposed to be installed. If it on the left side of the fork, it goes on the front, if it is on the right side of the fork, it goes on the back. Why, I don't know.
    I'll bet it has something to do w/ the battery cover being on top of the sensor. But as you've found out, front is best. Common sense rules again.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    663
    Strada Slim solves that controversy.

  8. #8
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,830
    People say that you should mount it on the back of the fork if you plan to ride south of the equator.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    People say that you should mount it on the back of the fork if you plan to ride south of the equator.
    I ride backwards when I'm south of the equator, so that makes sense.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I ride backwards when I'm south of the equator, so that makes sense.
    Sounds like a double negative to me.

  11. #11
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    984
    I mount mine on the chainstay..........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Similar Threads

  1. Best Wireless Cyclometer?
    By Bluebatmobile in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 02:46 PM
  2. Cyclometer for Mavic Elite bladed spokes
    By rockridge in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 08:58 PM
  3. Question about Planet Bike's Protege 9.0 Cyclometer
    By Mr Nick in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
  4. Best cyclometer other than Flight Deck?
    By bburgbiker in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 09:05 AM
  5. Exact Wheel Circumference for Cyclometer
    By kilofox in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •