Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

DA Di2 Disc brake lever pinches my fingers.

661 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  simplemind 
#1 ·
When I apply the brakes hard on my Di2 lever (with hands on the hood), the half-moon gear switch pinches or drives into my middle/ring fingers. I have followed the lever adjustments (2) and I have minimized free travel within the adjustment. When I pull on the lever, it comes within a 3/8"-1/2" of the grip. Is this a common issue, or do I need to do something else.

#2 ·
This can happen if there is air in the chamber or the pads are too worn down (check them, they go fast).

#4 ·
Okay, I bled the brakes f&r. They do feel a bit firmer, but that may be because of the time it took me to get it done! The levers when compressed, may be 1/8 th inch further from the bars, so at least it's in the right direction.

Now what I did discover was that the pads were indeed metallic. I have always shunned metallic pads on my XTR brakes. The organic pads always seem smoother, and take less force. Do you agree? The only downside I see (with organic) is they wear faster, but they're not expensive to replace

#5 ·
I just replaced my front (organic) pads and the brake lever definitely has more travel. I found some on Amazon for $17.50.

#7 ·
#8 ·
The pads and the Calipers are the same as XT(R). The calipers are re-branded. I actually have the XT one one the back now, after a warranty replacement.
Ahh, that makes sense now. I thought they looked very similar. Never know with Shimano...like why would you have to use a flat blade, philips, and hex, all in the same lever assy. crazy.

Anyway, I bought these pads:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P3DGIE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I swear they were $2 cheaper and not prime last week. Yeah, I've been buying the XT/XTR on eBay for $20, incl. sh.
Thanks for the reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.